NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why do you use MultiCharts?

Discussion in MultiCharts

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one arnie with 6 posts (13 thanks)
    2. looks_two Coast with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 boundless with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one swz168 with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two furytrader with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 arnie with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 30,523 views
    2. thumb_up 51 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 36 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Why do you use MultiCharts?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,220
Thanks Received: 101,610

Hi guys,

As part of my research for the upcoming " Where to start as a trader (Part II: Trading Platforms)" webinar, I want to solicit input from members about the platforms they use.

If you could give me some information I would appreciate it.

1) How long have you been using MultiCharts?
2) What are your favorite features of MultiCharts?
3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in MultiCharts that you could not do without?
4) Do you use MultiCharts in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?
5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does MultiCharts help you with this?
6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use MultiCharts?
7) How do you rate MultiCharts's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?
8) Do you believe MultiCharts is competitively priced?
9) How do you rate the community support that exists for MultiCharts?

Even if someone before you has said something similar to how you feel, please reply anyway. I am gauging response by popularity so need to hear from multiple people even with similar feelings.

If you have any other thoughts to add please do so. Let's try to keep the thread on-topic, focusing on why you use the platform and leave all other discussion to other more appropriate threads.

Thank you,
Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
26 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
20 thanks

arnie 
Europe

Platform: Jigsaw
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: Equities
Thanks Given: 763
Thanks Received: 1,048

1) How long have you been using MultiCharts?

4 or 5 years, can't remember exactly. It was love at first sight.

2) What are your favorite features of MultiCharts?

Everything. Started with the charts themselves, than the programming, than the manual trading capabilities and DOM and now I'm waiting for the volume profile, cumulative delta, footprint charts, T&S, that are already promised. Basically the best platform ever.

3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in MultiCharts that you could not do without?

DOM, the perfect integration with IB. All works seamlessly.

4) Do you use MultiCharts in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?

It's not only my chart platform but also my trading platform. I do trade live with it.

5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does MultiCharts help you with this?

I'm a discretionary trader. A platform such as Multicharts is primarily directed to algorithmic traders due to it's program language that allow us to code all sort of algos but personally with its manual trading capabilities, through the DOM and the chart itself, Multicharts is now able to play both sides.

6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use MultiCharts?

Very easy. I worked with Tradestation a couple of months and that allowed me to get used to Multicharts quite fast.

7) How do you rate MultiCharts's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?

Very good. Their live chat is really good in detecting problems and helping us when we have some bad configuration. Priceless. Their forum is also a very useful way to search for help but I confess that sometimes things could be a bit better on that end.

8) Do you believe MultiCharts is competitively priced?

As far as I know, they charge what has been considered the standard, between $1000 and $1500.

9) How do you rate the community support that exists for MultiCharts?
Most people on the forum are ready to help you. MC staff is also there, answering questions from users.

If I become half a percent smarter each year, I'll be a genius by the time I die
 Coast 
Vancouver, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: iTrade Nexa
Trading: SLW

That was very interesting arnie. I am looking at buying charting software. I trade SLW on NY ( silver stock). I currently use NetDania free Netstation and Chartstation on two monitors showing silver, gold, EURUSD, USDCAN, USD, etc. Then I have four monitors showing SLW using esignal Live charts in full screen. This costs me only $65 a month. And I have my broker platform, which is my bank supplied order entry screen, which costs me only commission. I have six monitors total so far.

I used Multicharts briefly some time ago and liked the charts very much. Or rather I used RT Investor. At that time I thought I was going to get into market profile trading. But I have now settled on price action trading. Focusing on support and resistance. So I look at charts. Lots of them. 24 - 7. Well, not so many actually. But I'm searching for that ultimate configuration that'll give me an overall picture and fine detail at the same time.

I like dividing the monitor into four charts in pairs of instruments in two time frames or one instrument in four time frames. And I'm looking for a charting software that is well suited to being spread over several monitors. Would you rate Multicharts high in these two capabilities? Multicharts certainly accepts a lot of data feeds. But what's this about Owndata and purchasing that for another $500?

Wait a minute now. I'm confused. Multicharts is different than Investor RT. That's MarketDelta. Now I can't remember if I looked at Multicharts or not. I'm sure I had that icon up on my desk for a while.

Thanks
Coast

arnie 
Europe

Coast View Post
That was very interesting arnie. I am looking at buying charting software. I trade SLW on NY ( silver stock). I currently use NetDania free Netstation and Chartstation on two monitors showing silver, gold, EURUSD, USDCAN, USD, etc. Then I have four monitors showing SLW using esignal Live charts in full screen. This costs me only $65 a month. And I have my broker platform, which is my bank supplied order entry screen, which costs me only commission. I have six monitors total so far.

I used Multicharts briefly some time ago and liked the charts very much. Or rather I used RT Investor. At that time I thought I was going to get into market profile trading. But I have now settled on price action trading. Focusing on support and resistance. So I look at charts. Lots of them. 24 - 7. Well, not so many actually. But I'm searching for that ultimate configuration that'll give me an overall picture and fine detail at the same time.

I like dividing the monitor into four charts in pairs of instruments in two time frames or one instrument in four time frames. And I'm looking for a charting software that is well suited to being spread over several monitors. Would you rate Multicharts high in these two capabilities? Multicharts certainly accepts a lot of data feeds. But what's this about Owndata and purchasing that for another $500?

Wait a minute now. I'm confused. Multicharts is different than Investor RT. That's MarketDelta. Now I can't remember if I looked at Multicharts or not. I'm sure I had that icon up on my desk for a while.

Thanks
Coast

Multicharts has no problem when used on multiple monitors.
You're able to detach chart windows and span them on every monitor you want.

Regarding OwnData you need to check that with them. I have no idea how that work.

Multicharts and MarketDelta are 2 different platforms.

If I become half a percent smarter each year, I'll be a genius by the time I die
Thanked by:
 Coast 
Vancouver, Canada

arnie View Post
Multicharts has no problem when used on multiple monitors.
You're able to detach chart windows and span them on every monitor you want.

Thanks for the reply. How about the ability to specifically put four charts configured in one window or tab on one monitor, and four charts configured in another window or tab on another monitor, and so on?

As opposed to a single chart on each monitor and as opposed to having to place four different detached charts in each monitor manually.

arnie 
Europe

Coast View Post
Thanks for the reply. How about the ability to specifically put four charts configured in one window or tab on one monitor, and four charts configured in another window or tab on another monitor, and so on?

As opposed to a single chart on each monitor and as opposed to having to place four different detached charts in each monitor manually.

You can have as many charts you want per monitor.
You can create a workspace and have in it 4 charts on each monitor. You can than create another workspace and have another 4 charts on each monitor. Then you tab between workspaces which will change the charts on each monitor accordingly.

You will always need to manually set the chart sizes on each monitor.
There's a software that handles windows in an automatic way, maybe that is what you are looking for:
Actual Tools - Tools for Professionals

You can even make the chart window "sticky" so it is always "in front" (visible) of every single window.

Thanked by:
 Coast 
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks arnie. I'll definitely check it out.

Bimi
London

Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 58

You can also run multiple instance of MultiCharts in the same computer.

e.g.
You can assign one instance to a screen,
you can have separate controls of all the charts/workspaces in that screen.

Coast 
Vancouver, Canada

Bimi View Post
You can also run multiple instance of MultiCharts in the same computer.

e.g.
You can assign one instance to a screen,
you can have separate controls of all the charts/workspaces in that screen.

Right, that definitely sounds like a good capability that multiplies already good capabilities. Thanks.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,220
Thanks Received: 101,610

Big Mike View Post
Let's try to keep the thread on-topic, focusing on why you use the platform and leave all other discussion to other more appropriate threads.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 11, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts