NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,981 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

scalped it back + 7. Bad habit, I know, but a lot easier.

There was another absorbtion bar. Countertrend for sure at this point, riding +2 SD on both ETH and RTH vwap.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Price came back into value, then tested the TPO VAH. Short 2, may take one off. Going to ride the other.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

1 off 90.12, BE stop the 2nd

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

@GaryD, recently Sierra added a background type to the Number Bars V2 study called "Ask/Bid Volume Split Profile" which I requested them to do, because of some of greenr's cool looking charts. It is similar to what you have here, except that there is a separate profile per bar for bid and ask, and it shows very clearly which side the volume was on (though yours shows it with the dominant coloring as well). I just wanted to mention it since it's a new addition and something you might enjoy trying. Cheers mate!

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Silver Dragon View Post
@GaryD

All this stuff seems complicated compared to what you used to trade: Does it work? Not criticizing, just curious.

Edit: didnt finish my thought.. Does it work as well as your old system?

Robert

The short answer is NO.

The long answer;

I am trying to rewire some things that cause me to have more fear than I think is needed, and the goal is to have a better understanding of what to expect and why. In the process I find myself doing all kinds of things that are not productive.
  • I view the market from two separate perspectives, my old one and this new one. I trust new things when I shouldn't and then don't trust them when I should.
  • I misinterpret information based on context.
  • I think I am going to follow one thing and wind up fading it instead.
  • I let one profitable scalp after another turn on me.

But staying with it.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Silver Dragon View Post
@GaryD

All this stuff seems complicated compared to what you used to trade: Does it work? Not criticizing, just curious.

Edit: didnt finish my thought.. Does it work as well as your old system?

Robert

Here is an example of how I am attempting to define resistance in terms of MP and it is not working.

Versus a 6 range chart

zander931 
Portland, OR, US

Platform: Investor r/t, X_Trader, ToS
Broker: AMP/IQfeed
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,496
Thanks Received: 1,208

GaryD View Post
Here is an example of how I am attempting to define resistance in terms of MP and it is not working.

Versus a 6 range chart

Hey Gary, I've been following your journal for awhile and have gained some wonderful insights from it. In an effort to give back, I'd like to offer my humble opinion regarding your recent MP support/resistance comments.

Just a small note... This is all based on my (limited) knowledge and experience with market profile. So don't just take my word for it

Simply defining excess (in the terms of buying or selling tails, gaps, spikes, etc...) and trying to trade solely off of those references may not be effective in the long run. Everything must be taken in context.

For instance...

I don't personally trade CL, but from the chart you posted it looks like crude opened out of range, leaving a six day balance in the dust. You are obviously much more involved in the CL market than I, and I'm sure you had your reasons for the trade decisions you made today, but based on that information alone, I'd be stalking a long right from the open (of course, it's rather easy for me to say that in hindsight )

You may already consider all this, I admittedly haven't kept up with your new thread, so I don't know. But I thought I'd throw it out there.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

zander931 View Post
Hey Gary, I've been following your journal for awhile and have gained some wonderful insights from it. In an effort to give back, I'd like to offer my humble opinion regarding your recent MP support/resistance comments.

Just a small note... This is all based on my (limited) knowledge and experience with market profile. So don't just take my word for it

Simply defining excess (in the terms of buying or selling tails, gaps, spikes, etc...) and trying to trade solely off of those references may not be effective in the long run. Everything must be taken in context.

For instance...

I don't personally trade CL, but from the chart you posted it looks like crude opened out of range, leaving a six day balance in the dust. You are obviously much more involved in the CL market than I, and I'm sure you had your reasons for the trade decisions you made today, but based on that information alone, I'd be stalking a long right from the open (of course, it's rather easy for me to say that in hindsight )

You may already consider all this, I admittedly haven't kept up with your new thread, so I don't know. But I thought I'd throw it out there.

My nemesis is fear. It was a learned behavior for me, but I have adopted it as my own. I am trying to replace it with better understanding.

My trading developed out of some weird circumstances, a lot of trial and error, and a need to survive. I developed a sense of some things but not others, and even what I felt I "knew", I was not always sure why. Then as I was casually reading some posts, catching up with what I had missed over how ever many months, I read something that sounded completely foreign to me in the language but was putting things I "knew" into order and giving them definitions that I lacked. So I have decided to go hard core down that path to obtaining a greater depth of knowledge. I have removed almost everything I watched previously, believing it is making room for new information, but it leaves me feeling a bit lost some days.

The 5-day balance, I see now, I guess I saw then. I am digesting as I watch. Sometimes I see myself doing things that make no sense to me afterwards, something to do with stirring the pot. It is frustrating for sure. But I am not getting "hurt" exactly. I was wrong today, but bailed fast. And I watch a lot more than I trade.

The good news, I am learning a lot. And the books I am reading now are far beyond what I could even begin to assimilate a few years ago. At least what I read makes sense immediately. But in real time I still hesitate, stumble, contradict, etc.

If I were scalping as usual I would be doing much better, that is a fact. I do find myself "scalping back" a lot of my learning mishaps. But I never really had a lot of confidence in that style. It was a lot of fight or flight, and extremely stressful on me to stay in that zone for any length of time. Hopefully this year I will bring it all back together and come out stronger, calmer, better clarity, more confidence.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

There is a very lonely looking profile bar, whose NPOC seemed to be calling the market today. I watched price just stay pressed hard against the top until it finally hit, and then in near perfect synchronicity it let off, as I assume savvy traders took their profits.

That area coincides with the 618 of what was recently defined as W3, and the 50% of the major move down, as well as the bottom of W1 (not to be exceeded...) which was also the major neckline that appears to have been a catalyst for the major drop.

Of course, there is always another story, and in this case a MAJOR abc might have completed...

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts