NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 227,157 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Traderwolf 
Raleigh,NC

Experience: None
Platform: Versatile and Stable
Broker: Reliable and Accurate
Trading: Money
Thanks Given: 154
Thanks Received: 1,028

GaryD View Post

I got out at breakeven, not about to hold through the electronic close for anything, and then went out to run some errands. Now it hits my target...

Just took out the major high

Is this related to the oil inventory numbers? It appears as if they were released out of schedule. First time I have seen this.. That is really screwed up if that is the case...

API reports over 9 mln-barrel fall in crude supply - MarketWatch

Forex Calendar @ Forex Factory

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Traderwolf View Post
Is this related to the oil inventory numbers? It appears as if they were released out of schedule. First time I have seen this.. That is really screwed up if that is the case...

API reports over 9 mln-barrel fall in crude supply - MarketWatch

Forex Calendar @ Forex Factory

No, it is all eyes on Egypt.

Don't think of this as just any oil producing country, Egypt owns the Suez Canal. It is one of the most important shipping lanes in the world for oil. If ships have to go around it, it can add weeks in shipping time, which adds expense.

And, the canal charges a toll, which is a huge income source for Egypt, and there is potential for it to become a target/prize if there is war. Civil war is what I am referring to.

https://www.eia.gov/countries/regions-topics.cfm?fips=wotc&trk=p3

Started this thread Reply With Quote

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I bought in "A" period, despite the open auction, thought it tested lower and then was headed higher. I was trading as much on what I knew of the news as anything else, plus the gap higher, but then got stopped out for about 30-40 ticks all in.

So I decided to watch instead of get caught up in the news, and could see huge volume selling into it, but there was no way in hell I was going to short today. And did not feel like trading confused. That is why I just watched. Finally bought again at the close, and then got out ahead of the 45 minutes of anything goes. So I am actually down a few hundred, despite being correct on direction.

Not concerned about that really, this is a very unusual event, and I have not seen this type of market many times before. If ever. There was Libya, I remember that failry well. There was the Egyptian elections. I can;t reember much else like this.

A lot of volume was taking place today, more than I am used to, and I do not have much experience trading through things like this.

If this blows over, which it may, the risk premium will become a smart move in hindsight but no longer valid. If it goes wrong, black swanish, there is no ceiling for the "future".

My long into the pit close was a great trade, and I actually considered adding in after I was in it and it came back some, but thought to myself that is just gambling. The market can open anywhere compared to the close, volume was gone, and I had things to get done before my wife got home.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

"The army has given a deadline of about 16:30 local time (14:30 GMT) on Wednesday for the crisis to be dealt with."

Current Cairo time is 13:16 = 07:16EST

Equity Products

Wednesday, July 3rd
12:15pm Close
5:00pm Open

Thursday, July 4th
10:30am Trading Halt
5:00pm Trading Resumes

Friday, July 5th
Regular Day

NYMEX & COMEX Products

Wednesday, July 3rd
Regular Day

Thursday, July 4th
12:15pm Trading Halt
5:00pm Trading Resumes

Friday, July 5th
Regular Day

Volume could be very light today causing whippy moves. I have been treaing this Egypt event similar to FOMC. 90% watching, 10% considering trading.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Vwap flattening out ahead of the Egypt announcement. Price ran up overnight to break 102, and is balancing between there and about 100.80.

Bought 2 contracts at the push down around the pit open, closed one +12, other +29 as price consolidates around the upper IB. Price is very whippy and moves are tight so far.

If things go smoothly, this premium will unwind, but it may not occur today as many traders will make their moves and be gone early. But it seems like a difficult thing to conceptualize by watching the news. They have an elected president, by popular vote, and he is being ousted by the people, so there will most likely be an angry side either way, and they people have been in the streets numbering 20 million by what I have read. That is huge. Emotions are high, adrenaline is high there.

Even if it does not go smoothly, there is a decent premium already applied to crude, and so far there is nothing known that would impact the canal.

This is not a "normal" market today, so understandingcould be compromised. There is no better edge in trading than experience, and this type of event is hard to gain experience in.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Huge two-sided trade took place in that bar. More volume than the highest pit close bar yesterday. While delta shows the sellers were dominant, price went nowhere as those orders were absorbed by passive buyers.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

The EIA burst was short-lived, and price swings back to await Egypt.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Overhead stop run, back to balance.

The trade today has been to fade the extremes as this broadening shape forms, but the volume into those trades is too intense, and they are only good trades in hindsight.

Still flat sitting +41

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

This chart of the RTH session shows better how tricky today has been so far.

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts