NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Errors when compiling indicators (using cjbooth's system)

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bnichols with 12 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two processing with 8 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Zondor with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 pepbosch with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silvester17 with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Abde with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bnichols with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,333 views
    2. thumb_up 10 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 32 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Errors when compiling indicators (using cjbooth's system)

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MC, MC.Net, NT, TWS
Broker: IB / IQFeed / Kids
Trading: Forex, stocks
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 460

dimitri View Post
Dear bnichols, I would like to ask you the favor to address me where to find the indicators you are using in your chart .... with prefix ... TD ... TDMACD , TDStochastics , TDSMA ....
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Best Regards
Dimitri

Don't want to hijack the thread but I prefix any indicator I write with "TD-" to mark it as pre-release, experimental or unsupported. These however are simple modifications to stock NT indicators (to color the indicator based on slope) I've used for years without apparent issues so probably ought to post them to the downloads section. In the meantime I've attached an NT import file containing TDSMA, TDStochastics, TDMACD and TD15EMASlope. If you import the ZIP file note that @MAX.cs, @MIN.cs, @EMA.cs and @SMA.cs are along for the ride and can be excluded.

Note that the TDMACD indicator is slightly different than conventional MACD in that the histogram is MACD itself rather than the difference between MACD and its average, and an envelope has been added to the histogram to smooth its edges. Also, the extra curve in the TDStochastics window is simply TDSMA applied to TDStochastics and overlaid on TDStochastics.

P.S. Same package now available in downloads section at Downloads - [AUTOLINK]NinjaTrader[/AUTOLINK] 7 Indicators - Big Mike's Trading Forum

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: TDSeries.zip
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
26 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

[MENTION=13636]gloricle[/MENTION] ... time to check assumptions.

It suddenly struck me you said you "clicked compile" which may be the clue. Can you confirm you're installing the export files (the downloaded .ZIP files) using NT's import utility (i.e., the right way ) rather than by any other means?

Edited to add: NT import utility at "File > Utilities > Import Ninjascript..."

processing 
Sydney, NSW

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Quantower
Frequency: Other
Duration: Other
Thanks Given: 285
Thanks Received: 139

OK, I've imported that indicator ZIP files the right way now. I just loaded up a chart and have chosen to view tick charts.

...when I do so, the chart doesn't display anything.

I've changed the session template to 24/7 as I thought that would help, but it didn't...

Now I am stuck again.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

This sounds like an entirely different can of worms unfortunately.

Coincidentally one of my sons reports his NT/Gain (platform/data feed) combo recently quit downloading historical tick data (he swears he didn't change anything, even if that remains to be seen), and I never had any luck obtaining historical tick data through NT/Interactive Brokers. As an aside MultiCharts still appears bullet proof, never had an issue wringing historical tick data (such as it is) out of Interactive Brokers despite IB's strict pacing rules.

NT with Gain/IB data feeds does appear to capture real-time tick data however and in any event appears able to receive historical data for time-based charts.

So assuming the lack of data wasn't due to some markets shutting down early yesterday, 2 questions:

1. What is your platform/data feed/instrument combo?
2. Can you construct time-based charts (e.g., minute, hour, day)?

Edited to add: By the way I still have the bad habit of tinkering with my installations & my trading plan despite conventional wisdom that in general if it's up and you want to keep it up don't [mess] with it. As a consequence sometimes I feel like Joe Btfsplk (jinxed Li'l Abner character, last name pronounced by "blowing a raspberry" according to Al Capp, the cartoonist)

processing 
Sydney, NSW

Platform is Ninja Trader 7.
Data feed is CQG.
Instrument is 6E.

I am able to load time based charts, i.e. minute, day, week, just not tick charts...

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

I'm beginning to suspect NT cannot handle historical tick data no matter what the provider and very likely NT will not show tick charts unless you've had tick charts up in the past and have saved the live data (i.e., "Tools > Options > Data > Save chart data as historical"check box ticked. While you're at it might as well turn on " "Tools > Options > Data > Record for market replay").

In other words if NT has not saved downloaded tick data in the past there is a good chance it cannot retrieve it either, so be prepared to capture it while NT is up, and go to any length to import tick data converted from other sources if your installation is down for any length of time or work with tick data gaps. Or not

Look forward to being corrected about this. It is more likely some NT/data feed combo I have not tried does download historical tick data, which might imply more programming effort in place for those feeds than the ones I use. On that topic, just turned IQFeed on again but keep it off when trading spot Forex, since IQFeed position doesn't match broker position often enough.

processing 
Sydney, NSW

OK, I've checked the those two settings as you mentioned, @bnichols, so when the markets reopen on Monday, I'll leave NT running on my machine and see if the tick charts work.

Thanks for all your help so far!

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

gloricle View Post
OK, I've checked the those two settings as you mentioned, @bnichols, so when the markets reopen on Monday, I'll leave NT running on my machine and see if the tick charts work.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Sweetie. I've thrown all the dogs I've ever owned into the deep end to see if they can swim. Not sensing a whole lot of swimming here.

Do not rely on me.

On a lighter note, nobody owns cats.

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

Hi [MENTION=13636]gloricle[/MENTION]:

I apologize for my last post. After a certain threshold lack of sleep coupled with the alkaloids and their antidotes I consume to function reach a stalemate, which appears to trigger a gene inherited from my father (no doubt inherited from our Neanderthal ancestors) to drive away all around us. I'm sure it served a purpose once--encourages the tribe to disperse and sons to leave home when the time comes, for example, to ensure genetic diversity (in this case diversity of ideas)--and I have it on good authority the founder of one of the major pizza chains in the U.S. enjoys the same genetics--but probably not appreciated by many anymore in this age of connectedness, Friends, Face Book and Twitter. Not that the founders of the brave new world order aren't inclined to grab the meal and run away with it--just that running away with the goods is not talked about much

That said, I'm curious whether you've been able to assemble tick charts.

Zondor 
Portland Oregon, United States

Platform: NinjatraderŽ
Broker: CQG, Kinetick
Trading: Gameplay KlownbineŽ Trading of Globex
Thanks Given: 1,246
Thanks Received: 2,731

Try downloading tick data for the instrument you are interested, in using the historical data manager.

It would be a good idea for you to learn the basics of Ninjatrader by watching their instructional webinars.

To avoid further confusion, please disregard the irrelevant responses from preceding poster in this thread.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on September 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts