NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Like a turtle to his balcony...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 1,625 posts (688 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 67 posts (106 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenr with 51 posts (53 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Deucalion with 28 posts (77 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 greenr with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 225,804 views
    2. thumb_up 1,158 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 1,905 posts
    2. attach_file 1,043 attachments

Search this Thread

Like a turtle to his balcony...

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Buying tails

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Bought on HVS bar, 1 off +20

greenr 
london/england

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra charts, NinjaTrader, VK Trader
Broker: CQG, AMP, VK, Kinetick
Trading: CL/6E/TF/ES
Thanks Given: 562
Thanks Received: 1,280

GaryD View Post

Great entry Mr Gary

your patience really payed off there

" I will follow my rules, I will take my stops, I will be disciplined and i will work with the market....NOT AGAINST IT! Professional mind control is the key"
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Disappointed myself, by closing at resistance around the VWAP. I do things like that more often than I care to. And keep no record of percentages when I am wrong or right. It "should" break 95.75, but...

And that self-doubt, or self-criticism... even the thought that somehow I am responsible for knowing or not knowing what price will do is insanity, or vanity, or ego. But that is where I beat myself up, if I am going to. Guilty of not knowing...

If the trade later proves to have gone tremendously in my favor, that would feel like I made a terrible trade. If price stops where I exitted and blows to 93, that would feel like I made an incredible trade. Silly, but inside there is some driving force that I feel. And am trying to pinpoint.

But, that is part of my journey.

Net 45.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Now is the insidious part... I was RIGHT this time. And that little seed will get planted and come back in ways I could never expect had I not been through it so many times...

What that can do, is cause me to exit on fear again next time. Or, I exit and am wrong causing a deeper feeling of regret because somehow I converted a winning trade with no expectation of outcome (correct) into a winning trade where I feel responsible for the outcome (incorrect). For example, I look back at the chart and se I got near the bottom of the move, and got out near the top of that swing, and feel "good" about it. Like it was something I could really control.

For my personality type, it is almost impossible to enter something like trading and not see it as a competition, a challenge, but then to see it as such and not be able to take control of the outcome is a hard lesson. Working on it. Getting better at it. But such a contrast.

And trying to dig into that concept is the purpose of this journal. And, the process of becoming an intuitive trader.

I saw in the book Mind Over Markets they offer labels of "Competent", "Proficient", "Expert". To me those titles seem to involve the same concerns I am having, that all could evoke ego. "Intuitive" seems to feel more correct.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

greenr View Post
Great entry Mr Gary

your patience really payed off there

Patience, not so much. Patience suggest that I "need" to get in, and am holding myself back.

"Listening". If I am "trading", I am not patient, but rather I am already trading before I am in the trade. The patience is when the market is closed, or it is overnight and I would like to participate but am in unfamiliar territory. Between 9am and 2:30pm, if I am watching, I am trading, even if I am flat.

Look at the volume spike, see how it came back for a test of the low and the volume is higher than before, and the wick shows absorbtion. Look back over time and see where price was accepted and trust that it should at least get that low before you start looking for that.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD View Post

The TRADE was that price will break 95.75 (day trader pivot) before it breaks 95.20 (some place I accepted as a stop loss based on what I would risk on the trade). I was not willing to find out at the VWAP. The INITIAL stop loss had nothing to do with a profit target, only to do wiht an emergency stop and allowing for room for an additional spike down, with the expectation being that the high volume would catch it.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD View Post
High level confluence zone

Look at the zone above, notice that price had not made it yet. No long trade consideration.

Now look at where price turned. And combine that with the HVS bar.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GaryD View Post

On a global view, crude has bounced off two 786s, with an attempt to DT at the current one.

Confluence at
106.71 - 107.51
98.40 - 98.90
95.00 - 95.20
93.10 - 93.20 (possible W4)
91.30 - 91.60
89.90 - 90.10

"Attempt to DT"

"95.00 - 95.20"

What I wish I would do, is use that as a short entry and target 95.30. And on a deeper level, that irritates me. But I choose "certainty" over uncertainty. Today I could not even challenge the daily VWAP, knowing that the "odds" somewhat preferred me taking what profit was immediately before me. But also knowing, or believing, that hitting 30% wins would be better than 65% wins.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Last Updated on August 5, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts