NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Topstep's Nick Dolby (Social Media and Community Coordinator) - Ask me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 258 posts (612 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 121 posts (306 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 49 posts (167 thanks)
    4. looks_4 emini2000 with 36 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two DarkPoolTrading with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Topstep with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 491,891 views
    2. thumb_up 2,123 thanks given
    3. group 387 followers
    1. forum 1,296 posts
    2. attach_file 44 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Topstep's Nick Dolby (Social Media and Community Coordinator) - Ask me Anything (AMA)

stumbras 
Denver, Colorado

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Trdstation Trgview Motiwa
Broker: EdgeClear, Tradestation
Trading: Futures and Forex
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 20

3 questions:

1. Why bitcoin futures not included in tradable products?
2. Why did you choose Tradovate and Tradestation as the main partners(it appears everybody else chose Ninjatrader)?
3. What do you think about Order Flow tools and will you make those available to your Combine participants?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

matthew28 
United Kingdom

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

stumbras View Post
3 questions:

1. Why bitcoin futures not included in tradable products?
2. Why did you choose Tradovate and Tradestation as the main partners(it appears everybody else chose Ninjatrader)?
3. What do you think about Order Flow tools and will you make those available to your Combine participants?

I'll have a go while you wait for Topstep:

1. Tradovate don't list BTC as a tradable product. Ninjatrader do and they give the margin required per contract as $40,000, compare that to $500 for the US equity index futures. That will be because of the volatility and low liquidity of the product. Topstep require traders to be flat within 2% of an exchange circuit breaker level. For the equity index futures that is if price drops 5% which happened on a few days during the pandemic sell off. Bitcoin can move multiples of that percentage in a day.

When you start Funded you have a few thousands Dollars maximum drawdown and people can blow their accounts quickly enough trading the NQ for instance, something more volatile like the BTC and you are just attracting gamblers trying to pass the Combines on one trade and resetting until they do so, not people who can trade consistently and might be able to trade a Funded account for the long term.

2. Ninjatrader is one of their partners and an available trading platform. Anybody using a Rithmic platform who gets funded will have that account opened with the Ninjatrader brokerage.

3. TSTrader has Footprint charts, volume profile, DOM for free.
Ninjatrader orderflow tools aren't available I believe unless you buy the licence, but there are plenty of free indicators around to download, such as off this forum.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,344
Thanks Received: 26,267

Topstep View Post
The rumors are true - Sierra Chart is working with Rithmic. We have confirmed with both SC and Rithmic. Sierra is confident that the stability/performance will be much better than the previous setup, and Rithmic confirmed the timing - May at the earliest. We are monitoring and will likely re-add once they are done with their work, and we have had the opportunity to test the new setup. It probably will not be re-added until H2 2021.

Thank you!

The question of Sierra Chart and Rithmic getting together, with Rithmic using the DTC interface that SC developed, came up in February of this year, but there have been only dribs and drabs coming out at odd times since. It would make it possible to use SC with TopStep. (I believe you can now, but using an older interface that SC has withdrawn support for, and that TopStep only allows for older, existing SC users, not new ones.)

So I posed the question to SC today, and here is their reply:

"Support for the new Rithmic connection is done and released. But Rithmic wants to do some testing with one or two users first but basically from our perspective it is released and done. Here is the documentation:
https://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?page=doc/Rithmic.php"

(Source: https://www.sierrachart.com/SupportBoard.php?ThreadID=55799 -- it's a looonnng thread, scroll to the end.)

I would not jump into using this until Rithmic gives the go-ahead, but it's progress.

@Topstep, do you have any news on anything going on at your end? Is there an ETA?

Bob.

-----------------

Edit: I just saw this note at the bottom of the SC Rithmic documentation: *Last modified Friday, 18th June, 2021.

That's today!

So I suppose this is still a work in progress....

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

Phoenixoboros 
Paris France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart,TradeStation
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: CME Futures & US Treasury Bonds Futures (week) and Bitcoin (week-end)
Thanks Given: 95
Thanks Received: 65

Hello,

Why are Micros held to the same limit of maximum allowed open contracts as Minis considering they are 10th the size?
To my knowledge you are an outlier in that regard.

Regards,

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
Topstep
Chicago, IL

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 746

bobwest View Post
The question of Sierra Chart and Rithmic getting together, with Rithmic using the DTC interface that SC developed, came up in February of this year, but there have been only dribs and drabs coming out at odd times since. It would make it possible to use SC with TopStep. (I believe you can now, but using an older interface that SC has withdrawn support for, and that TopStep only allows for older, existing SC users, not new ones.)

So I posed the question to SC today, and here is their reply:

"Support for the new Rithmic connection is done and released. But Rithmic wants to do some testing with one or two users first but basically from our perspective it is released and done. Here is the documentation:
https://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?page=doc/Rithmic.php"

(Source: https://www.sierrachart.com/SupportBoard.php?ThreadID=55799 -- it's a looonnng thread, scroll to the end.)

I would not jump into using this until Rithmic gives the go-ahead, but it's progress.

@Topstep, do you have any news on anything going on at your end? Is there an ETA?

Bob.

-----------------

Edit: I just saw this note at the bottom of the SC Rithmic documentation: *Last modified Friday, 18th June, 2021.

That's today!

So I suppose this is still a work in progress....

Hi Bob,

As you gathered, still a work in progress. We will share updates across our channels as they come to fruition.

Thanks!

Thanked by:

dannyinhouston 
Houston Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, YM, NQ, ES
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 1,044

SBtrader82 View Post
Concerning the Ponzi scheme, TopStep is definitely not a ponzi scheme. When you get funded the orders actually go to the market and are not "managed internally".

I asked OneUp whether the orders go to the market or not, they told me they manage the orders internally (what does this this mean?).

So draw your own conclusions.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Did you also ask if they take the other side of the trade?

dannyinhouston 
Houston Texas

Dear Topstep, One UP and other potential customers.

I've been there, done that.

My trading demon is over trading. After many blown accounts I have finally managed to at least defeat this demon on most days, and have become consistently profitable.

Be careful, you will loose track of your resets, and one day you will look back and see $5,000 in charges to your credit card spent on resets. It add up.

Live accounts won't let you do this to yourself, you have to send them actual money.

If I had been trading a live account, those losses could be banked a capital gains losses, and could have been applied to future gains (60/40 Section 1256 contracts IRS).

With micros, you can now put a few hundred dollars into a live account and trade for real, no restrictions. Losses get banked as capital gain losses. Learn to trade with micros, once you master your own demons, it's 100% scalable to a full mini contract or 10 or 25 minis.

I am ready for anyone to have a friendly debate on this. Prove my logic wrong.

Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 389
Thanks Received: 529

dannyinhouston View Post

I am ready for anyone to have a friendly debate on this. Prove my logic wrong.

If you're going to lose or donate money in the market anyway - sure it's better to trade real money for tax purposes.

If you're a successful profitable trader and only have $350 in capital - a get funded company probably is your best bet as you will gain more leverage.

If, however, you're a successful profitable trader with $5K in capital, you're probably better off funding an account with $5K yourself. As that's effectively what these companies are giving you.

Thanked by:

dannyinhouston 
Houston Texas

I think in general the audience here, and for 99% of the Topstep /OneUp users, are not successful traders looking for a means to fund an account. The audience here are beginning traders who will have to loose money before they become successful.

EVERY successful trader looses money at the beginning of their journey.

Thanked by:
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 389
Thanks Received: 529

dannyinhouston View Post
I think in general the audience here, and for 99% of the Topstep /OneUp users, are not successful traders looking for a means to fund an account. The audience here are beginning traders who will have to loose money before they become successful.

EVERY successful trader looses money at the beginning of their journey.

One could argue then that these people should not fund an account to begin with.

You mentioned $5K in subscription fees. Quite frankly, if that's all anyone pays in tuition to the market that's a really small investment.

Personally, I've lost way more than that trading a real account pre-maturely. If anything, I regret not doing serious simulator training for a long time before trading real money. There was a guy here who lost I believe 80K in a very short amount of time.

As for funding a $350 micro account versus a combine, I don't really have a strong opinion. Might as well stay in simulator for a while.

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on January 31, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts