NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,981 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Traderwolf 
Raleigh,NC

Experience: None
Platform: Versatile and Stable
Broker: Reliable and Accurate
Trading: Money
Thanks Given: 154
Thanks Received: 1,028

GaryD View Post
And, I stopped staring at footprint. It is there, but I am more interested in the bigger charts, and only watch footprint to pinpoint an entry. The 240m defines the big picture structure, the profile is next, defining structure deeper, then the 5m, and then footprint, or vsa and then footprint. Greater and greater detail gearing up for entry.

@GaryD,

I have been following your thread with interest. I am a price action trader that has a scalping plan for CL. I have studied MP and VWAP for a couple of months with my interest being to help me identify possible Market direction, bias, and key levels before the market opens.

My intention is to be able to identify areas where I can trade with a higher probability of getting a larger Reward:Risk . Dalton calls these destination trades I believe..There are secondary reasons to look at MP which include trading less times during the day and being able to look at several markets..

Question for you that I am debating.. Did you integrate some of your previous trading processes with this or did you throw most of it out and start from a fresh slate? I am reasonably knowledgeable of price action and hate to throw that part out as I look into MP further. I have seen the situations though where they are in conflict which can lead to paralysis.

Wolf

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Traderwolf View Post

Question for you that I am debating.. Did you integrate some of your previous trading processes with this or did you throw most of it out and start from a fresh slate? I am reasonably knowledgeable of price action and hate to throw that part out as I look into MP further. I have seen the situations though where they are in conflict which can lead to paralysis.

Wolf

Both.

Trading is an ongoing accumulation of knowledge and edges. Much of what I had before there was no reason to let it go, other things I wanted to see something different today than what I used to want to see (which took time to understand in itself), and some things slowly get replaced as I learn to consolidate information or find an easier way to look at it.

Understanding price action is transferrable to other charts or indicators, you just have to get used to how price responds with the changed environment. Ultimately we want our charts to show us something; direction, intensity, structure, participation, a visual of risk versus reward.

But, at the same time, to learn something new you have to be open to it. And no indicator by itself is good or bad, the way you utilize it is good or bad. So, if there are things you are not benefitting from currently, or you are trying to correct about what you do now, allowing new layouts to be a fresh look at how something works or where to get in/out can be healthy.

That is why I am doing so many replays; I understand price action, I understand support and resistance, I am decent at reading volume... but I did not understand how it related/reacted to profile or vwap. So I am giving myself an intense starter course of "experience" by trading 10-30 different days in one evening/weekend.

If what you have now offers an advantage that is quantifiable, keep it. If through your own discovery you find something that helps you more, go for it.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

My TUT email of the day is not that elaborate, but touches on one of the most important things about a trading mindset;

"Everyone's scared, Gary. Few carry on.

Keep calm,

The Universe"

That ties into the closing comments of "Markets In Profile"

"It’s a simple thing to say, “Clear your mind.” It’s quite another to put into practice. Giving up an idea that you have clung to for a long time can be extremely painful, and it is labor intensive to replace it with another—especially one that lacks clear, easily parsed directives. You have to be secure in yourself to let go of the status quo; secure people have confidence that they will assimilate new information and processes and get back on an even keel.

The key to unraveling the flux of market-generated information, as understood from the context of your own evolving emotional and cognitive makeup, is to accept the fact that all decisions are made under some degree of uncertainty. That is the fundamental nature of humanity.

Nothing is certain. The agile mind, however, when properly trained and prepared, can discern in the elegant array of evolving market-generated information occasional patterns—like oases of opportunity—that enable the execution of trades that offer greater reward with diminished risk. That beats average any day."

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Traderwolf View Post
I have seen the situations though where they are in conflict which can lead to paralysis.

Wolf

Analysis Paralysis is simply when we don't understand everything as we should, and so our confidence is lower than required to trade with authority. In those situations, sitting out can be the best thing until we advance to being able to make decisions without hesitation. There is no rush to make a trade.

When I see two sources of information in conflict today, I just wait. I use that time of being flat (aka having no desired outcome), but still an attentive witness, to sort out what the conflict was and gain a deeper level of understanding for the next time.

As we learn more and more about trading, there are so many times where one thing will contradict another, and the goal is to get to where it is no longer thought of that way, but seen as one complete picture. Developing a holistic approach to trading requires that you eventually allow all of the information to be present, be familiar enough with it all that is becomes a multidimensional interpretation that occurs in real time, in which state there is no "conflict", only yes or no.

That is possibly what makes trading so difficult, that there are no black and white answers. There is only interpretation. And we derive that through our own views and experience.

In a world where uncertainty rules, gaining that level of understanding takes time, and a lot of mistakes are made along the way that continue to put pressure on our confidence. Tear down, build back up, tear down, build back up... that cycle can feel like it never ends.

But that is how strength is built.

Traderwolf 
Raleigh,NC

Platform: Versatile and Stable
Broker: Reliable and Accurate
Trading: Money
Thanks Given: 154
Thanks Received: 1,028

GaryD View Post
When I see two sources of information in conflict today, I just wait. I use that time of being flat (aka having no desired outcome), but still an attentive witness, to sort out what the conflict was and gain a deeper level of understanding for the next time.

Well said Gary.

Wolf

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Both sides of direction have a corrective vibe to them, so I have deleted the drawings and started over with some key lines with no fibs for today. Friday is an unusual day to do that, but it is becoming a mess.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

rollover issues...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I am staying on June

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Good morning crude oil. What is the freak out about?

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts