NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 226,811 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,207
Thanks Received: 101,599

Big Mike View Post
You can email them or start a thread on their forum, but you'll have to explain vvScreenshot as they won't get it, and will think they already have similar function with their upload chart feature. It's close but not quite.

Mike

BTW, here is a thread where @ktrader provided a tool to mimic the vvscreenshot utility, but I never could get it to work reliably unfortunately.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Big Mike View Post
BTW, here is a thread where @ktrader provided a tool to mimic the vvscreenshot utility, but I never could get it to work reliably unfortunately.

Mike

Yeah, I just read that one. Thanks.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

After spending several weeks getting nothing from the footprint/numbers bars chart, for the past two days I have finally been getting it. I set the chart right beside my 1mVSA chart, and zoomed in to where all of the numbers were large enough to read as they occured, and just kept at it day after day.

One thing that really helped was using the Number Bars V2 in Sierra and setting it up in a way that made sense to me. The options are incredibly plentiful, and I have tried them all by now, but what works for me are the following settings.

This chart type always seemed like information overload to me, but I knew I liked the VSA chart and that a footprint chart is similar but with greater detail of information. What I like about this is that if Bid/Ask is basically equal I do not want my eyes drawn to it. The greater the difference between the two, the more it highlights. Since I had such a hard time with it I thought I would share what finally clicked for me.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

This view shows the scale of the footprint. It is relatively HUGE, but so was the VSA chart a few years ago. It will probably get smaller.

I am only using 2 monitors and a laptop, and have not missed the other two screens at all. I had considered selling them on Ebay, but for now they just sit in the floor behind my desk.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I am a workoholic in a way. Not the same as I was at age 30, but driven by the same genetic makeup. When I do something it becomes me.

And so I find myself opening this journal many times when I have nothing to say, as I did this time but decided to go with it.

It is because my charts are running 24 hours a day Sunday night through Friday afternoon, I do not watch television (unless my wife is watching and it becomes "time together"). I have not fished seriously in at least 6 years.

I spent so many hours in front of charts, not really enjoying it but "needing" to, that it has become, a place to be, a goal to have, something I enjoy. I often try with little success to get my wife to go in on the theory that it is similiar to her yoga. Balance. I think that is why I took to the theory of value so hard recently. It hit home with where I want to be in my life, in my mind.

And so it made sense immediately. While I am still watching it be better than I thought it would be, I smile every time I am wrong.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

If this was my wife posting it would start with OMG!

I hated footprint charts / numbers bars. Now it is the best new addition this year next to TPO charts.

AND, Sierra Charts. I cannot find a complaint.

And I think it is worth getting past being a little more difficult than Ninja Trader to get started with, because that also gives complete freedom with configuration. If you have traded for years and know what you want, you have not experienced what you want until you have tried Sierra. If you don't know, Ninja is a lot easier and I am not sure Sierra is worth the struggle. There are enough struggles without that one.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Many traders start with a lot of confidence and no experience. "I can do this!"

And by the time the experience that should inspire confidence comes, they have had it beaten out of them.

I have not seen it but someone quoted @Big Mike as saying something about how hard it is to re-wire yourself after scalping. Scalping is a survival mechanism. It comes from the beatings. LOL!

In a post this evening about how to not take profits early, I saw myself.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

"I used to live in a room full of mirrors
All I could see was me
Well I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors
Now the whole world is here for me to see"

- JIMI HENDRIX

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Crude has taken a well-earned rest after the past 48 hours at the minimum W4 zone. I added GC to my screens because temporarily it is relevant. I have my charts feeling great. My awareness is running strong. My confidence is still idling. But I do know that I am feeling CL again and loving it.

I tried to scale up fast last year. It was roughly the same reason I started trading to begin with. Panic in slow-motion. That whole experience almost knocked me out.

But it didn't, and I came back willingly, and wiser.

My average trade size is less than 2 contracts this year. I never would have know that until Sierra, but I can promise it was more than that last year.

It is not about the # of contracts. It is about the confidence and control. And control is easier to maintain at $20 a second than $200.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Rollover is Thursday. There is an option to rollover automatically. That almost sounds scary, but I am going with it.

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts