NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,981 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

GaryD View Post
I still have not found out how to do a few things related to delta volume, cumulative delta, etc., but had plenty to do. They have similar indicators, but I could not get them to form a horizontal band across the screen.

I think I know the reason for this. You are using Zen-Fire through Mirus, and according to the Zen-Fire subsection here, you are only provided with 1-minute resolution data for the backfill. See below for more info.

Have you looked at Sierra's Historical Intraday Futures Data service? You may want to try that, as it will provide you with tick-level backfill (I'm guessing 30 days?) for free, and you would not need IQFeed unless you have some specific reason for needing it...? I have CTS as my primary data provider and I get good backfill so I have never had to use this service, but you should consider trying it. IQfeed is pretty cheap (~$80 a month with CME fee waivers) and very good but I cancelled my subscription several months back because I simply didn't need it any longer.

GaryD View Post
If it runs on the resource level it has maintained over the weekend, has similar ease to order management as NT, I will probably start talking to my broker about going live on it for a month. If @Big Mike is right about the CME fee waiver (know nothing about) and the pricing is the same, or even less as it seemed it might be, I may make the switch.

It will run lean just as you have experienced. I am running two copies (one using CTS broker-supplied data, the other using Sierra's free FXCM data for various indexes like dax/euro/dow/nasdaq/etc), and combined they run just over 100K, and that's with 18 charts and 3 spreadsheets open. NT started on Monday running at about 200K with 8 charts, and by Friday was up to 400K. NT's answer was to always restart every day. But I digress.

As mentioned above, I don't know why you would need IQFeed except for cases where you need an immediate backfill of the current day's data if your zen connection were to crap out (but then, why would you need data immediately if you can't trade?).

For more info on running multiple copies of SC (one for backfill with SC's service or with IQfeed or barchart) and how to set it up, see here. If you use zen and want tick-level backfill, I think this is how you will have to set it up. Again, it may seem slightly tedious at first, but it's pretty much set-and-forget. The other alternative is to consider a broker switch for different data like Rithmic or CTS (or TT, if bid/ask is not important to you), but you are probably happy with where you are so this may be a bit extreme. The other option is that you accept the 1-minute backfill data resolution, if extreme volume profile reliability is not important to you, and if delta-based studies are not important, but again, that's just an option.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

My minimal understanding of Market Profile trading had me expecting more "balance" than occured.

This may seem very amateur some day in the future, I hope it does, but I was betting on "balance" when I saw a reason to justify it.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

josh View Post
I think I know the reason for this. You are using Zen-Fire through Mirus, and according to the Zen-Fire subsection here, you are only provided with 1-minute resolution data for the backfill.

Not that I USE that currently... lol!! But, if I am still giving that view a chance. I could take a year. I have not setup ZenFire yet, using all Sierra data.

josh View Post
It will run lean just as you have experienced. I am running two copies (one using CTS broker-supplied data, the other using Sierra's free FXCM data for various indexes like dax/euro/dow/nasdaq/etc), and combined they run just over 100K, and that's with 18 charts and 3 spreadsheets open. NT started on Monday running at about 200K with 8 charts, and by Friday was up to 400K. NT's answer was to always restart every day. But I digress.

Yes, that is very noticeable so far, but without live data the real test is still ahead of me. I have been having some resource issues recently, and believe NT to be a big part of the cause. Of course, it is just as likely that is the indicators I have, but I created the exact same workspaces on both NT and SC, and that 25k(k) vs 185k(k) is what I got.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

What you want is the "Numbers Bars Calculated Values" study. Also, I have not yet tried "Numbers Bars V2" but it looks interesting, if this is a view you are looking to incorporate.

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD View Post

Not that I USE that currently... lol!! But, if I am still giving that view a chance.

This is one monitor, just trying to get a feel for what I am seeing. Then I will zoom back out later if I actually decide to use it.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

This market is "overbought", but occassionally crude oil can use that to take the most money from me.

The task here is to determine a "reason" for looking at shorting. A trendline break, or a chart pattern, or a candlestick pattern, or whatever it is we believe in.

But until that, the direction is UP. Worst part of trading.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD View Post
This is one monitor, just trying to get a feel for what I am seeing. Then I will zoom back out later if I actually decide to use it.

Orange is not strong enough right now to get my attention on the action itself. Unless I delete all other colors.

NO, changing red to black on the candle, and keeping ONE COLOR if I know what I want to see.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

REPLACE

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts