NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Strategy Builder for Non-Programmers NO CODE

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one jmont1 with 47 posts (85 thanks)
    2. looks_two romus with 29 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fugitive69 with 16 posts (30 thanks)
    4. looks_4 userque with 15 posts (11 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fugitive69 with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two jmont1 with 1.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 romus with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 userque with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 48,602 views
    2. thumb_up 158 thanks given
    3. group 44 followers
    1. forum 132 posts
    2. attach_file 66 attachments

Search this Thread

Strategy Builder for Non-Programmers NO CODE

jmont1 
New York, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader8
Broker: Data = Rithmic -- Gives 70 Level II Data
Trading: 6C (Low Margin,) 6E, CL, GC, ES and Maybe DX for smaller tick value
Thanks Given: 1,719
Thanks Received: 1,019

markbb10 View Post
@jmont1 Thank you VERY much for taking the time and effort to do this. I will load it and play with it tomorrow.

Very Appreciative of your efforts.

Mark

An advanced trader is always appreciated on FIO. As primarily novices we are HOPING for the leader to take us higher.

Again, the base is 2 off at target and third runner -- let me know if you have any issues modifying it.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 jmont1 
New York, NY

jmont1 View Post
@markbb10, No one replied with how to fix the Trend but that may be OK. Since I do not code, I understand how frustrating it can be to think you have a great setup but cannot find a way to automate it.
If you need help figuring this out - you may contact me through a DM.

@markbb10, This had such a poor performance I thought I would take another look at it. So I added in the new NT8 choppiness index with their recommended settings. If you are not familiar with it, sort of counter-intuitive since more chop raises the number. Then trending makes the chop # smaller.

Still does not seem to be a winning set up yet - but hopefully you have more ideas for your system.

I also added a print of the current signal #s so you can see them on the screen and maybe figure out what you want as minimums for the set up. Could not find a good number of offset for the print based on various instruments so the offsets are adjustable. The print is 1 bar back to also try to see the numbers better but can be confusing when they correlate to a previous entry -- which seems common.

Takes a LOT of trades. Good luck!

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: WWMAiRbasic2.cs
Thanked by:

casey44 
Louisville KY

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT8
Trading: micros
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,049
Thanks Received: 311

@markbb10...I may be totally misunderstanding as don't have skill set to follow the strat details here... but fwiw when I saw a strategy involving the SuperTrend (ST) and the choppy note... one thought is if you want to minimize the number of indicators/variables involved in the strategy maybe you could just use another one or two SuperTrend indis set to a higher time frame, regardless whether all were range bars, volume bars, time bars, or a mix. The thought being that trading only when you have multiple time frame continuity might be enough to filter out the excess chop/no trading times.
For example, suppose you like to execute somehow keying on the ST of a 3R bar chart, but now you add a 5R ST and/or a 8R ST as well for example and only take a trade when all ST's are showing the same bias.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 markbb10 
Treasure Coast, Florida

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninja 8
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 50

@jmont1 Thanks for the update. This is helpful to me as an educational blueprint in developing some
code that can mimic what I look at day to day. I will check this version out and let you know how I am doing.

Thanks again for your input and help

Mark

markbb10 
Treasure Coast, Florida

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninja 8
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 50

@casey44 Thanks for the input Casey, I have never automated my trading but with the market volatility and the
number of variables I look at it was getting too difficult to do manually. I do need to incorporate some
aspects of a multi-time frame analysis. I trade off a renko chart but I have to integrate a tick based timeframe into the
analysis as well, that is my next step.

The supertrend I use primarily as a stop loss point to keep me in the runs.

Mark

Thanked by:
 ticktock 
Oklahoma City, OK/USA

Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: Stocks, Futures
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 18

Not sure if I am in right thread.....

I was trying to use the NT8 strategy builder to do a very basic strategy to start out with then add more things into it to flesh it out into something useful.....maybe.

I was wanting to use the indicators from eminiwatch. Specifically from the bettermomentum indicator.

The issue I am having is that I keep running into a CS0118 error ("NinjaTrader.Indicators.MTFBetterMomentum" is a "type" but is used like a "variable")

I wrote to the author and got a rapid response. His solution or my ability to implement his solution doesn't work.

He did say that I could call on his indicators to build strategies on but that he doesn't code ninjascript.

I started by trying to just call on his indicator (MTFBetterMomentum) and enter a long when a exhaustion Bull (ExBull) dot was plotted, to keep it simple and make sure its doable.

his comments.

Quoting 
But this code snippet shows how to call the functions.

Using MTF_Better_Momentum as an example.

We declare each output as a series variable

private Series<double> exBull;

Initialise the series in DataLoaded

if (State == State.DataLoaded)
{
exBull = new Series<double>(this);
}

Set the inputs in Configure

if (State == State.Configure)
{
MTFBetterMomentum().ew_MTF = true;
MTFBetterMomentum().ew_UseUpTicks = true;
}

Note that I've renamed all the inputs to start with 'ew_' so make them easier to find.

Then you get your results in OnBarUpdate

protected override void OnBarUpdate()
{
exBull = MTFBetterMomentum().ExBull;
}

Note that ExBull matches the output name.

I get the above mentioned error at each line his indicator is stated.

Any direction of where to go or help punching through this would be great.

userque
Chicago IL

Thanks Given: 573
Thanks Received: 130

ticktock View Post

I was trying to use the NT8 strategy builder to do a very basic strategy to start out with then add more things into it to flesh it out into something useful.....maybe.

I was wanting to use the indicators from eminiwatch. Specifically from the bettermomentum indicator.

The issue I am having is that I keep running into a CS0118 error ("NinjaTrader.Indicators.MTFBetterMomentum" is a "type" but is used like a "variable")

I wrote to the author and got a rapid response. His solution or my ability to implement his solution doesn't work.

He did say that I could call on his indicators to build strategies on but that he doesn't code ninjascript.

I started by trying to just call on his indicator (MTFBetterMomentum) and enter a long when a exhaustion Bull (ExBull) dot was plotted, to keep it simple and make sure its doable.

his comments.

I get the above mentioned error at each line his indicator is stated.

I'm relatively new to ninjascript/c#, but I'm guessing one problem is that you aren't using a "barsAgo" value. One would be required, I would think, for a series (array). For example: "RSI(20, 3)[0]" The "[0]" tells it zero bars ago ... or the current RSI value. RSI(20, 3)[1] would be the RSI value one bar ago.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/?relative_strength_index_rsi.htm

jmont1 
New York, NY

ticktock View Post

@ticktock, If you are using Strategy Builder it only uses "Int" for recognizable plots. But it appears you are doing regular coding so this would be a better location to request assistance:

NJAMC View Post
I get a lot of requests for help building strategies. Many of which are repeats of other requests. I am starting this thread to handle many of these requests as the public building and revising of strategies would certainly help the community.

ticktock 
Oklahoma City, OK/USA

Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: Stocks, Futures
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 18

Actually I was trying to use the Strategy builder but it kept kicking me out into the ninjascript editor when it would fail to compile. I wrote to the indicator owner and that was the reply.

I have solved the issue though. I am not familiar with C# and wasn't that interested in taking the time to figure out the syntax but as it looks like I will be getting deeper into the code after playing around with the strategy builder, I spent the last week pouring through a couple c# tuts to get the syntax down. Its a bit different from python and I have an aversion to anything microsoft but you gotta do what you gotta do.

romus 
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Legendary Wicked Trader

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: SPI
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 2,012
Thanks Received: 3,168

Variables to compare

I am trying to set variables and just cannot get my head around it in Strategy Builder (not even in Wizard).

What I am trying to do is compare Real Body (0) RB(0) to Real Body (1) RB(1)
e.g.:

If RB (0) > RB (1)
then...

Seems like I am doing it totally wrong way as keep getting errors.

Can anyone get me the start in Strategy Builder?

When nothing goes right... go left

Last Updated on November 16, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts