NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Way of the AttitudeTrader

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one AttitudeTrader with 151 posts (483 thanks)
    2. looks_two Robert Carrillo with 14 posts (26 thanks)
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 7 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 7 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two AttitudeTrader with 3.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Robert Carrillo with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 44,856 views
    2. thumb_up 611 thanks given
    3. group 43 followers
    1. forum 220 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

The Way of the AttitudeTrader

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, T4
Broker: IQFeed
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 6,868
Thanks Received: 869

No trades today.

I was very busy with other work today, otherwise I might have taken a few trades earlier.

However, first thing this morning I pulled up a longer-term (240 minute) chart and saw that price had reached an important (for me) expansion level, so I didn't feel like I was going to be missing out on any big moves. I believed that price would chop around in this area for a while before deciding which way to go - which it seems to have done.

"Is it hard? Not if you have the right attitude. It's having the right attitude that's hard." - Robert Pirsig
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Mission Plan: In development
Theater of Operation: Mike Six Echo Mike Three

Trade #337
07:31 Short. Poor entry after report spike.
14:14 Stop to b/e+1.
14:35 Trailing stop on 5min.
14:38 Modified target reached. +34 ticks.

Trade #338
12:43 Short. This entry was in a much better place.
14:14 Stop to b/e+1.
14:35 Trailing stop on 5min.
14:38 Modified target reached. +35 ticks.

AAR
  • Objective: Trade the M6E/6E the best I can for now and continue to work on developing my trading plan.
    -
  • Outcome: I took one silly trade today, and then one more appropriate trade.
    -
  • Observations: I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants a bit right now, but I think I needed to do that a little in order to start seeing through more relaxed eyes rather than frustrated ones.

"Is it hard? Not if you have the right attitude. It's having the right attitude that's hard." - Robert Pirsig
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Carrillo 
Omaha NE

Platform: IQFeed compatible
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 234
Thanks Received: 376

Very interesting to see how going against your normal behavior and methods affects your attitude. Bigger stops and the addition (?) of trailing stops appears to have loosened up more than your trading...

Thanked by:

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Robert Carrillo View Post
Very interesting to see how going against your normal behavior and methods affects your attitude.

@Robert Carrillo

I think you could also turn it around a little and say, "Very interesting how going against your normal attitude affects your behavior and methods," because what I've been working on is my attitude more than anything else.

-AT

Thanked by:

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Theater of Operation: Echo Uniform Romeo Uniform Sierra Delta

SitRep
07:25
The best setup (for me) occurred before I was at my desk this morning (blue rectangle on chart - around 05:00), and I wasn't keen to enter on the pullback that followed, but it turned out to be a great trade.

Trade #339
10:38 Long prematurely.
10:47 Stopped out. -14.3 pips. Not a good trade.

Trade #340
10:49 Long at a better place.
12:31 I had to leave the office early and I didn't want to have to wait through another swing down before a final move up, so I got out with +18.5 pips. Price never did go much further.

AAR
  • Objective: Trade the EUR/USD the best I can for now and continue to work on developing my trading plan.
    -
  • Outcome: I had a lot going on today with some trading-related management things (which I'll talk about this weekend), so I only took two trades.
    -
  • Observations: I've found that having a little more "room to work" and being able to do that with a small cost per tick is making a difference for me, so I'm gearing up to trade the micro FX in sim for a while.
    -
    I'll discuss this more over the weekend, but it will be late (maybe Sunday) because I have a lot of work from my other job to do.

Thanked by:

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Theater of Operation: Echo Sierra Mike Three

--------------------
Training Day 72 (05/22/2013)

Trade #261
08:28 Long just a little before the open.
08:38 Target reached. S5 Trader had me out with positive slippage, but I'm recording it as a normal target. +6 ticks.

--------------------
Training Day 73 (05/23/2013)

Trade #262
08:37 Long.
08:38 Stopped out. S5 Trader had me out with positive slippage, but I'm recording it as a full stop-out. -5 ticks.

Trade #263
08:39 Long on same setup/idea.
08:39 Target reached. +6 ticks.

Trade #264
09:00 Short.
09:00 Target reached. I'm using MIT orders, and since the market is pretty volatile today, I was filled one tick worse than expected. +5 ticks.

Trade #265
12:14 Long - MISTAKE. I got long when I meant to get short. Would have been a nice winner.
12:17 Stopped out. -5 ticks

Trade #266
12:32 Long.
12:37 Target reached. + 6 ticks.

--------------------
Training Day 74 (05/24/2013)

SitRep
08:35 Demo platform has gone down. I'll still take my setups and log them manually, win or lose.

Trade #267
08:43 Long.
08:45 Target reached. +6 ticks.

Trade #268
08:56 Short.
09:00 Target reached. +6 ticks.

*No S5 Trade Analyzer due to demo platform being down.

AAR
  • Objective: Trade the ES the best I can for now and continue to work on developing my trading plan.
    -
  • Outcome: I've done relatively well over the past 3 days.
    -
  • Observations: I've been struggling terribly lately trying to determine how best to proceed/progress. I'm still working to make some decisions, but I've gone back to my basic ES method over the past three days just to get back to something I'm somewhat comfortable with. I'll try to explain further once I've cleared things up more for myself.
    -
    Note that I've restarted the trade numbering to include only the ES trades that I've taken since the start of this exercise.

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been struggling. I feel like I got off track and became very lost at some point.

There are a lot of factors that have contributed to this, but I need to get back to some consistency and clarity.

So for the time being, I'll be going back to trading my basic ES method (in sim) to get back into a consistent routine.

I've made some modifications to my stats (and corrected a spreadsheet error) in order to give myself a more "realistic" view of my performance and to see what longer-term consistency looks like. I need to do this because I need to know, as soon as possible, what I can do with the account size that I currently have.

I changed all of the stats to reflect only 1 contract at a time, rather than the multiple contract scale-out method I used for part of the time. I did this for two reasons. First, because the scale-out was actually having a detrimental effect on my results, and second, because I need to see what is possible with my approach using just 1 contract.

I've modified the trade numbering to reflect only the ES trades that I've taken, and excluding the other products that I bounced in and out of. I did this so I can see clearly how many ES trades I've taken. I also modified the "Week" number in the grid to reflect the actual week of the year rather than a consecutive count.

I have some work to do to get myself back to a place of being clear about my direction.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,539

Just focus on a tiny number of things until you get your footing back. Don't worry about the end result (net profit).

Instead, just pick one or two things you want to get right, keep them very straightforward and simple (like don't take more than 3 trades today, or don't chase entries, or don't flip flop from long to short in same day). Then score yourself on these at the end of the day, and do it for enough days until you get "A's" in your score, then you can move on to other areas.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Trade #269
08:36 Short.
08:39 Target reached. +6 ticks.

Trade #270
09:17 Short.
09:19 Stopped out. S5 Trade Analyzer shows only a 4 tick loss, but I'm recording it as a full stop. -5 ticks.

Trade #271
09:25 Short.
09:37 Target reached. +6 ticks.

AAR
  • Objective: Trade the ES the best I can for now and continue to work on developing my trading plan.
    -
  • Outcome: Took three trades with two wins and one loss.
    -
  • Observations: I went against the trend on all three trades, but rather than trying to pick a top, my trades were based on the current conditions and context at the time of entry.

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Trade #272
08:31 Long.
08:31 Stopped out. -5 ticks.
Stopped out to the tick before price turned around.

Trade #273
08:31 Long. I believe the setup is still valid. I hammed the entry orders though and got long 2 cars.
08:32 Exited 1 car at market as soon as I was clear about my position. +1 tick.

Trade #274
08:31 Still long on the remaining contract.
08:32 Price was moving strongly so I extended my target by 1 tick. +7 ticks.

AAR
    -
  • Outcome: Only took three trades because I'm keeping it tight right now. I also had to leave to do other work.
    -
  • Observations: Felt a little more relaxed today for some reason.

Last Updated on June 30, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts