NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Al Brooks Trading Course (www.brookstradingcourse.com)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 27 posts (129 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 27 posts (137 thanks)
    3. looks_3 emini2000 with 25 posts (34 thanks)
    4. looks_4 IzhakHaim with 23 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 5.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SoftSoap with 3.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 JonnyBoy with 3.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 249,199 views
    2. thumb_up 1,106 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 472 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Al Brooks Trading Course (www.brookstradingcourse.com)

skoa 
Wolfsburg, Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Python
Broker: InteractiveBrokers
Trading: ALL the futures (and options)
Thanks Given: 353
Thanks Received: 53

londonkid View Post
Digging up an old post here but I also had a chuckle when you wrote about your 1.7 speed adjustment. I like Al's material but I find his voice hypnotic to the point where I find myself literally drifting off whilst listening. I would love to meet Al, he sounds very methodical and focussed. I can imagine him working in his previous career as an eye surgeon, if I was going to choose someone to operate on my eye it would be someone methodical, focussed and obsessed with details just the way Al clearly is. There is some really good stuff in his material I just cant stay awake even if I am primed with a triple espresso lol. no offence if you are reading Al, I genuinely like your stuff and approach and kudos for not being greedy with the price. I too had to tinker with the playback speed.....

The speed adjustment was a godsend! Maybe it's not a very nice thing to say but Al's voice tends to put me to sleep, even though I like his content and I have trouble not wandering off in my head when I have grasped a concept and the speaker is still explaining it, making me miss the next points the speaker makes. Speeding up to x1.3 made it much easier for me to follow the material. It's still not overwhelming, because the modules are short enough so that there are many breaks.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

londonkid 
London, UK

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT, CQG, esignal, TWS
Trading: Futures, spot FX, Energy Spreads Prop Firm
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 61

skoa View Post
The speed adjustment was a godsend! Maybe it's not a very nice thing to say but Al's voice tends to put me to sleep, even though I like his content and I have trouble not wandering off in my head when I have grasped a concept and the speaker is still explaining it, making me miss the next points the speaker makes. Speeding up to x1.3 made it much easier for me to follow the material. It's still not overwhelming, because the modules are short enough so that there are many breaks.

haha. yes Al should make some tracks to cure insomnia. I think his material gives a good overview of price action. I don't use his material for entries but found it useful.

TorontoTrader 
Toronto, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TWS
Broker: IB
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 63
Thanks Received: 6

How would you compare his method/technique with PAT's price action.

RichardHK 
Hong Kong

Platform: NinjaTrader, TWS
Broker: IB/Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 132
Thanks Received: 340

TorontoTrader View Post
How would you compare his method/technique with PAT's price action.

Mack's base methods are covered in Al's course as (1) Major Trend Reversal (MTR) - breaking trendline, new high/low and then reversal, (2) Trading Range Reversals - fading the range, (3) Pullbacks - H2/L2 pullbacks in trend plus 2EL/2eS, and (4) Breakouts - breakout pullbacks only.

Al's 'Best Trades' course module covers the basics of Mack's method with further in-depth modules on each topic. Al then has many more setup and PA info on wedges, breakouts, etc, that Mack talks about but does not promote as they are more advanced techniques. Mack wants to keep it simple for those starting out, and as he covers 4 out of 4 of Al's 'Best Trades' he certainly achieves that. The more advanced topics that Mack will often mention (traps, strong/tight channels, strong breakouts, etc) are all covered by Al and more given the depth of Al's course and methodology.

So all depends on your needs.

Richard
Hong Kong
Thanked by:

TorontoTrader 
Toronto, Canada

Platform: TWS
Broker: IB
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 63
Thanks Received: 6

I am just wondering if its better to take Steve Nison's course on Candlesticks before taking Al Books or PAT price action course?

ness1g 
boston ma

Platform: ninja
Trading: futures, stocks
Thanks Given: 384
Thanks Received: 158

TorontoTrader View Post
I am just wondering if its better to take Steve Nison's course on Candlesticks before taking Al Books or PAT price action course?

They are different approaches, Nison's is easier to learn but I don't know what kind of actual trading he does.
Brooks is an exceptional trader but his method was harder to learn.
My 2 cents.

Thanked by:

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

TorontoTrader View Post

they all have plenty of free stuff floating around. Take your time to really learn about them then you can make an informed decision.

Thanked by:

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

TorontoTrader View Post

I thought Al Brooks video course was very comprehensive, I don't think you would need a primer before starting it. I couldn't comment on his books, having only done his video course. It was a good 55+ hours, and I have re-watched many since.

Thanked by:
 hobart 
charlotte nc

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, TOS, Tradestation, NinjaTrader
Trading: energy
Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 172

i have al's books and videos and have watched 100s of mack's pat videos. Al's books are very difficult, and is not recommended, even by him lol. Al recommends (and i strongly agree) that the videos are much better than the books. There is no prework that needs to be done. In fact, i ripped the videos to MP3, and listen to them like a podcast/audiobook. Mack uses a very specific scalping approach on es, whereas half of the charts Al shows are daily or weekly charts, not 5min. I am a big fan of macks approach to price action, and it is 100% based on Al's approach. mack gives so much of his stuff away free, that you could really get away with getting hundreds of hours of content without paying a nickle. but it will be focused on techniques for scalping ES only.

When my friends come and ask me to teach them how to be a daytrader, i point them to Al's videos and tell them to come back after they have watched it 3 times.

mangolassi
Boston, MA

Thanks Given: 61
Thanks Received: 126

hobart View Post
i have al's books and videos and have watched 100s of mack's pat videos. Al's books are very difficult, and is not recommended, even by him lol. Al recommends (and i strongly agree) that the videos are much better than the books. There is no prework that needs to be done. In fact, i ripped the videos to MP3, and listen to them like a podcast/audiobook. Mack uses a very specific scalping approach on es, whereas half of the charts Al shows are daily or weekly charts, not 5min. I am a big fan of macks approach to price action, and it is 100% based on Al's approach. mack gives so much of his stuff away free, that you could really get away with getting hundreds of hours of content without paying a nickle. but it will be focused on techniques for scalping ES only.

When my friends come and ask me to teach them how to be a daytrader, i point them to Al's videos and tell them to come back after they have watched it 3 times.

I agree that the books are difficult. However, the videos are a great way to start learning Al's approach. It all depends on learning style and the kinds of studying tactics you employ. Coming from a medical/science background, I think I understand his writing style and it is possible to absorb a lot from his books with the proper approach. To me, it's not any more difficult to understand than a medical physiology textbook. It requires organization through note-taking to really benefit. You can't simply read through it 10 times and hope to learn what he's talking about.

Though the video course is excellent, I don't think that it is as detailed, as they are more simplified and to-the-point. The book has way more interesting material, and goes beyond what the videos illustrate. I recommend the videos as a primer for the textbooks, and thorough note-taking should be utilized for the books. Perhaps reading them once front-to-back quickly to get a feel for the organization, and then reading them a second time in order to take full-blown notes.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 2, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts