NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,804 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

The cure to all is balance. Center. But we all swing away from center on some path, closer or wider, circular or linear, violent or subtle. And that is normal. The goal then, if looking for balance, seems like it would be to reduce the path of travel. But possibly balance is obtained by increasing acceptance of the volatility.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I made quite a bit of money in 2012. Gave a big chunk back towards the end of the year.

It was due to issues with trading. Or, not really trading, but issues that ultimately affect trade psychology.

And somewhat melted down in full view. It started while I was making a killing, and ended with a big wash and a broken spirit.

It sent me searching for something. Anything.

I found that when I had hit a low financially several years prior, a cocktail of denial mixed with survival casued me to not truly feel the impact until I was on the path back up. Like I came out of the ether and thought, what the fuck happened?

Moving back into a previous house was a very influential part of the formula. Maybe the trigger, but really I believe it was brewing the whole time and would climax no matter what the path was...

The cure, which I think I have found, or not a cure, but the push that sent me on a better direction, was accepting where I was, realizing an obsession I had developed out of shock... in my mind, I was doing all the right things for years. And that "mind" comes from experience. Not wisdom, which is experience that digests lasting truths, but just only having what I knew to base the future on.

I started calling friends.

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

GaryD View Post

What my trading lacks is not math, or analysis, or anything like that. It is confidence after the entry. I find that more often than not, my initial thought is correct. Not due to lucky guesses, but having spent thousands of hours trying to sense every breath of price action, some of that eventually sinks in. It is the not-knowing part, coupled with my own insecurities, that causes me to get a little scattered sometimes in trading.

The indicators I have today mean very little, other than to get a feel for what is happening at a quick glance. There are no trade rules today, I am done wiht them. Price action, structure, volume, and experience, and when I see something that seems right to me, and I can accept that once I am in and the exit points are established, I am done with it. Nearly impossible for me to do while watching it, so I minimize the charts and go on with the day.

Uncertainty is not comfortable to me. I am so wired to be super-analytical, was so driven to learn to trade that I obsessed way beyond sanity...

I currently find myself going through the same rites of passage - for example my CL Trade documented from post
157 to post 161
- almost each time the trades are triggered based on a mix of intuition, but usually after patiently waiting for setups where intuition is fed and once it is in tune with reading the pulse of the market - the acting on that emotion is the make or break part when it is demanded of - I find that the execution is as important as the 'knowing'.

I too have found, for example, that the first 'impulse' that suggests itself to me is almost always correct (perhaps triggered by the primitive amygdala of the brain?) and then it is matter of judging the pros and cons of acting upon that impulse.

I for one try to avoid math if I can every day (even though it is a practical necessity) - it either is laziness or it is some deeper issue - but it sometimes is damaging as it seems to be the glue that holds together the vital components of trading.

And welcome back. I look forward to reading your posts!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

iqgod View Post
I currently find myself going through the same rites of passage...almost each time the trades are triggered based on a mix of intuition, but usually after patiently waiting for setups where intuition is fed and once it is in tune with reading the pulse of the market - the acting on that emotion is the make or break part when it is demanded of -

I have gone through so many variations of trades purely rule-based, to indicator-based, to chart analysis-based, to intuition-based...built spreadsheets like crazy, backtested...

And all have merit...

But I remain a proponent of the human factor, and based on where my mind is right now, I am working my trades to exercise myself psychologically. Confidence & uncertainty play a much higher role to me than indicators or probabilities.

iqgod View Post
I find that the execution is as important as the 'knowing'.

Done correctly there is no separation.

iqgod View Post
I too have found, for example, that the first 'impulse' that suggests itself to me is almost always correct (perhaps triggered by the primitive amygdala of the brain?) and then it is matter of judging the pros and cons of acting upon that impulse.

I have not tried to define the origin of the initial impulse, but I have found that the "judging the pros and cons" has great variations of interpretation based on the mindset at the time.

iqgod View Post
I for one try to avoid math if I can every day (even though it is a practical necessity) - it either is laziness or it is some deeper issue - but it sometimes is damaging as it seems to be the glue that holds together the vital components of trade.

I have come to believe that the math is only needed to form the belief, or track the path. But ultimately, the math is just another lagging indicator.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

There is a definite difference having moved out of my prior house and into a friend's.

The last move felt uncomfortable, never felt right being in the house. Would wake up and one of my first thoughts was just, "fuck".

This recent move was strenuous, but I enjoyed getting settled in. half the size of our last home, but by filtering out a lot of unnecessities, and slowly working into the spaces this home has, it fits.

The house is circa 1920s, sits on a dead-end penninsula with 180 degree waterfrontage and a huge wraparound porch. Has some cool features, like full sound system to every room and the porch, 8 security cameras that all terminate on a screen in the master bedroom, so I can see the world outside from bed Outdoor TV room with built-in grill... I told my wife this is like a vacation house to me.

I set my trade desk up in a room that is open to the main living areas, with two full walls of windows looking out at the lake. I added a sofa and two chairs for friends/students to sit back and talk about what is happening on the charts, plus a 42" screen for easier casual viewing.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Crude broke the intermediate trendline today, and found resistance at the back side of it.

Now looking further back.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio
Legendary Master Data Manipulator

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TastyWorks / NT
Broker: TastyWorks /NT
Trading: FX, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 6,422
Thanks Received: 5,238

@GaryD,

Glad to see you are back. Looking forward to the next installment of your journey.

Robert

nosce te ipsum

You make your own opportunities in life.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Price wants to consolidate around 97.00, I was in at 96.80, added in to "trade positions or bust", and got back out of the 2nd at +something. If it can't continue down it may chase shorts out going into 2:30, but I am going to hold this.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts