NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Topstep's Nick Dolby (Social Media and Community Coordinator) - Ask me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 258 posts (612 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 121 posts (306 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 49 posts (167 thanks)
    4. looks_4 emini2000 with 36 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two DarkPoolTrading with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Topstep with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 491,891 views
    2. thumb_up 2,123 thanks given
    3. group 387 followers
    1. forum 1,296 posts
    2. attach_file 44 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Topstep's Nick Dolby (Social Media and Community Coordinator) - Ask me Anything (AMA)

Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

The answer is probably no, but I will ask it anyway: Is there a way to finish a bigger profitable combine earlier and apply its numbers to a smaller combine? The point would be not wasting time, if the trader realized he doesn't want/need so many contracts traded.

For example I sign up for the 150K/20 days Combine and after 10 days, I made 5.1K profits, while never trading more than 5 cars at any given time. Then I realize that I am comfortable with trading max. 5 cars, so with these stats and profit, I would have passed the 50K/10days combine (or even the longer 50K combine). So can I apply/ask to get it done instead of trading 10 more days and then restarting (assuming I didn't make the 150K profit target) and doing another 10 days in the 50K/10 days? That would be 20 days wasted, just to prove something what I have already done????

P.S.: I do know someone who is in this scenario, so it is not entirely hypothetical....

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Topstep
Chicago, IL

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 746

Pedro40 View Post
The answer is probably no, but I will ask it anyway: Is there a way to finish a bigger profitable combine earlier and apply its numbers to a smaller combine? The point would be not wasting time, if the trader realized he doesn't want/need so many contracts traded.

For example I sign up for the 150K/20 days Combine and after 10 days, I made 5.1K profits, while never trading more than 5 cars at any given time. Then I realize that I am comfortable with trading max. 5 cars, so with these stats and profit, I would have passed the 50K/10days combine (or even the longer 50K combine). So can I apply/ask to get it done instead of trading 10 more days and then restarting (assuming I didn't make the 150K profit target) and doing another 10 days in the 50K/10 days? That would be 20 days wasted, just to prove something what I have already done????

P.S.: I do know someone who is in this scenario, so it is not entirely hypothetical....

Pedro- TopstepTrader does not evaluate traders like you mention. The scouts evaluate based on the Combine you are in and the objective of that Combine. Also try and look at the Combine as a development tool (if used properly). It will not be a waste of your time.

I hope that helps. Great question.

mp

vercetti
Manchester, NH

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 12

Hello,

I'm trying to do some research about TopStepTrader Live Trader Preparation period. My understanding is that after completing successfully a Combine, a trader must go through a Live Trader Preparation period before he or she is allow to trade a full Live trading account. This apply to all traders or some traders? If applies to some traders, then is this related to the metrics in the Combine? What will be the cause to place a trader on the Live Trader Preparation period?

Thanked by:
Topstep
Chicago, IL

vercetti View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to do some research about TopStepTrader Live Trader Preparation period. My understanding is that after completing successfully a Combine, a trader must go through a Live Trader Preparation period before he or she is allow to trade a full Live trading account. This apply to all traders or some traders? If applies to some traders, then is this related to the metrics in the Combine? What will be the cause to place a trader on the Live Trader Preparation period?

Vercetti- This is a case by case situation. There are times where the scouts see things in a traders trade report or their style of trading that they want to discuss with them. They will call up this trader and discuss the Live Trader Preparation. Typically they will not have a profit target or may have a profit target cut in half, depending on the decision of the scout team vote. Performance metrics will be dropped and the time it takes to complete the objective will be dropped.

Basically we are looking to see if their trading performance was a fluke and if consistency and discipline are still intact. Typically it is 50/50 if a trader is selected for live trader preparation or straight to live.

Hope that helps. Great question.

mp

PK007 
South Africa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tastyworks, Ninjatrader
Broker: Tastyworks, IB, Ninja
Trading: Stocks, Options and Futures
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 121

TopstepTrader View Post
Pedro40- Thanks for the help.

daytrader07- We actually have about 28 active funded traders. We have funded over 150+ in the last two years. We are now averaging at least 2 traders a week that are coming up to the team of funded traders (live traders).

Hope that helps.

mp

Hi Michael,

Apologies for referring to an older post you made back in February. Why is there such a big turnaround in active traders over the last two years? Maybe a better question would be, why do active traders leave? Do they get job offers from other firms or decide to trade on their own after they made some profits? I don't have any experience trading with a firm so this might be the norm.

Thanks

Peter

Thanked by:
Topstep
Chicago, IL

PK007 View Post
Hi Michael,

Apologies for referring to an older post you made back in February. Why is there such a big turnaround in active traders over the last two years? Maybe a better question would be, why do active traders leave? Do they get job offers from other firms or decide to trade on their own after they made some profits? I don't have any experience trading with a firm so this might be the norm.

Thanks

Peter

PK007- This is a common number with firms. Many prop groups have hired on hundreds of traders that last days, weeks, months and sometimes a year or more. Traders come and go as this is a profession that is based strictly on performance. Some traders with good talent lose their head or go through other personal issues that take them out of staying in tune with the market and thus directly affects their performance.

Let me know if that helps.

mp

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

Looks like TST website does not allow anymore to see other trader's track record with badges. It was still available yesterday, I believe. I can see my own track record no problem.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
Topstep
Chicago, IL

xelaar View Post
Looks like TST website does not allow anymore to see other trader's track record with badges. It was still available yesterday, I believe. I can see my own track record no problem.

xelaar- We have always only allowed a trader to see their own track record as trading is your own personal journey. As an fyi, many traders are using the trade reports to build their own track record for certain products or trading strategies that they can then use for other opportunities if their performance is not meeting the objective TST is looking for.

mp

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

TopstepTrader View Post
xelaar- We have always only allowed a trader to see their own track record as trading is your own personal journey. As an fyi, many traders are using the trade reports to build their own track record for certain products or trading strategies that they can then use for other opportunities if their performance is not meeting the objective TST is looking for.

mp

They were perfectly visible until yesterday, and I can still can see some other's profile track record. I am not talking about trade reports, only these badges like 1k day and 5 days win streak.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
Topstep
Chicago, IL

xelaar View Post
They were perfectly visible until yesterday, and I can still can see some other's profile track record. I am not talking about trade reports, only these badges like 1k day and 5 days win streak.

Xelaar- I was informed the achievement badges are working. Some recruits may not have achieved any badges yet.

mp

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on January 31, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts