NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,981 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

CL is fighting to hold the 92 low.

A lot of whipsaw consolidation.

A moment of clarity; while that is what I used to despise about crude oil, I am not surprised, frustrated, upset, confused, thinking crude is schizo, etc. Today, it just is. Volatiltiy is opportunity, and crude is much slower to me today than years ago. And more predictable.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

What IS frustrating to me, is trying to get anything of value out of the volume ladder. But today, for the first time ever, but only for a few minutes, I saw something there. That is mildly encouraging.

Wait, why are the bars not aligned with the ladder? There are several things over the last few days telling me something is majorly wrong with my computer. This could be an indicator bug, and if this was the only issue...

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

GaryD View Post
GDP
8:30 AM ET

Jobless Claims
8:30 AM ET

Chicago PMI
9:45 AM ET

Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index
9:45 AM ET

EIA Natural Gas Report
10:30 AM ET

Kansas City Fed Manufacturing Index
11:00 AM ET

Since you are now putting these news items on your radar, a little info:

GDP should be a particularly interesting number tomorrow, with the Advance # last time being negative and throwing everyone for a loop. Anything in the negative to 0.1 or 0.2% range would be IMO a shocker (to the downside), as everyone thinks the -0.1% was very much a lowball figure. Anything 0.3% or above is expected, at least from my point of view.

Just for your own notes, if you are not aware, Chicago PMI is released 3 minutes early to subscribers at 9:42am, and often we get a reaction then if there is a surprise (not so much at 9:45 with the embargo release as market already has the number at this point).

Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index -- never heard of it, and nobody cares about this number. Slight ditto for Kansas City Fed number, though if it's a big surprise it may get a little attention. As far as the manufacturing numbers go, Dallas Fed and Empire State can garner some attention, but Richmond and Kansas City manufacturing numbers are pretty much non-events. The Philly Fed number and ISM PMI are the biggest manufacturing numbers to watch out for.

Thanked by:
 greenr 
london/england

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra charts, NinjaTrader, VK Trader
Broker: CQG, AMP, VK, Kinetick
Trading: CL/6E/TF/ES
Thanks Given: 562
Thanks Received: 1,280

GaryD View Post

What IS frustrating to me, is trying to get anything of value out of the volume ladder. But today, for the first time ever, but only for a few minutes, I saw something there. That is mildly encouraging.

Wait, why are the bars not aligned with the ladder? There are several things over the last few days telling me something is majorly wrong with my computer. This could be an indicator bug, and if this was the only issue...

Re load and down load data

I get this every day

This is why I hate ninja trader

It never works like it should, I spend half my morning making sure every thing is correct

Grrrrrr

" I will follow my rules, I will take my stops, I will be disciplined and i will work with the market....NOT AGAINST IT! Professional mind control is the key"
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

josh View Post
Since you are now putting these news items on your radar, a little info:

GDP should be a particularly interesting number tomorrow, with the Advance # last time being negative and throwing everyone for a loop. Anything in the negative to 0.1 or 0.2% range would be IMO a shocker (to the downside), as everyone thinks the -0.1% was very much a lowball figure. Anything 0.3% or above is expected, at least from my point of view.

Just for your own notes, if you are not aware, Chicago PMI is released 3 minutes early to subscribers at 9:42am, and often we get a reaction then if there is a surprise (not so much at 9:45 with the embargo release as market already has the number at this point).

Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index -- never heard of it, and nobody cares about this number. Slight ditto for Kansas City Fed number, though if it's a big surprise it may get a little attention. As far as the manufacturing numbers go, Dallas Fed and Empire State can garner some attention, but Richmond and Kansas City manufacturing numbers are pretty much non-events. The Philly Fed number and ISM PMI are the biggest manufacturing numbers to watch out for.

Thanks Josh.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

1:37AM, Friday, Never went to bed, talking with my wife, tv on, charts running in the corner of the room. Background color is white now, not black, and it casts this glow that is hard to walk by without looking.

Minor DPTL below possible washout caught within 10 ticks, on a background of new-equity-high rance correlative divergence, into the CL pit close reversal failure, blew out LOD prior significant support, 1pm volume head fake. Daily VWAP has been responding very well. IB on CL changed. Trading feeling good, calm, clear, fun.

% wins looking like 70%+ this week, great RR, great PF, cannot find a complaint in the performance report so far, maybe that I still often bail too early, but what I am also seeing is there are equal number of times that early profit taking works for me, but it is beyond backtesting because there is to much to have to program, and of equal importance, personal mindset.

Enjoying CL analysis thread, still feeling awkward about it though.

If that mDPTL becomes the brick wall... trading never lets you put your guard down.

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

GaryD View Post
... it casts this glow that is hard to walk by without looking.

If that mDPTL becomes the brick wall... trading never lets you put your guard down.

This something I have thought about:

I want to be a trader but I don;t want trading to be a cat and mouse game.

It should be more like a Pop n Mom store monopoly where you dictate the terms and customers (trades) keep flocking to you even if you have irregular timings and curt checkout girls. :-)

However that entails longer timeframes and bigger stops.

Being a rich trader should mean lots of time on hands - not simply having a pile of cash which you watch fluctuate tick by tick.

Does that make sense?

I often seek your guidance in my replies and this is one of those posts.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Very solid week. My performance numbers were much better, my level of calm and clarity very high, found myself laughing many times. I am still not holding for my targets like I think I should, but my targets also fail, and I am holding longer when the timing seems right, so nothing much to complain about this week. Good risk management, good timing, patience was not even a consideration, it just existed.

Attached Thumbnails
Like a turtle to his balcony...-week-2-25-thru-3-1-13.pdf   Like a turtle to his balcony...-daily.pdf   Like a turtle to his balcony...-trades.pdf  

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

iqgod View Post
This something I have thought about:

I want to be a trader but I don;t want trading to be a cat and mouse game.

It should be more like a Pop n Mom store monopoly where you dictate the terms and customers (trades) keep flocking to you even if you have irregular timings and curt checkout girls. :-)

However that entails longer timeframes and bigger stops.

Being a rich trader should mean lots of time on hands - not simply having a pile of cash which you watch fluctuate tick by tick.

Does that make sense?

I often seek your guidance in my replies and this is one of those posts.

You know I have gone through issues with uncertainty, risk vs reward, value of time spent, importance of money, long swings versus scalps, having a job versus trading, all things you are questioning now. I have formed opinions about some of those things, then changed them, then maybe later changed them back or different again.

You also know that I gave up trading for awhile, could not take the pressure of trying to maintain running a business and studying / trading 24/7. And in that time I did not care if I ever took another trade. And that was not the first time I did not care if I traded again.

What I can say is different for me today is that I gave up trying to make complete sense of it, gave up trying to perfect it, gave up trying to knoww what is about to happen, gave up looking at my account balance, gave up thinking how much I could make if I did this or that.

What if you never did make any real money trading? Would you enjoy it then? Can you laugh at yourself, I mean genuine spontaneous laughter, when your stop gets hit?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. You need to figure out where you belong in the mix, or if you even do. I know that I have gone back and forth on that decision, but am seeing today that the swing back and forth has to do with things that have no place in trading. Think on that.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

For later review

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts