NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 226,903 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

I considered buying into K period, but don't like to positioning of CL with ES.

Done, positive 81, and would be better if my computer were working right. I had started to wonder if reducing the resources required for the trading platform would fix the issue, and may be ready to find out by next week. I got the data to load finally in SC, and am going to try out the order system after 2:30pm on ES simluated.

AND, today is the first I have traded mimicking @Private Banker's charts and it kind of freaks me out a little...

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I really like this one for some reason.

greenr 
london/england

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra charts, NinjaTrader, VK Trader
Broker: CQG, AMP, VK, Kinetick
Trading: CL/6E/TF/ES
Thanks Given: 562
Thanks Received: 1,280

GaryD View Post

Done, positive 81, and would be better if my computer were working right. I had started to wonder if reducing the resources required for the trading platform would fix the issue, and may be ready to find out by next week. I got the data to load finally in SC, and am going to try out the order system after 2:30pm on ES simluated.

AND, today is the first I have traded mimicking @Private Banker's charts and it kind of freaks me out a little...

Here is my trade of the day and the stats to go with it

Im not executing though ninja any more

White snazzy charts and colour scheme felt good today

Thanks

@Private Banker

" I will follow my rules, I will take my stops, I will be disciplined and i will work with the market....NOT AGAINST IT! Professional mind control is the key"
Thanked by:

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, X_Trader Pro, OptionsCity
Broker: Advantage, Trading Technologies, OptionsCity, IQ Feed
Trading: CL, NG
Thanks Given: 1,713
Thanks Received: 3,863

GaryD View Post

Looks good! Only thing you may want to adjust is your initial balance doesn't appear to be set up correctly. For ES, it should be from 9:30AM - 10:30AM (A and B period).

Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

GaryD View Post

Private Banker View Post
Looks good! Only thing you may want to adjust is your initial balance doesn't appear to be set up correctly. For ES, it should be from 9:30AM - 10:30AM (A and B period).

@GaryD,

it looks like you're using just the eth session template and not a custom template (which is fine).

but if you want to display the initial balance from 9:30 - 10:30 with that session template, you'll have to adjust the period offset.

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Private Banker View Post

Silvester17 View Post
@GaryD,

it looks like you're using just the eth session template and not a custom template (which is fine).

but if you want to display the initial balance from 9:30 - 10:30 with that session template, you'll have to adjust the period offset.

I am not trading ES, just watching it on a single chart, and today I threw the chart template that I made recently for CL onto it without making any adjustments, so the IB was from 9-9:30am. But thanks for looking out for me there.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Corrected to RTH ES

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

greenr View Post

Im not executing though ninja any more

@Private Banker

Be careful until you have tried it for awhile. I got nearly everything to look the same after playing with it for 3 days, but today when I tried execution in sim, whole different story. I undertstand it, but did not realize how much there is to "customize" just to get it to function similar to NT.

Here are some examples;

The default chart trade setting has buy orders as green, sell orders as red. I would have thought that was what I wanted. But entered a long trade and the brackets on boths sides of it were the same color, green (BUY limit + BUY stop). Then, my entry price was also green, but would turn red if it went negative. It may sound trivial, but it is enough to cause visual discomfort of not being completely sure of everything. And, while it allows me to change the colors, I still have to choose a single color for BUY stops (as far as I can tell), so I can have STOPS be red, but if I wnat to enter on one have to be prepared for that visual.

The default sound is the same for ORDER PENDING, ORDER FILLED, ORDER CANCELLED, STOP FILLED, etc. The fact that the visuals show the trade has occured, or changed, or whatever, helps, but not knowing for sure does not feel good, even in sim. I was able to copy the sound files from NT into SC, but it is not possible to get every single action to sound the same in every situation, as SC wants to assign a single sound to certain actions. I can't recall which right now, but you will see.

When I changed from simulated to live, not to take a trade, but just to see if I knew how, my account number came up in the chart trade window. That part was easy enough. But then I could not figure out how to confirm my account balance, and discovered that the only way I could find was to add a "Chart Study" that just put a number on the chart. It was the correct amount, but did not even have a title associated with it. I am so used to NT showing daily info as default.

The P&L display was shown in points by default, and I have not tried to get it to currency yet.

You have to select a box to click/release/click to modify an order if you ant it to be the same as NT. Otherwise i makes you drag the order modification. And I have not yet learned how to turn off confirmation for every order entry or chnage, except that when I click the "X" on the order line it is immediate.

"CANCEL ALL" does not flatten you. "FLATTEN" does. The former only leaves your position with no stop loss or targets.

While none of that spells deal breaker, it was the most uncomfortable part of the change so far. I am sure you know that any little thing that causes additional stress, or questioning, or confusion, or doubt, is not a good thing when in a live trade. I will keep messing with it this week, but not ready to trade live even though I have the capability.

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio
Legendary Master Data Manipulator

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TastyWorks / NT
Broker: TastyWorks /NT
Trading: FX, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 6,422
Thanks Received: 5,238

GaryD View Post
Be careful until you have tried it for awhile. I got nearly everything to look the same after playing with it for 3 days, but today when I tried execution in sim, whole different story. I undertstand it, but did not realize how much there is to "customize" just to get it to function similar to NT.

Here are some examples;

The default chart trade setting has buy orders as green, sell orders as red. I would have thought that was what I wanted. But entered a long trade and the brackets on boths sides of it were the same color, green (BUY limit + BUY stop). Then, my entry price was also green, but would turn red if it went negative. It may sound trivial, but it is enough to cause visual discomfort of not being completely sure of everything. And, while it allows me to change the colors, I still have to choose a single color for BUY stops (as far as I can tell), so I can have STOPS be red, but if I wnat to enter on one have to be prepared for that visual.

The default sound is the same for ORDER PENDING, ORDER FILLED, ORDER CANCELLED, STOP FILLED, etc. The fact that the visuals show the trade has occured, or changed, or whatever, helps, but not knowing for sure does not feel good, even in sim. I was able to copy the sound files from NT into SC, but it is not possible to get every single action to sound the same in every situation, as SC wants to assign a single sound to certain actions. I can't recall which right now, but you will see.

When I changed from simulated to live, not to take a trade, but just to see if I knew how, my account number came up in the chart trade window. That part was easy enough. But then I could not figure out how to confirm my account balance, and discovered that the only way I could find was to add a "Chart Study" that just put a number on the chart. It was the correct amount, but did not even have a title associated with it. I am so used to NT showing daily info as default.

The P&L display was shown in points by default, and I have not tried to get it to currency yet.

You have to select a box to click/release/click to modify an order if you ant it to be the same as NT. Otherwise i makes you drag the order modification. And I have not yet learned how to turn off confirmation for every order entry or chnage, except that when I click the "X" on the order line it is immediate.

"CANCEL ALL" does not flatten you. "FLATTEN" does. The former only leaves your position with no stop loss or targets.

While none of that spells deal breaker, it was the most uncomfortable part of the change so far. I am sure you know that any little thing that causes additional stress, or questioning, or confusion, or doubt, is not a good thing when in a live trade. I will keep messing with it this week, but not ready to trade live even though I have the capability.

Let me save you some time. It took me a day to figure out how to turn off the confirmation.

To turn off the confirmation button click on the M on the chart trader. You also have to use this to save trade configurations. This would be the same as a ATM in NT. See screenshot.

To change points to profit go to the menu Chart --> Chart Settings then click on the advanced tab. See screenshot.

I was a little freaked out about the colors as well for the trades however, after a week of using it it actually makes more sense. I think you can customize these to whatever color you want.

Robert

nosce te ipsum

You make your own opportunities in life.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,772
Thanks Received: 18,189

GaryD View Post

This also bothered me at first, coming from the NT world. Here is essentially the difference:

In NT, orders can be colored differently depending on whether they are entry orders, or exit orders.
In SC, each type of basic order (buy stop, sell stop, buy limit, sell limit) can be colored only one color, regardless of whether they are entry or exit orders; however, the position line can be colored different based on long/short, or based on profit/loss. Personally, I have a single line color whether I'm long or short.

It bothered me at first and it bothered me a lot. Then I got used to it, and I appreciated that a sell order is always red, and a buy order is always green. So if I'm short, I'll have a buy above my entry, and a buy below. Associating "red" with "loss" is fine, but also associating "red" with "sell" is very logical too.

GaryD View Post
But then I could not figure out how to confirm my account balance, and discovered that the only way I could find was to add a "Chart Study" that just put a number on the chart. It was the correct amount, but did not even have a title associated with it. I am so used to NT showing daily info as default.

It is displayed on the Trade->Trade Orders and Positions window. Be glad you have a broker that even shows the account balance, TT users for example, do not have access to this information on any platform

By the way, when you become a SC Spreadsheet guru (which I am not lol, but tomgilb is and has helped me), you can put cool things like this in your chart region data line, and have it automatically flatten you when conditions are met, etc:

GaryD View Post
You have to select a box to click/release/click to modify an order
And I have not yet learned how to turn off confirmation for every order entry or chnage, except that when I click the "X" on the order line it is immediate.

I think Silver Dragon helped you with these already, and all are customizable.

GaryD View Post

This makes sense though, yes? Cancel cancels all working orders. Flatten closes all open positions, and cancels all working orders. If you had some positions on but wanted to redo your "ATM" strategy, you wouldn't want to have to cancel every order one-by-one; you'd want to be able to cancel them all, then put your new orders in. I do this a lot when I scale in, and want to redo my targets and stops, which NT does not allow you to do (assign an ATM strategy to an already-open order).

GaryD View Post

I agree 100% Gary. For me I spent a LOT of time in sim mode figuring out how to do what I wanted. SC's attached orders and overall trading system does much more than NT but it's also a bit more complex, so it's a bit of a tradeoff. But like everything else in this case, it's just a matter of familiarity. No need to rush it.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts