NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

RodS ZN trades using Sharkys "power of 7" DMA paint

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one RodS with 11 posts (15 thanks)
    2. looks_two zeller4 with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jimbob42 with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Neal with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 7,637 views
    2. thumb_up 15 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 23 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

RodS ZN trades using Sharkys "power of 7" DMA paint

RodS 
Indy

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus/Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E,TF,YM,NQ
Thanks Given: 435
Thanks Received: 66

Kirk,
yea I set mine up manually based on his video. I saved the fib settings as the default settings. I am not sure what time to set these up for in ZN though. I saw where the open may be at 8:20 EST but I am not sure.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
 hockeystar 
Calgary

Trading: TF, 6E
Thanks Given: 552
Thanks Received: 166

Hi Rod,

Going to bump an old thread that I think has some very good advice in it. Just wondering if you are still trading this method and if you could share with us how you are trading now? Thanks for starting this thread and thanks in advance for any future advice.

RodS 
Indy

Broker: Mirus/Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E,TF,YM,NQ
Thanks Given: 435
Thanks Received: 66

Hi Allen,

Wow has it been almost two years since this thread!!! You had to do some digging to find this.

No I am not using those charts anymore. I was a very new trader when this was originally posted and even though the logic was sound... I was not mentally or psychologically ready to trade that way with real $$$. As most traders know when it gets choppy it will eat up your account very quickly. That wasn't the only reason I wasn't using it though.....I was way too distracted looking for the "Grail" on this forum. Wow there were just too many new ideas too play with.

I know when I joined I was looking for the answers to successful trading. I had just funded an acct and joined an unnamed trading room......anyone want to guess what happens next......how fast did that money go out of my acct and into someone else acct...yea I was dead money. But I knew if I stuck with it I would get it.... so two years later this is how I am trading now.

I am still trading ZN, 10yr notes, but I have added ZB, 30yr bonds, and ZF 5 yr notes. to my charts. I use 5 min. and 15 min charts.
Here is a shot of my 5 min chart:

The indicators are
EMA 3 period with 3 displacement
StepMaV71Sharky with default settings
anaCurrentdayOHLV32 with fibs turned off and high and low set to transparent. I just use the open and mid.
Pivots daily
I set my session manager to the bonds & notes pit open and close@ 8:20 am EST and 3:00 pm EST respectively.

My 15 minute chart have the same indicators but I have the three instruments as separate charts.

Here is the screen shot of one.

I have added to the 15 min:
ATR trailing stop with default settings for trend and trend changes
Gordo's AaMACD with default setting ( I am not smart enough to know what to change them to anyway )
You could use different oscillators if you like.... I just like the way Gordos works for me.

Here is how I trade my charts.

My simple setup for longs
5 minute chart:
Price on all three instruments above the PP
Price on all three instruments above their respective pit opens
Price on all three instruments above the StepMa ...actually the last instrument to cross above and close above the StepMa is the entry

15 min
confirmation of uptrend with AaMACD
Price above ATR trailing stop.

I enter with three contracts on the last instrument that closes and meets the criteria. Depending on the different instrument is how my targets are set:
ZB
1st target @ 2ticks once filled the other two contracts are moved to BE
2nd target @ 5 ticks
3rd contract is runner with either R1, R2 or R3 as targets or until it closes below StepMa

ZN 4 ticks, 6 ticks, runner
ZF 6 ticks, 10 ticks, runner

Example long

Shorts will be just the opposite ...of course

Example short:

These are just some simple rules to what I am trading now. There are many different scenerios that occur and make this more discretionary trading. As I come up with different scenerios I will try and post how I traded it!

Sorry I am not the best in writing these things and I am sure there are questions and I will try and explain as best as possible.

Thanks for reading!

Rod

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 hockeystar 
Calgary

Trading: TF, 6E
Thanks Given: 552
Thanks Received: 166

RodS View Post
Hi Allen,

Wow has it been almost two years since this thread!!! You had to do some digging to find this.

No I am not using those charts anymore. I was a very new trader when this was originally posted and even though the logic was sound... I was not mentally or psychologically ready to trade that way with real $$$. As most traders know when it gets choppy it will eat up your account very quickly. That wasn't the only reason I wasn't using it though.....I was way too distracted looking for the "Grail" on this forum. Wow there were just too many new ideas too play with.

I know when I joined I was looking for the answers to successful trading. I had just funded an acct and joined an unnamed trading room......anyone want to guess what happens next......how fast did that money go out of my acct and into someone else acct...yea I was dead money. But I knew if I stuck with it I would get it.... so two years later this is how I am trading now.

I am still trading ZN, 10yr notes, but I have added ZB, 30yr bonds, and ZF 5 yr notes. to my charts. I use 5 min. and 15 min charts.
Here is a shot of my 5 min chart:

Attachment 39164

The indicators are
EMA 3 period with 3 displacement
StepMaV71Sharky with default settings
anaCurrentdayOHLV32 with fibs turned off and high and low set to transparent. I just use the open and mid.
Pivots daily
I set my session manager to the bonds & notes pit open and close@ 8:20 am EST and 3:00 pm EST respectively.

My 15 minute chart have the same indicators but I have the three instruments as separate charts.

Here is the screen shot of one.

Attachment 39168

I have added to the 15 min:
ATR trailing stop with default settings for trend and trend changes
Gordo's AaMACD with default setting ( I am not smart enough to know what to change them to anyway )
You could use different oscillators if you like.... I just like the way Gordos works for me.

Here is how I trade my charts.

My simple setup for longs
5 minute chart:
Price on all three instruments above the PP
Price on all three instruments above their respective pit opens
Price on all three instruments above the StepMa ...actually the last instrument to cross above and close above the StepMa is the entry

15 min
confirmation of uptrend with AaMACD
Price above ATR trailing stop.

I enter with three contracts on the last instrument that closes and meets the criteria. Depending on the different instrument is how my targets are set:
ZB
1st target @ 2ticks once filled the other two contracts are moved to BE
2nd target @ 5 ticks
3rd contract is runner with either R1, R2 or R3 as targets or until it closes below StepMa

ZN 4 ticks, 6 ticks, runner
ZF 6 ticks, 10 ticks, runner

Example long
Attachment 39179

Shorts will be just the opposite ...of course

Example short:
Attachment 39181

These are just some simple rules to what I am trading now. There are many different scenerios that occur and make this more discretionary trading. As I come up with different scenerios I will try and post how I traded it!

Sorry I am not the best in writing these things and I am sure there are questions and I will try and explain as best as possible.

Thanks for reading!

Rod

Hi Rod,

Your method of using a DMA of 7 seems solid-- and it was the way Sharky traded wasnt it-- looking for the trends on the higher time frame and trading the trend with the shorter?

Anyways, thanks for sharing your method- I'm going to incororate some of what you do as well-- I'll report back in a week.

Is there a reason you chose the treasury notes over say the CL or 6e?

Thanks!

Last Updated on May 29, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts