NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

No BS Day Trading www.nobsdaytrading.com

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one spideysteve with 12 posts (14 thanks)
    2. looks_two Heph333 with 11 posts (63 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ReeceD with 10 posts (78 thanks)
    4. looks_4 alejo with 9 posts (20 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one BeachTrader with 26.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two jstnbrg with 14.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ReeceD with 7.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Heph333 with 5.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 157,511 views
    2. thumb_up 750 thanks given
    3. group 131 followers
    1. forum 189 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

No BS Day Trading www.nobsdaytrading.com

Heph333 
Springfield, MO/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Jigsaw
Broker: AMP CQG
Trading: ZN, ZB
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 88

Just a quick follow-up. I've stuck with the No BS principles since my last post and just concluded the 4 most consistently profitable months of my 13 year trading career. I have changed the tick chart to a range chart. I didn't like how the tick chart varied so much between volatile and non-volatile days. Other than that, nothing has changed. The chart is only to be a reminder of past price actions. All entries and exits are based on the depth, profile and orders I see on the DOM.

Stats aren't anything spectacular: 48% win rate. 0.22% avg winner 0.15% average loser. But that came out to a profit factor of 1.59 and exceeded my returns for the previous 20 months combined. It really only takes a small edge, but when you compound that edge over many opportunities and time it equals a nice income.

and while I haven't purchased the full thousand dollar webinar, John has always been very gracious answering my e-mails and giving advice when asked.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
65 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
40 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
29 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

spideysteve 
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT, MT4, Jigsaw
Broker: Continuum
Trading: ZN, ES
Thanks Given: 363
Thanks Received: 170

Heph333 View Post
Just a quick follow-up. I've stuck with the No BS principles since my last post and just concluded the 4 most consistently profitable months of my 13 year trading career. I have changed the tick chart to a range chart. I didn't like how the tick chart varied so much between volatile and non-volatile days. Other than that, nothing has changed. The chart is only to be a reminder of past price actions. All entries and exits are based on the depth, profile and orders I see on the DOM.

Stats aren't anything spectacular: 48% win rate. 0.22% avg winner 0.15% average loser. But that came out to a profit factor of 1.59 and exceeded my returns for the previous 20 months combined. It really only takes a small edge, but when you compound that edge over many opportunities and time it equals a nice income.

What instrument/s are you trading? John trades mainly treasuries so I've focused on them since buying the courses but just curious what you did.

Heph333 
Springfield, MO/USA

spideysteve View Post
What instrument/s are you trading? John trades mainly treasuries so I've focused on them since buying the courses but just curious what you did.

ZN and ZB exclusively. I trade ZB much more than Notes. That probably has to do with my background of price action trading. I'm sure there's a lot of AL Brooks going into my analysis subconsciously. The Order flow on ZN and ZF are the context which I base my trades in ZB. I really don't see the order flow signals in ZB like I do in the other two.

empty 
Louisville, Kentucky

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, TastyTrade
Broker: Various
Trading: Futures, Options
Thanks Given: 1,938
Thanks Received: 195

KelvinKing View Post
So, at the end of day, it really depends on what sort of trading style you want to adopt. If you are more towards swing trading, of even intraday swing trading, then this course wouldn't be of much benefit for you. However, if you are leaning towards being a scalper and really identifying pure short term order flow imbalances and taking advantage of that, then I think this course is the best one out there for that.

Cheers!

Although I know what you're trying to say, I disagree with the premise. I intraday swing trade and I use John's stuff to get me into and out of entries. Once I find an area of interest I start watching the order flow closely to see what it's telling me. If it's confirming what I think should happen, then I get in. If not I wait. Similarly when I exit the position it's generally based on what I'm seeing, specifically if it's a trade that has gone against me. Once it trades to my "stop" level, I pay attention to how it's reacting. If it trades to that level but has no conviction then I might give it another tick. I realize no everyone likes to approach it this way, but for me the tape informs my decision making on those intraday swings.

Additionally I will take scalps throughout the day depending on what's happening. This probably helps my ADHD more than it does my bottom line but it keeps me engaged.

Empty

KelvinKing 
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, Continuum
Trading: FESX, FGBL
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 148

empty View Post
Although I know what you're trying to say, I disagree with the premise. I intraday swing trade and I use John's stuff to get me into and out of entries.
Empty

Actually, I also did use to use it for confirming and fine tuning entries, and I still do from time to time. The problem is, you tend to get caught up in the minutia of the order flow, and the result of getting out prematurely of your trades, and not seeing them to target.

For this aspect, I feel that the Basic and Intermediate course is enough.

You will only reap the real benefits from the Webinar if you intend to make scalping a major part of your trading strategy.

Cheers!

Thanked by:

Heph333 
Springfield, MO/USA

I think this is the benefit of order flow as presented by Peter Davies. If you already have a methodology that is profitable, order flow can take what may have been trades with a 1:1 risk:reward and turn them into 1:2, significantly improving profitability. If your method tells you to get into a trade in this area, order flow can fine tune your entries by telling you when. The jigsaw course is fantastic for the general idea, but Gradys courses dig into the details like nothing else out there. His perspectuves on the people and principles driving micro price action have been of incredible value to me. I've largely transitioned from my analysis being, "what is price doing" to "what are traders doing?". The DOM reveals one thing that no indicator or chart can, it shows intent.

PaleMetaphor 
Denver Colorado/United States

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 31

Heph333 View Post

and while I haven't purchased the full thousand dollar webinar, John has always been very gracious answering my e-mails and giving advice when asked.

Congratulations @Heph333, very well done. I pulled the trigger myself and picked up John's basic course towards the end of last year. This was after John sent me tons of emails in response to my endless list of questions. He was always very prompt and thorough in his responses and never once pushed me to buy any of his courses. Other than the webinar, the courses are very cheap and I think John genuinely wants to help people.

I've stuck with the treasuries as John recommends and I've been working my trades in a TST combine. I'm constantly tweaking my settings but I think I've found a general layout I like. Learning to trade off the DOM has been a difficult but extremely illuminating journey for me. Your quote about analyzing what traders are doing rather than what price is doing was spot on. I find staring at the DOM oddly calming because I feel much more connected to what's actually happening in the market. I've spent incalculable amounts of time crossing my eyes over charts and it was almost a relief to throw them away. Well, I haven't completely thrown away all my charts. I still use a few basic charts as part of my pre-market prep process as recommended by John but I don't trade off them. I'll probably pick up the intermediate course after I get some more experience under my belt.

Thanks again and best of luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

PM

Heph333 
Springfield, MO/USA

If there is one thing that anyone can do to improve their tape reading skills quickly, it's to shut off the charts. Grady says this over and over and I found it to be true.

For those of us struggling to give up the charts, I propose a comprimise. Use a single 15m chart from Tradingview.com. It is sufficient to see what recent price action looked like as well as important price levels. But since the data is delayed 10 minutes, it is completely useless to actively trade off of.

This will keep your focus on the DOMs where it belongs and away from the charts. I promise you will immediately start seeing things you've been missing.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

spideysteve 
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

Platform: NT, MT4, Jigsaw
Broker: Continuum
Trading: ZN, ES
Thanks Given: 363
Thanks Received: 170

Heph333 View Post
If there is one thing that anyone can do to improve their tape reading skills quickly, it's to shut off the charts. Grady says this over and over and I found it to be true.

For those of us struggling to give up the charts, I propose a comprimise. Use a single 15m chart from Tradingview.com. It is sufficient to see what recent price action looked like as well as important price levels. But since the data is delayed 10 minutes, it is completely useless to actively trade off of.

This will keep your focus on the DOMs where it belongs and away from the charts. I promise you will immediately start seeing things you've been missing.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Agreed 100% on turning off the charts. I use a 10m chart to do my set up (support/resistance/significant areas) and then put that info into Jigsaw. Once I've completed that, I don't look at a chart again during trading hours.

KelvinKing 
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, Continuum
Trading: FESX, FGBL
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 148

This course as well as the Futex Price Ladder course have helped me tremendously in my understanding of reading order flow as well as acquiring that elusive "feel" of the market that everyone is trying to achieve. When I get into a trade, I know with a 2 -3 tick certainty (sometimes even 1) if I'm right or wrong. To me, that is huge. It's very common for me to have 6 to 8 (!!!) losers in a row, but even then, all I need is 1 good trade to make that all back plus some. So by having the ability to know to cut a trade as early as 1 tick, and to know when to pile on for a 30 tick winner, I think that is where the true edge lies in being able to read the ladder.

As a side note, I would also like to add that this type of price action trading is very different from footprint charts. People who have spent all their time looking at footprint or delta charts probably think it's the same thing, but I can tell you from my own personal experience as someone who switched from footprint to ladder that it's really night and day. When I see all these people trade with footprint charts, they still have to use those arbitrary 8 - 12 tick stops. So to me, that tells me they still don't know what they are looking for.

Cheers!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 16, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts