NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,804 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Thanks to @josh, @Silver Dragon, @Silvester17, @Private Banker for the help in getting my new workspace setup. Gotta love a place like nexusfi.com (formerly BMT).

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

By the way Gary, when it comes rollover time here's the basic procedure, using CLK to CLM rollover as an example.

1) Be sure you are disconnected from your data provider
2) Backup your data file in your data folder, just create a copy in case anything goes wrong
3) Edit->Adjust Data
4) Add/Subtract amount: let's say CLM settles +.30 higher than CLK. You will want to put 0.30 in the box, and click OK.
5) Exit SC
6) Copy the newly adjusted data file and rename the copy to fit the CLM parameters (including month letter, number, etc)
7) Restart SC
8) Change the symbol to the new symbol name on all your charts
9) Connect to your data provider
10) To be sure you have new data if it's already past rollover, right-click on a bar where you want to refresh data (the 18:00 bar on rollover day for example), and do a "Delete and Download Data"

Seems like a lot but it's a very flexible process that is quite fast once you do it a time or two, and the nice thing is you have complete control over the data, the range to back-adjust if you like, etc. You can even modify the volume info if you like.

There is also an automatic rollover process, but I have not used it as I don't trust it and prefer to know exactly what is being adjusted and at what times, and by how much.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

Or use iqfeed and done

Sent from my Nexus 4

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

Big Mike View Post
Or use iqfeed and done

@Big Mike, this is definitely one way to go, and has the advantage that it's very hands-off, just download the data at rollover. But it has a couple of disadvantages:

1) When rollover occurs, you must re-download ALL data since it has all been back-adjusted, and therefore you overwrite all your old data, and since you can only get 120 days of tick data, you can never have more than 120 days of tick data for an IQFeed continuous contract. This is not an issue for some people, but some people like to compose volume charts (or profiles) that may span 6 months to a year, and need tick data for that period, not minute data.

2) IQFeed will control the rollover time and amount. For ES, it's fairly straightforward, but even then I like to roll a day later because the volume does not shift to the new contract until Friday, but IQFeed will roll on Wednesday evening. Also, if I want to customize the rollover (shifting one day -5.00 but another -4.75 for example) I can't do so in this situation. For a contract like CL, since there is no real rollover day defined, IQFeed may roll at a different time than some people like, as some people will prefer to stick with the old contract a day or two longer, and some may like to roll a little early.

The procedure in NT is very simple, and even for SC with all the customizations available, it does not take long (maybe 5 minutes to shift the data for my entire 4GB ES data file).

By the way, the above instructions and other methods for rolling over are outlined here at SC's web site.

mongoose 
Chicago, IL

Platform: oil super computer
Trading: multiple
Thanks Given: 817
Thanks Received: 433

GaryD View Post
Thanks to @josh, @Silver Dragon, @Silvester17, @Private Banker for the help in getting my new workspace setup. Gotta love a place like nexusfi.com (formerly BMT).

Lookin good Gary, one question, how do you shade the vwap area gray? Been messing with the settings but can't figure it out.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

mongoose View Post
Lookin good Gary, one question, how do you shade the vwap area gray? Been messing with the settings but can't figure it out.

Trans Fill Bottom / Trans Fill Top

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

SIM trading the pre-open. This is where the order colors get a little confusing. Bracketed orders also show before they trigger. Everything is there in the text though...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Looks like it will open in balance. Per Jim Dalton I have 5 trade options. I would prefer only one

Balance area rules starting with inside days:

1.Market may slightly extend the range in either direction, stays in balance. Patience is in order.

2.Market explores upside breakout and is met by aggressive sellers; prices fail to be accepted above the breakout. Fade the price probe failure—the potential target is for rotation to the opposite end of balance.

3.Market explores to the upside; higher prices receive the unexpected response and attract even more buyers. Higher prices are accepted, breakout is successful. Go with price acceptance in the direction of breakout.

4.Market explores downside breakout and is met by aggressive buyers; prices fail to be accepted below the breakout. Fade the price probe failure—the potential target is for rotation to the opposite end of balance.

5.Market explores to the downside; lower prices receive the unexpected response and attract even more sellers. Lower prices are accepted, breakout is successful. Go with price acceptance in the direction of breakout.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

CL tested Y Low, ES gap open higher

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts