NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

UniRenko, Universal Renko Bar Type

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one MWinfrey with 27 posts (120 thanks)
    2. looks_two Tasker_182 with 27 posts (83 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jmcg618 with 21 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 20 posts (54 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one monpere with 33.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two dstrader with 8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MWinfrey with 4.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Tasker_182 with 3.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 426,286 views
    2. thumb_up 1,698 thanks given
    3. group 227 followers
    1. forum 695 posts
    2. attach_file 122 attachments

Search this Thread

UniRenko, Universal Renko Bar Type

TempletonPeck 
Germany

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Thanks Given: 1,138
Thanks Received: 202

aligator View Post
@monpere,

Thanks a bunch for your great invention. My first trade this morning using UniR was good trade.

My question, if I may please, is whether it is possible to write a little indicator for projection of the next bar open (something similar to the one one range bars). I am not quite familiar with the construct of UniR bars.

Much appreciated for sharing.

Cheers!

IMO the "AligatorRenkoRangeTargetByThatManFromTexas"- Indicator works to show the projected close of the current bar. The next bar will open when price goes up/down 1 tick above/below these values.

Edit: I just noticed the "AligatorRenkoRangeTargetByThatManFromTexas" doesn´t show the correct values for all settings. I think I was lucky it worked with the settings (T2R6O2) I tried the last days. With (T2R4O2) it seems not to work. Perhaps a programmer can look into this.

@monpere
When you enter on reversal bars, do you enter 1 tick above/ below the reversal bar (stop market order)?
Or do you use Stop Limit Orders with an offset of -1, so when price ticks 1 tick above/below the reversal bar (new candle is printed) a limit order is entered with the value of the close of the reversal bar?
But in fast markets you won´t get a fill sometimes.

Thanks for sharing this indicator!

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: AligatorRenkoRangeTargetByThatManFromTexas.zip

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

gregid 
Wrocław, Poland

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, Racket
Trading: Ockham's razor
Thanks Given: 320
Thanks Received: 623

MWinfrey View Post
Yes that's exactly correct that price went 2 ticks which by the definition I've been using causes a new bar to be printed. By my understanding of Renko, if using a 2 tick renko brick, price only has to go 2 ticks to paint a new bar, not 3.

I've used the following link as the definition of renko...
Renko Chart Definition | Investopedia

The phrase providing the actual definition is "A renko chart is constructed by placing a brick in the next column once the price surpasses the top or bottom of the previous brick by a predefined amount." I've always interpreted predefined amount to be the brick size. So, in our example, every price change of 2 ticks causes a new brick to be printed. Also, I've evaluated a number of variations of the renko brick and believe all that I've seen to comply with that. However, this could be one of those situation where I wake up and find out that I've been operating all this time under a false interpretation but I don't think so.

Depending what do you need it for but the way unirenko calculates new bar is my preferred way for automated strategies - it does a better job at denoising (it creates a new bar once the move in the direction is confirmed)

Thanked by:

gregid 
Wrocław, Poland

If anyone still wants to have the behavior of creating new bar on "touch" as opposed to on "exceed" the change in the code should be quite straightforward. Just replace the following lines (54,55):

Code

maxExceeded  bars.Instrument.MasterInstrument.Compare(closebarMax) > true false;

minExceeded  bars.Instrument.MasterInstrument.Compare(closebarMin) < true false

With:

Code

maxExceeded  bars.Instrument.MasterInstrument.Compare(closebarMax) >= true false;

minExceeded  bars.Instrument.MasterInstrument.Compare(closebarMin) <= true false
Can't test it right now but that should be it.

BTW Thanks @monpere for the bar type - I used similar implementation of my own but I like yours even better

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

Could you expose this property to the user so that it can be set in the user interface?
New bar on touch: True/False

gregid View Post
If anyone still wants to have the behavior of creating new bar on "touch" as opposed to on "exceed" the change in the code should be quite straightforward. Just replace the following lines (54,55):

Code

maxExceeded  bars.Instrument.MasterInstrument.Compare(closebarMax) > true false;

minExceeded  bars.Instrument.MasterInstrument.Compare(closebarMin) < true false

With:

Code

maxExceeded  bars.Instrument.MasterInstrument.Compare(closebarMax) >= true false;

minExceeded  bars.Instrument.MasterInstrument.Compare(closebarMin) <= true false
Can't test it right now but that should be it.

BTW Thanks @monpere for the bar type - I used similar implementation of my own but I like yours even better

gregid 
Wrocław, Poland

trendisyourfriend View Post
Could you expose this property to the user so that it can be set in the user interface?

It could be done but I don't remember how many parameters are exposed by NinjaTrader for bar types.
UniRenko already uses: Value, Value2, BasePeriodValue so the complication may be there are no other fields that could store/expose this information

Thanked by:

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,371

trendisyourfriend View Post

gregid View Post
It could be done but I don't remember how many parameters are exposed by NinjaTrader for bar types.
UniRenko already uses: Value, Value2, BasePeriodValue so the complication may be there are no other fields that could store/expose this information

It can be done. I experimented and evaluated with this idea, and even as a scalper I concluded that it is of little value overall. I don't believe that on-touch, or exceeding the defined range by 1 tick should really make or break a trader's trading method. If it does, I would look at the merit of that trading approach itself. But if there's enough demand for this feature, I can include it.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
 rk142 
Atlanta, GA

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: N/A
Thanks Given: 117
Thanks Received: 328

Woah! I sweated and stomped, and huffed and puffed my way to the top of the mountain, and I guess I should've planted my flag when I had the chance

Or waited a month or so to save the effort...

Thanks for posting this, @monpere, I'm psyched to download it and check out the code.

best,
RK

Thanked by:
shanemcdonald28
new york

Thanks Given: 665
Thanks Received: 582

is there some way I can get this ?
I am not an elite member and I exclusively use renko bars.
This looks very interesting.

thanks
shane

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

shanemcdonald28 View Post
is there some way I can get this ?
I am not an elite member and I exclusively use renko bars.
This looks very interesting.

thanks
shane

I think you got 2 choices.

- become an elite member
- go to ninjatrader forum Links and Downloads Manager - [AUTOLINK]NinjaTrader[/AUTOLINK] Support Forum

shanemcdonald28
new york

Thanks Given: 665
Thanks Received: 582

i found it on ninjatrader.com
thanks so much !
it looks very promising for my automated strategies so far !

shane

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 3, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts