NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TST Combine results and strategies for passing

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Pedro40 with 48 posts (55 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 14 posts (15 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xelaar with 11 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 vercetti with 8 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one iankotze with 11 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Pedro40 with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vercetti with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 38,162 views
    2. thumb_up 139 thanks given
    3. group 26 followers
    1. forum 131 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

TST Combine results and strategies for passing

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

yiehom View Post
My preference goes to the 10 days MINIMUM. Why suffer 10 more days if avoidable?

Well, if the goal is to pass, become funded, pass the live combine, and then trade successfully for many years, then what's 10 more days? Said another way, if you can trade the 10 days successfully, shouldn't you be able to trade the 20 days successfully?

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

josh View Post
Well, if the goal is to pass, become funded, pass the live combine, and then trade successfully for many years, then what's 10 more days? Said another way, if you can trade the 10 days successfully, shouldn't you be able to trade the 20 days successfully?

Yes, you should be able to do that since you need to successfully pass the Live Combine too and build your account cushion, or you'll have to go back to the Combine status you just completed before...

Thanked by:
Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

As I mentioned earlier, just by profit target wise, there are 3 Combines: 1 easy, 4 averages and 3 harder. Usually the longer the Combine the smaller the average daily profit target.

For example compare the 30K/10days and the 30K/20days. The first one has a $23 per day per car profit target (you can trade for 22 days), the later has a $15 (you can trade for 42 days). That is a 50% difference....

Now in the old version it was $50 vs. $30. So with the changes, even the new 10days Combine is easier than the old 20 days, profit target wise...

Thanked by:

yiehom 
Luxembourg

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja trader, Metatrader.
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: FX, CL, GC.
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 45

The target at hand is to succeed at the combine. After that I believe the conditions are a bit different.

josh View Post

Thanked by:
vercetti
Manchester, NH

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 12

I wonder if TopStepTrader will be announcing before the end of the week that Ninja Trader is available.

Thanked by:
vercetti
Manchester, NH

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 12

Lets keep this post going. New traders will benefit from information coming here.

Thanked by:
Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

I am posting a response here from another thread, because it belongs to this discussion, not in that journal:

xelaar View Post
. I gave it a lot of thought and it made me realize there is no point taking a small Combine, work on passing it and end up (hopefully) with a small capital, while I could trade with larger risk on my own. So even though large combines are more expensive and have more demanding risk control and the target profit, they actually give two major advantages:
1. Having much larger daily loss and number of contracts they allow to start small and build up some cushion first and increase risk gradually during the Combine. So initially the target is building the cushion and raising the number of cars traded, and once it is done next target is achieving Combine profit target. With 30k Combine you hardly can do that, with 500 usd max dd, even with 1 car traded initially it's easy to screw up this badly and it is the end of Combine. But even as you build up a cushion, you still have max loss of 500 and with 3 cars at this point it's just 16 ticks away from a disaster. While with 150k Combine you actually have 3000 daily loss limit to play with and a lot of space to build up
2. When you are funded with 30k you need to put a lot of effort to work out to the same limits as you would have if you do this from beginning in the 150k Combine. So actually you do a lot of free work building a cushion and not taking any money away before you can do some work for a pay, while TST is having a totally free ride as you are not endangering any capital they have provided anymore!!!
3. I consider that with a largest Combine it is much more easy to make it to the refund or rollover, because again you can ignore profit target for a moment and just trade right with metrics in mind and be very far away from getting close to loss limits. So while in relative terms you need to produce more profit percentage and have less percentage of limits but it gives you an opportunity to be wrong many times on smaller positions and still be able to get to rollover or refund to try again.

I agree, the smallest Combine is although the easiest, but for real money generation, it is almost worthless to pass. According to Mr. Patak, the 50K is the most popular, and I agree, that is the one what most beginners should try first. The price is only slightly higher, but there is more room to make mistakes.

Now the 150K Combine with the 3000$ DLL is the exactly same like the 50K with 1000$ DLL, so there is no advantage in either, but the profit target is less for the 50K, so keep that in mind.

Your 3rd point, to make it to refund/rollover, it is equally easy/hard in all Combines, you just have to make $1 and have good stats...

Thanked by:

xelaar 
prague, czech republic

Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: LMAX
Trading: DAX, Gold, Euro
Thanks Given: 1,740
Thanks Received: 2,568

thanks appreciate your response. by easier to roll over I mean its hardest to hot max daily loss or max dd unless you use all cars but then thete is more room to buil the cushion. all depend on a strategy but trading with 1 or 2 trades per day I think is the hardest to pass a combine becase you need to trade with planned size from the start.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Brewer20 
Denver, CO

Platform: T4/TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 71
Thanks Received: 93

Pedro40 View Post
I am posting a response here from another thread, because it belongs to this discussion, not in that journal:

I agree, the smallest Combine is although the easiest, but for real money generation, it is almost worthless to pass. According to Mr. Patak, the 50K is the most popular, and I agree, that is the one what most beginners should try first. The price is only slightly higher, but there is more room to make mistakes.

Now the 150K Combine with the 3000$ DLL is the exactly same like the 50K with 1000$ DLL, so there is no advantage in either, but the profit target is less for the 50K, so keep that in mind.

Your 3rd point, to make it to refund/rollover, it is equally easy/hard in all Combines, you just have to make $1 and have good stats...

I agree that the two combines traders should focus on are the $50k and the $150k. If you look at the requirements, once funded, for account cushion and such, they are the same for $30k and $50k, and $100k and $150k. So presumably they would be easier to achieve on the $50k and $150k accounts.

Plan your trade, trade your plan.
Thanked by:
 Timot 
London

vercetti View Post
Lets keep this post going. New traders will benefit from information coming here.

I'm a new trader but I have no idea of what you are talking about here. I cannot make any sense of the posts. Thanks.

Last Updated on June 9, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts