NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Topstep's Nick Dolby (Social Media and Community Coordinator) - Ask me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 258 posts (612 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 121 posts (306 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 49 posts (167 thanks)
    4. looks_4 emini2000 with 36 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two DarkPoolTrading with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Topstep with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 491,349 views
    2. thumb_up 2,123 thanks given
    3. group 387 followers
    1. forum 1,296 posts
    2. attach_file 44 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Topstep's Nick Dolby (Social Media and Community Coordinator) - Ask me Anything (AMA)

dyst 
Singapore

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, Sierra, MT4
Trading: ES, CL, NG, XAUUSD, USDJPY
Thanks Given: 75
Thanks Received: 91

Topstep View Post
The rumors are true - Sierra Chart is working with Rithmic. We have confirmed with both SC and Rithmic. Sierra is confident that the stability/performance will be much better than the previous setup, and Rithmic confirmed the timing - May at the earliest. We are monitoring and will likely re-add once they are done with their work, and we have had the opportunity to test the new setup. It probably will not be re-added until H2 2021.

Thank you!

That's good news. I totally dislike rithmic platforms after unfortunate 'accidents' there with other prop firms. Rithmic has too much glitches/hiccups and customer service is poor.

Numbers work... Magic lies in the numbers
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

SBtrader82   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 222
Thanks Received: 1,333

Did you see the new feature of TopStep? I am so amazed, this is simply wonderful!!!
I have been funded and lost the account a couple of time, but I have never doubted a single moment about the honesty and value of this company.
However today I must say they made a quantum leap in terms of quality!!

I cannot emphasize how much I love the new setup.
Basically we now have a "practice account" which we can reset for free that allow us to practice even if we made some mistake in the account that is being evaluated. For me this is incredibly useful because since it's something "visible" it's more than a sim account that you might have in your own platform and at the same time if allow you to keep trading without risking your TST account.

On top of this they added a feature to create a business plan and to evaluate if you stick to it or not. This is just amazing!!
I am looking forward to be funded again.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
 stumbras 
Denver, Colorado

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Trdstation Trgview Motiwa
Broker: EdgeClear, Tradestation
Trading: Futures and Forex
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 20

I am thinking to start new Swing Combine(anybody done it?). I work days thus I always trade after hours - would regular combine work for me?

awesomizer 
Portage, MI

Platform: Bookmap, Tradingview
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 219
Thanks Received: 63

SBtrader82 View Post
I noticed that nobody commented on the decision of TopStep to make scaling plan easier... this is the email that I received on January 16th.
I think it is another proof that this company is extremely serious. I cannot stress enough how much TopStep has helped me improve my trading style.
Now that you can "forget" about the scaling plan, it becomes even easier to trade, because you will have less stress about making a mistake..... now it's really all about managing risk.

I am currently in a combine using TSTrader and I don’t see the option anywhere to enable max position size. How do you do this?

Thanked by:

SBtrader82   is a Vendor

awesomizer View Post
I am currently in a combine using TSTrader and I don’t see the option anywhere to enable max position size. How do you do this?

You don't have to do anything....if you are using a platform based on Rithmic, the system itself will prevent you from going above the max size.
Be careful because it works 99,99% of the times but there are situations in which the system cannot block you and thus you will break a rule. (Read the disclaimer about this by tst).

For instance if you are with rithmic, you will see that of you cannot buy more than 3 cars if your profit is just 300 usd, and below 2k you cannot buy more than 5 car etc....

Hope this helps
Sb

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

SBtrader82   is a Vendor

awesomizer View Post

Sorry...I just noticed that I didn't read your message in details. You are with TSTtrader, so in this case you're not with Rithmic and this does not apply to you.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

awesomizer 
Portage, MI

Thanks @SBtrader82, considering using the standard Tradovate platform, it is possible to set max position size, I hope Topstep will enable this feature in TSTrader.

matthew28 
United Kingdom

Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

awesomizer View Post
.....considering using the standard Tradovate platform, it is possible to set max position size, I hope Topstep will enable this feature in TSTrader.

The risk management functions that the Tradovate platform has (max DLL, WLL, number of contracts), aren't in the TSTrader platform. I don't know if that is because they could conflict with the Topstep program risk management system, but whatever the reason, TStrader doesn't have all the option settings of those trading their own Tradovate account.

The maximum contracts in the scaling plan is set automatically and you don't need to do anything, and as mentioned in the email highlighted in your earlier post today, it applies with the TSTrader platform and not just Rithmic.
Also Topstep already gave a grace period of ten seconds to bring your maximum position back inside the permitted maximum number, if you did "fat finger" a trade just in case there is an instance where an extra contract is still allowed to be placed in error.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden
Thanked by:

awesomizer 
Portage, MI

@matthew28

this is the email I received 2 days ago:

states would fail if even for just a few seconds, and since TSTrader doesn’t have the option to set max size I’m not willing to mess up my account to find out if that is true or not.

the way they word the email makes it sound like there is nothing in place to stop you from going over

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE51C0D7-4606-460A-A418-BA228C673010.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	312549  

matthew28 
United Kingdom

Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

awesomizer View Post
the way they word the email makes it sound like there is nothing in place to stop you from going over

Check with Topstep then to be on the safe side.
But you are using TSTrader so the scaling plan will be enforced automatically for Combine Step 2 and Pro accounts (and in Step 1 you could never exceed the maximum size anyway as that has always been prevented).

The page related to the Combine scaling plan mentions the 10 second rule at the bottom.
https://help.futures.topstep.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000140787-What-is-the-scaling-plan-

Interestingly the page related specifically to the scaling plan for funded accounts, which mentions the ability to scale up in the future, doesn't talk about the 10 second rule.
https://help.futures.topstep.com/hc/en-us/articles/220389528-What-is-the-scaling-plan-

Maybe the 10 second rule doesn't apply in Funded/Premium Funded accounts but that would seem very strange to remove that protection if trading real money.
Maybe somebody from @Topstep will confirm at some point too.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden

Closed Thread

Last Updated on January 31, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts