NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Swing Trading Futures

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one karoshiman with 195 posts (58 thanks)
    2. looks_two djkiwi with 7 posts (11 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Silvester17 with 3 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 pawnbroker with 3 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SteveH with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Silvester17 with 4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 djkiwi with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 karoshiman with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 35,671 views
    2. thumb_up 107 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 216 posts
    2. attach_file 85 attachments

Search this Thread

Swing Trading Futures

karoshiman
Munich, Germany

Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 117

Short Lean Hog at 88.40. Breakout of triangle.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LH_D_2013_01_09.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	99082  

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
karoshiman
Munich, Germany

Covered Sugar long at 18.56 with a loss. Short from here.

karoshiman
Munich, Germany

Short Class III Milk at 17.95. Breakout of congestion zone.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DA_D_2013_01_09.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	99090  
karoshiman
Munich, Germany

Out of my Sugar short at 18.91 with a loss. Honestly, I have no clue what Sugar is doing at the moment... should probably stay out...

pawnbroker 
Cheltenham

Experience: Advanced
Platform: InvestorRT, NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 107

With regard to the silver (SI) chart, one of the signs to look for signs of strength is when the volume on the down bars is high and the market shows strength soon after. It is also necessary to qualify that I mean down bars near after a move down, as down bars near the tops can be real selling, especially if the bars high is above the previous bar (it went up and hit supply).

My reading of the weekly SI chart is bearish, but I mentioned an area of congestion, which can be a sign of accumulation. While I concluded that SI is in a bearish pattern, it is necessary to keep an open mind and to check for signs that the position is changing or if the analysis was wrong.

The attached chart shows three bars that illustrate how to use the volume on a daily chart. Notice that the bar in Sept shows high volume on an up bar and after that the market went sideways and then reversed.

In December, very high volume was seen on a down bar that closed near the low with wide spread on the price. That shows supply and it is bearish. The supply needs to be removed before the trend can reverse, but this bar may be a price level where the smaller traders are selling to larger traders. If it is bullish, to a degree, it does not look like accumulation has been completed.

Now compare the high volume bar in January to the bar in December. The price makes a new low, but the range is low compared to the December bar and the close is near the top of the bar. The reduction in volume shows that supply has reduced and the combination of the reduced spread and the close near the highs shows that demand has increased. The next few bars are up, which confirms the strength.

The VSA indicator for the December bar is "Potential Climactic Action", which means that the last sellers have sold (potentially that is - not for sure).

The Jan bar shows "Strength Coming In", which is a sign of strength where the volume is high on a down bar and the close is near the high and the spread is not too high. Again, this does not mean that the down move is over, but it may be the signs of accumulation that can be seen in the volume before a sustained rise occurs.

Notice that the bars I have highlighted are easy to spot as they are clearly much higher than the surrounding bars, so we know that they represent large commitments and that they have clear significance.

The weekly chart still looks troubling, but a retest of the lows near July 2012 at the 27 level may be a good place to watch for further signs of strength.

Ideally the weekly chart should start to show the high volume on the down bars followed by strength. The daily chart will show changes first, but the weekly chart gives a better overview.

This analysis is intended purely for educational reasons to show how volume is used in the VSA method.

Best of luck in 2013!

Thanked by:
karoshiman
Munich, Germany

Long Feeder Cattle near support at 152.75 after breakout of triangle.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC_D_2013_01_11.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	99286  
Thanked by:
karoshiman
Munich, Germany

Out of Feeder Cattle long at 152.05 with a loss. Should have waited for the report to come out and see how market closed.

Thanked by:

djkiwi 
Mercer Island WA

Platform: Ninjatrader/Strategy Desk
Broker: Various
Trading: TF/NQ/ES/Stocks
Thanks Given: 981
Thanks Received: 1,558

@karoshiman

Nice posts. I'm interested in your selection of instruments. I've recently expanded my instrument list as well. A couple of questions.

1. Which data feed are you using?
2. What is the criteria you use to decide the basket of instruments you trade? I'm not talking about setups but more Minimum volume/liquidity etc?
3. What type of slippage do you typically incur on these lower liquidity type of instruments such as feeder cattle?
4. Which economic reports do you consider before you trade if any?

Thanks
DJ

Thanked by:
karoshiman
Munich, Germany

djkiwi View Post
@karoshiman

Nice posts. I'm interested in your selection of instruments. I've recently expanded my instrument list as well. A couple of questions.

1. Which data feed are you using?
2. What is the criteria you use to decide the basket of instruments you trade? I'm not talking about setups but more Minimum volume/liquidity etc?
3. What type of slippage do you typically incur on these lower liquidity type of instruments such as feeder cattle?
4. Which economic reports do you consider before you trade if any?

Thanks
DJ

Hi DJ,

Thanks.

1. Tradestation
2. As I do not trade large size, volume/liquidity is not an issue for me. I do look at the spreads, though (e.g., if I want to trade the resp. mini contracts - some of them have unfavorable spreads). I trade, when I see a setup. I started out trading ES only, but got tired once when I did not see one trade within several weeks... I thought, other markets might have opportunities when ES has none.
3. Given my small trade size (usually 1-3 contracts), I had no slippage issues so far.
4. Actually none. In this respect, my comment above is misleading. It just happened that I saw on various posts on Twitter & StockTwits that many people were waiting for this WASDE report to come out. My conclusion for the failed Feeder Cattle trade should have been only "Should have waited for the daily close in order to see how price reacted near support".

Thank you for asking these questions so that I can clarify.

Regards,
k

Thanked by:

djkiwi 
Mercer Island WA

Platform: Ninjatrader/Strategy Desk
Broker: Various
Trading: TF/NQ/ES/Stocks
Thanks Given: 981
Thanks Received: 1,558

karoshiman View Post
Hi DJ,

Thanks.

1. Tradestation
2. As I do not trade large size, volume/liquidity is not an issue for me. I do look at the spreads, though (e.g., if I want to trade the resp. mini contracts - some of them have unfavorable spreads). I trade, when I see a setup. I started out trading ES only, but got tired once when I did not see one trade within several weeks... I thought, other markets might have opportunities when ES has none.
3. Given my small trade size (usually 1-3 contracts), I had no slippage issues so far.
4. Actually none. In this respect, my comment above is misleading. It just happened that I saw on various posts on Twitter & StockTwits that many people were waiting for this WASDE report to come out. My conclusion for the failed Feeder Cattle trade should have been only "Should have waited for the daily close in order to see how price reacted near support".

Thank you for asking these questions so that I can clarify.

Regards,
k

@karoshiman

Thanks K.

That has been my conclusion also and I'm in full agreement with your approach. I have been trading seven instruments; 6E, ES, TF, NQ, GC, FDAX and CL. The only difference is I'm using volume profile to define support and resistance. When analyzing losing trades on these instruments the common theme has been the setups weren't ideal. With the expanded list I'm already seeing more attractive opportunities.

I've now expanded the list as per the attached.

To qualify for the list the instrument has to have a minimum of 800k volume per month. Out of the Soft ICE agricultural products of Coffee, Sugar, Cocoa and grains only Sugar seems to satisfy the criteria which trades over 2 million a month.

I notice you are trading Feeder cattle. That only has about 120k per month. The reason I've excluded these instruments so far is spread and likely slippage, although have no stats to confirm without doing some testing. Approximately what type of spread are you experiencing on Feeder cattle?

Cheers
DJ

ps I didn't realize tradestation included ICE US in their data feed hence the question.

Last Updated on May 24, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts