NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

FlexRenko in day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Outlander with 379 posts (119 thanks)
    2. looks_two inverter with 83 posts (29 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Amnesia with 35 posts (39 thanks)
    4. looks_4 lemons with 28 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one MWinfrey with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two cory with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Amnesia with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Outlander with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 122,419 views
    2. thumb_up 300 thanks given
    3. group 49 followers
    1. forum 661 posts
    2. attach_file 420 attachments

Search this Thread

FlexRenko in day trading

Amnesia
Vienna Austria

Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 67

omni72 View Post
Excellent input @Amnesia, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your updated findings.

Though I'm sure we are using different techniques & settings, I've also found similar raw results: GC looks like a prime market and 6E can be a challenge.

I'm using 30-29-28 settings for 6E and here is a quick test run for today:

Since I'm still early into testing, trade management settings are quite loose. The trades highlighted in yellow are trades that would not have been allowed to double-back on themselves if traded live. The last trade probably wouldn't have been taken because of time of day.

Also, thank you @Outlander for letting us piggyback some idea sharing onto your thread If it's too distracting, just let us know and we can start a separate thread.

Are you using the retrace stratetgy or the breakout (buystop sellstop) strategy with those settings?

@Hapster

Did you take the system live yet or are you still in the process of finalizing/tweaking the settings?

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

omni72 
Tulsa, OK

Thanks Given: 582
Thanks Received: 624

Amnesia View Post
Are you using the retrace stratetgy or the breakout (buystop sellstop) strategy with those settings?

This iteration was retraces/pullbacks only.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ~ Seneca

Outlander 
Vänersborg Sweden

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra
Broker: Transact
Trading: YM,EMD,DAX,CL,CG
Thanks Given: 559
Thanks Received: 141

Thanks to all of your post on this thread. Would be best if we keept this Renko discussion on this thread. That was my intention from the start of the thread. Only glad if any of my post are off any use. I have been looking at numbers bars lately and if they are of any use with FlexRenko. If using setings like 30-29-28 and larger the pullback bars can be quite large without the trend changes. If using numbers bars and have the pullback column on might pin point the entry on the pullback. I have never used numbers bars in the past so any feedback in this matter would be nice. Regards Outlander

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Amnesia
Vienna Austria

Testing the gold strategy on a free 2 week topsteptrader account today so it seems to be working rather nicely, a lot of 20-40 second trades and a couple of trades that were held for much longer.

Interessting results, 12K profit on a 150K simulated trading account for basically 2-3 hours of work. I am really happy with how Gold is turning out at the moment.

6E is simply a fucking disaster at times, the smaller timeframes will fuck you over on buy/sell stop entries because of the excessive risk of a reversal signal bar literally popping up 3-4 candles later. As for the buyback(retrace) entries.. they are fine sometimes but still a high risk and running some simple spreadsheet calculations you will end up being highly unfavourably.
So as it stands right now anything but the higher tickrange charts on 6e seem not to be doable, simply because of the lack of volatility. I am reverting back to my method of entries and exits for scalping the 6e for now since its much more accurate, i am keeping a 30-29-28 chart open for now in case i catch a trend and to keep me inside the move.

I am liking the results i am getting on the Equity derivatives though (especially Russel). Have not tested other commodities other than GC for now because of the implied volatility.

Going live Tommorow @ US session once i have a buffer in the morning.
@Hapster

Have you taken it live yet?

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Amnesia View Post
Interessting results, 12K profit on a 150K simulated trading account for basically 2-3 hours of work. I am really happy with how Gold is turning out at the moment.

Amount of profit is not the best way to measure.

Post your MAE and MFE per trade and examine risk compared to return. If your profit is consistently above 1R per trade and your position sizing is such that no single trade exceeds roughly 2% of your funds, you are doing well.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Amnesia
Vienna Austria

Big Mike View Post
Amount of profit is not the best way to measure.

Post your MAE and MFE per trade and examine risk compared to return. If your profit is consistently above 1R per trade and your position sizing is such that no single trade exceeds roughly 2% of your funds, you are doing well.

Mike

@Big Mike

There is obviously no disagreement about this on my behalf, the other screenshots i have posted have the sierraversion of Entry Efficiency and Exit Efficiency on them. I would post the information but the platform topstep provides does not really hand out that information.

As for the 1R and the % size of account. for this account the risk per trade was below 0.5% per trade with 6 exceptions. The trades did not necessarily have a 1R on them, most of the time it was well above that but in my live system i sometimes dont get to 1R simply because if you are scalping for 3-4 ticks profit and your stop is about 3-6 ticks you have to compensate with a very high accuracy rate, which for me is about 80-90% depending on the instrument and varies on a month to month basis.

I would agree with you though that for a system that i want to automate these things need to be "in order" or "in place" before you can deploy it efficiently, but right now i am still working on these details.

Hapster 
San Diego, California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, Felton
Trading: CL, GC
Thanks Given: 40
Thanks Received: 81

Not quite yet, but close...

Hap

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

lemons 
Tallinn, Estonia

Platform: SC
Trading: NAS100

Amnesia View Post
Attachment 108977

Testing the gold strategy on a free 2 week topsteptrader account today so it seems to be working rather nicely, a lot of 20-40 second trades and a couple of trades that were held for much longer.

6E is simply a fucking disaster at times, the smaller timeframes will fuck you over on buy/sell stop entries because of the excessive risk of a reversal signal bar literally popping up 3-4 candles later. As for the buyback(retrace) entries.. they are fine sometimes but still a high risk and running some simple spreadsheet calculations you will end up being highly unfavourably.
So as it stands right now anything but the higher tickrange charts on 6e seem not to be doable, simply because of the lack of volatility. I am reverting back to my method of entries and exits for scalping the 6e for now since its much more accurate, i am keeping a 30-29-28 chart open for now in case i catch a trend and to keep me inside the move.

I am liking the results i am getting on the Equity derivatives though (especially Russel). Have not tested other commodities other than GC for now because of the implied volatility.

Going live Tommorow @ US session once i have a buffer in the morning.
@Hapster

Have you taken it live yet?

@Amnesia

As I undestand that its only 1 days results ? 16 april ?

Amnesia
Vienna Austria

Correct lemons.

Outlander 
Vänersborg Sweden

Platform: Sierra
Broker: Transact
Trading: YM,EMD,DAX,CL,CG
Thanks Given: 559
Thanks Received: 141

Shows the right time twice a day. DAX so far worked ok. As most of the time the shorts doing better than the long trades. Entry are on pullbacks but not with a fixed stop entry 4 ticks from H/L. It uses a rolling entry and the larger the pullback the closer from H/L the entry stops gets. Regards Outlander

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAX.PNG
Views:	259
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	109048  
Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 17, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts