NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,804 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

My wife just woke me up. It has nothing to do wiht this, but another smilie that would be funny after something @greenr said recently, is someone getting into a pickle.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 422

Interesting video, but one thing they didn't mention that I thought they would, was the huge volume at the low of the bar (the 2nd example near the end). One of the things that confuses me about the use of this is to interpret what the volume means. Does high volume on the bid side mean aggressive sellers or a big limit buy order? Does high volume on the ask side mean aggressive buyers or a big limit sell order?

I'm still studying it, but my simplistic interpretation is if price is moving up and you see big volume coming in on a bar at a key level (doesn't matter which side the volume is on), and price doesn't continue to move in that direction, that means sellers are absorbing the orders and look for a reversal. Similarly on the down side move.

Not sure if that's the correct way to look at it. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD View Post
And, I have to post a second down week in a row. Tomorrow.

Really can't say why yet.

Attached Thumbnails
Like a turtle to his balcony...-weekly-performance-summary.pdf  

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Private Banker View Post
Not sure if this was intentional but this reminded me of a Trading Places scene, lol!

What a weird coincidence, that movie was on when I woke up and turned the TV back on late last night. It made me think.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Tiger45 View Post
Interesting video, but one thing they didn't mention that I thought they would, was the huge volume at the low of the bar (the 2nd example near the end). One of the things that confuses me about the use of this is to interpret what the volume means. Does high volume on the bid side mean aggressive sellers or a big limit buy order? Does high volume on the ask side mean aggressive buyers or a big limit sell order?

I'm still studying it, but my simplistic interpretation is if price is moving up and you see big volume coming in on a bar at a key level (doesn't matter which side the volume is on), and price doesn't continue to move in that direction, that means sellers are absorbing the orders and look for a reversal. Similarly on the down side move.

Not sure if that's the correct way to look at it. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

I have not gotten it yet, but have some idea what I would be looking for, I think.

I watch a 1 minute volume bar, and I look for high volume + low movement to spot potential turning points. I used to only see it after the bar closed, but now occasionally see it as the bar is forming, something about the motion.

What I am assuming I am looking for is either a) a lot of volume hitting one side but cannot move the market in that direction (iceberg), or b) heavy volume hitting the opposite side as an opportunity. I think it is reading the tape live that shows the most, but so far have not been able to interpret anything of value there. I am hoping reducing the colors, maybe even removing all color/max volume coloring, and just watching order flow without trading for awhile might help it to sink in.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD View Post

Really can't say why yet.

Yes I can.

I have put my focus on trying to hit reversals, expecting those areas to provide larger moves. It coincides with a desire to do less scalping and more position trading.

I see in past trades where I did enter right at a key reversal, exitted profitably, and then watched the trade run in my favor for 2x-5x what I made. That causes me to want to relive that moment, but each moment is unique, and having my head in the past reduces my awareness and increases my hopium dose. "Hidden Revenge Trading"

I am not as quick to decide I am wrong in a trade because I feel it needs more room to breathe if that is what I am going for.

That type of trading is not something I have done a lot of.

I start to see larger future profits and it clouds my immediate vision.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

One thing that is immediately apparent in the test of Sierra Charts is it is requiring far less computer resources to have the exact same information open. SC is at 25,908k, where NT was at 184,000k+/- for the same charts.

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio
Legendary Master Data Manipulator

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TastyWorks / NT
Broker: TastyWorks /NT
Trading: FX, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 6,422
Thanks Received: 5,238

GaryD View Post

I see in past trades where I did enter right at a key reversal, exitted profitably, and then watched the trade run in my favor for 2x-5x what I made.

So how do you find a happy middle ground? I have struggled with coming up with suitable exit strategy for some trades. Some are obvious, such as a trend line being 30 ticks above the entry but others which are not so clear are difficult to determine. Ironically these are the trades which tend to run..... hmmm... Maybe I have answered my own question... Trades which do not have a clear target should have a wider target with a trailing stop??

Robert

nosce te ipsum

You make your own opportunities in life.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD View Post

It's going to be a long weekend

Reminiscent of green eggs and ham, with a collection of futures.io (formerly BMT) friends playing the role of Sam I Am...

Sierra really was no where near as complicated as I thought. The first couple hours were frustrating, but the help section is very good, and once I figured out a few things the rest got a lot easier. After having played with Sierra a few hours each day for three days in a row, it is not seeming to be lacking anything. It is full of options, editable beyond Ninja Trader in several areas.

Having tested FinAlgo's TPO chart for NT, I can't find a reason not to like Sierra's.

I still have not found out how to do a few things related to delta volume, cumulative delta, etc., but had plenty to do. They have similar indicators, but I could not get them to form a horizontal band across the screen.

Step two is tomorrow when I will find out how it trades in sim, after CL pit close. It may take all week to go through all the different trade possibilities. If it runs on the resource level it has maintained over the weekend, has similar ease to order management as NT, I will probably start talking to my broker about going live on it for a month. If @Big Mike is right about the CME fee waiver (know nothing about) and the pricing is the same, or even less as it seemed it might be, I may make the switch.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I think I just found another reason I had such a poor week. Oil has been in a very aggressive up move, and my losses were on the short side. Easy to see after the fact...

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts