NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,804 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

And, I am trapped in my house, been bored all day and wished the market was open. Decided that was not a good place to trade from. It may have caused me to miss a decent move, but there are so many decent or even fantastic moves. The homework I have done this weekend should benefitt me in RTH, and I read that action with more confidence. I do not have to hope the emergency order desk will answer, if I needed it. I get to observe the move for next time, without being attached.

There was a lot of selling on Friday and I would guess there are shorts getting chased right now. But without the breakout above this zone, buying into high level resistance sounds very silly.

I get asked a lot about why I don't just go back to scalping. It is a constant battle is the biggest reason. A lot harder than being a good watcher. Which still falls under the definition of Trader.

I would prefer to feel confident and relaxed in my trades, and scalping does not allow me to feel that way. I kept trying to force my square peg into that round hole for a long time, all the while wishing I would just swing trade. But that did not keep me as absorbed by the current vibe, without which dulls the senses.

But the concept of value provides low risk high reward trades on a regular basis, and if I could shape myself (and I can) I would take a trade and not feel anything.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

My favorite quote so far from Jim Dalton;

“I had always marveled at the Apollo 12 moon mission, which was reported to have landed within 15 meters of its target. I thought it was accomplished by a room full of incredibly smart people who created an algorithm, fired the rocket into space, and waited until it landed on the moon. I was surprised to read that the mission was off course 80 percent of the time, which required continual course corrections. Without these on-the-fly computations, the Apollo would have been lost in space.

When working with the natural sciences, there is comfort and stability in the reproducibility of results, born of the constants inherent in scientific inquiry. There is a genuine feeling of delight when the mind stumbles across the “correct answer.” The human mind is hardwired to seek concrete answers. Moreover, our tendency is to acknowledge only those answers that support our presupposed beliefs, which can lead to tunnel vision, short-sightedness and, ultimately, plunging profits.

The difference between the natural sciences and market-generated analysis is that the elements we employ to conduct our analysis are constantly evolving; the only constant we have at our disposal is change. Of course, without change there would be no opportunity, and so we gladly welcome change. But as a result, it takes an extraordinary amount of time and dedication to become familiar with the type of analysis we’re describing in this chapter.

There is no substitute for experience in any field, of course, but because of the many complexities and subtitles inherent in trading, there is no quick way to gain that essential experience. It may appear to be misleadingly simple to move from novice to proficient, as the ideas we’re purporting in this book are not unfathomable. However, it takes an incredible amount of dedication to elevate your trading level from proficient to expert ------ and that’s what differentiates the all-stars from the herd.

….To become a truly skilled investor or trader, you must immerse yourself deeply in the market’s auction process, experiencing a variety of similar situations until you begin to understand how that process works in a real-time, present-tense perspective.”

MARKETS IN PROFILE

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

The target is not set correctly, and maybe the stop too.

COTtrader 
JACKSON, MICHIGAN
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TS and Trading View
Broker: TS
Trading: ES Awesome!
Thanks Given: 406
Thanks Received: 648

Nice chart candy, Gary! Yum, yum. It works for me, too.

Ken

GaryD View Post

The target is not set correctly, and maybe the stop too.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

1 off at .68. Great stop placement above, thought about it, but that was where I wanted it. If it hits, I was wrong.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Close 2nd stop .66, went to watch TV, saw a pullback, back in .55

Stop to .49

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

The overhead resistance trendline was drawn a little to thick to penetrate overnight, and price not only gave up the ON rally but also has retraced back below Friday's value area. Big struggle going on this morning. Very slow grinding moves with ETH Vwap solidliy down and RTH flat. I have been watching to buy, but it is still trying to figure out support, so far rejecting value. The motion is hard to show on a chart, but would be obvious in a video.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

COTtrader View Post
Nice chart candy, Gary! Yum, yum. It works for me, too.

Ken

I am still working though how I want to see it. Have about 6 versions that all do something a little differently. Today I switched the color layout based on the conditions. Sierra baby... If you can think it you can see it.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Today was almost a perfect day for me... If I had not been stopped out.

I went long after the opening drive, added on a pullback to the 1SD on the RTH chart, then had my stop swept in the C period to be net down $580.00. After which it reversed and ran higher all day. My target in the trade, before the stop, was to break Friday's HOD.

The two Vwaps were so different after last night's run up on Syrian news fears, that after I got taken out I really was not sure how to approach the day anymore, so I just took a long break and was not expecting to trade again without so great reason to.

As price approached ETH Vwap I watched, Vwap broke slightly, but then there was strong positive delta on a lower low, annd I bought in market, stop below that bar. That trade would have taken me to net positive with more than one contract, but I was not wanting to approach max down and decided to relax.

Net -17

There still is strong selling above 96.00, and CL traded like it was weak.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Without much thought;

Just came back from a local restaurant. My back seems fucked. More drugs, MRI coming, neurosurgeon mentioned. My dcotor said, "Gary, if you had a truck with a broken axle, you can't fix it by pouring more oil on it."

I occasionally get a chance to have a "real" conversation with various guys here on futures.io (formerly BMT). It's not the norm, but it is becoming more common. It feels different, I think in a better way. From my perspective it is different. I KNOW how fucked up it can get sometimes. I'll talk about it if you want.

And, not only at the same time, but taking the dominant position, comes the pleasure in being able to actually offer "good" advice. The knowing that I have something that is beneficial. More than one thing, even.

My true nemisis, I should really wiki that word, but just my guess of what it means is , me.

Doubt. Trying to protect old injuries. Survival instinct.

I have seen @Deucalion, more than once, use a reference of a wild cat in Africa, falling into the general category of predator versus prey. I caled myself "remora" once on futures.io (formerly BMT). Came out of the blue. Not exactly a porud moment, but very urcking real. So it came back again not that long ago, in this thread, but it meant something slightly different now. Almost a sarcastic, derogatory reference. Meaning I have grown tired of playing that position. And I can fight it, or join it, and I finally gave in to the latter.

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts