NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,804 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

"Home again home again like a turtle to his balcony
and you know where that's at."

First Published
"A Taste of the Taste of Brautigan." California Living 16 May 1971: 7-10.
The magazine of the San Francisco Sunday Examiner & Chronicle.

Introduction reads:
"Richard Brautigan, an Aquarian born in Tacoma, Washington, January 30, 1935, has grown from an unknown poet of the Haight Ashbury during the days of the Flower Children, to one of the country's leading writers—in less than ten years. Among his works, widely read and discussed on college campuses—as well as in the general mainstream— are (novels) Trout Fishing in America, A Confederate General from Big Sur and (poetry) The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster and Rommel Drives on Deep into Egypt. "

I read that when I was in college, Marshall University 198something... I just laughed. The guy was obviously a pure nutcase, but those were some of the words that cracked me and my friends up. The book of Brautigan's poems worked it's way through many hands over a series of days or weeks or months. "Fuck me like fried potatoes..." was another memorable one. Have not thought of Richard Brautigan since... those were different times.

But tonight as I have been packing a moving truck, 15th move for me an my wife since we have been together, having left behind a long thread about many things, and finding the desire to have another expressive outlet with it's own pulse, and coinciding with my resuming trading after a well-needed sabatical...

Not wanting to call this anything that sounds like trading, but wanting a place to collect my trading thoughts again, like a turtle to his balcony. A place to be, maybe, or really nowhere?

My approach to trading has shifted, my time for it has been greatly reduced, my network of frinds outside of trading expanded immensely, health in line, money flowing, life is good.

Traded crude briefly in sim today, just feeling it. Nailed me the majority of entries, maybe 6? It was the first time I clicked the mouse for awhile.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Traded in the background today, enter a position, set the target and stop, and then minimize the screen. 2 entries, both long, one was a 20 tick target (20/8), made it to 18 ticks, then hit my -4 tightened stop, and 2nd trade made it to 16, and then I closed it within a breath of 2:30pm EST for 15, to net 11 ticks on the day.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

CL remains in strong bull mode on the higher timeframe...

but today's background trade was a short.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Trading as a means of survival is far different than trading with no attachment to the outcome. The former teaches things that might never been learned otherwise, but the latter allows for the proper execution of those skills. In various visualization methods, the concept is to focus on on what is desired, but trading has a way of reversing the rules.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Trade #1. Waited for the dust to settle from this morning's washout.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

The entry was beautiful so far, this is the place where I start to question moving my stop and target. If I tighten my stop, I risk less. If I bring my target in, I guarantee a win...

Had roughly 20 ticks, which is about where price will stop in my favor if it will lose...

Really, a safer stop is below the LSP at around 96.80...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

The "background" trade worked today. I am not allowed to rethink my trade in that mode. It is weird how if I watch I continue to make judgements that can conflcit with my reason for taking the trade.

One trade today, net 38

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

CL has been in a strong uptrend, with the medium trendline shown as the upward sloping line below price. The morning's open brought a high volume washout below yesterday's prior pivot, but then quickly returned to break above the overnight high, signaling strong support for price remains.

The buy area became a ratio of the upmove, not measured beforehand, but turned out to be roughly 50%. The real signal was the high volume in that area, and the sole trigger for the entry.

I set the stop at an arbitrary number related to price action, but going off my recent minor stop penetrations. 25 was todays tick distance, not great for a 38 tick profit target, but going more for probability than PF. The target could have been higher, but it was the most likely event, just breaking above the most recent minor high pivot. Price did stall at the target, and the 1min volume shows the increase in activity in that area coincides with the target justification.

A 20S/40T would have been perfect for the way hindsight shows this trade, but math was not top priority. What I thought was most likely was more important to me, particularly when setting a "hands off" rule after the entry. What my trading lacks is not math, or analysis, or anything like that. It is confidence after the entry. I find that more often than not, my initial thought is correct. Not due to lucky guesses, but having spent thousands of hours trying to sense every breath of price action, some of that eventually sinks in. It is the not-knowing part, coupled with my own insecurities, that causes me to get a little scattered sometimes in trading.

The indicators I have today mean very little, other than to get a feel for what is happening at a quick glance. There are no trade rules today, I am done wiht them. Price action, structure, volume, and experience, and when I see something that seems right to me, and I can accept that once I am in and the exit points are established, I am done with it. Nearly impossible for me to do while watching it, so I minimize the charts and go on with the day.

Uncertainty is not comfortable to me. I am so wired to be super-analytical, was so driven to learn to trade that I obsessed way beyond sanity...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Week 1

Attached Thumbnails
Like a turtle to his balcony...-document.pdf  

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts