NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why do you use TradeStation?

Discussion in TradeStation

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two SunTrader with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 vmodus with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xbfut with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one StratOpt with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 maggtrading with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 FastBull32 with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 33,878 views
    2. thumb_up 70 thanks given
    3. group 30 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Why do you use TradeStation?

SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 182

SMCJB View Post
I've actually been amazed at how inconsistent their data is. I'm not a big tradestation user and I have personally discovered 3 instances of bad data! When you report bad data, it quietly gets corrected behind the scenes which is probably why people have so many problems recreating some of their old backtests.

Disagree completely. 15+ years experience with them. Leave it at that.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,357

SunTrader View Post
Disagree completely. 15+ years experience with them. Leave it at that.

@SunTrader - Are you using futures data? I've been with Tradestation over 15 years too, and I 100% agree with @SMCJB

Here are the e-mails I've sent to Data Integrity in just the past year for data mistakes, etc. - usually with continuous contracts they create. This year has been about average for mistakes/issues I've seen.

I'm not saying their data is better/worse than any other data vendor, but they do have mistakes in their data.

To their credit, they typically correct errors I sent them fairly quickly.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

kevinkdog View Post
@SunTrader - Are you using futures data? I've been with Tradestation over 15 years too, and I 100% agree with @SMCJB

Here are the e-mails I've sent to Data Integrity in just the past year for data mistakes, etc. - usually with continuous contracts they create. This year has been about average for mistakes/issues I've seen.

I'm not saying their data is better/worse than any other data vendor, but they do have mistakes in their data.

Yes futures and yes that is my experience as well.
They have mistakes, like all others that provide data, but they do correct them.

Also back testing is not as strong a requirement for me as platform/analysis/coding itself.

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,012

SMCJB View Post
That's really interesting. So Tradestation is basically popular in the US but in the rest of the world metatrader is more popular!

Slightly old post so sorry to bring it back but honestly part of the problem is that Trade station is virtually unheard of in my country and I do think it is case for most countries outside maybe EU. There are multitude of reasons for this so I'll just note some,
1. Our regions are ruled by discount brokers, they have their own set of cheap tool, usually webstation of some kind and 100's of indicators. So you will not easily find someone willing to buy data and platform seperatly.
2. Generally Amibroker and Ninja trader (maybe sometimes spider and falcon) are considered to be the serious traders tool and that too only if you are using MP/OFA and program your own things, otherwise you will not find even seasoned traders on any dedicated platforms.
3. There is also rise of ppl providing their own platforms grown locally, who target specific users which are attracted by either some trading course, again discount brokerage house or some kind of grope or community somewhere where these ppl have been part for long period of times.

Basically, tradestation has kind of ignored rest of the world and rest of the world has also done the same to it.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,386
Thanks Received: 10,206

SunTrader View Post
Yes futures and yes that is my experience as well.
They have mistakes, like all others that provide data, but they do correct them.

They correct the easy ones! Here's one for you. Reported in Jan'18... followed up twice since... still broken...
Plot @ED=299XC+HMUZ on a daily chart!
@ED is probably the most liquid futures contract in the world, it averaged 2.3M contracts/day in September with a notional of $2.3B/day (S&P500/ES was 1.76M and $0.25B/day. This isn't an issue of illiquid contracts with no prices!

Thanked by:

Adolpho911 
Amsterdam + Netherland

Experience: Advanced
Platform: EdgeProX!!
Broker: Edgeclear and Rithmic. (Nordnet 1 year more for Norwegian stocks)
Trading: ES, NQ, GC, CL (Maybe Dax if I bother to get euro data, probably dont need more.) futures only
Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 27

I have been looking for an American broker or someone in Europe that can sell me ETF. I failed to peace that I couldn't trade those. However, via IB, I can do options on ETF.

Yesterday a guy from Tradestation called and said I could trade ETF, and with very low commissions. Like 5 dollar max for a lot (or a basis fee 5 dollar, then 0.65 options contract, and futures (emini I think was discussed as this is the future I trade..1,50+ exchange fees. Also said platform and data were free.

I was kinda wondering if there was a scam. Now I can't find anything (except GO and Select accounts is for US resident only. But there are other account types for a non-professional retail trader?

(I asked lif he was sure and he said he was busy and didn't lie! When referring to IB and that they could not trade ETFs (and other brokers) He was saying he had no clue regarding other platforms and how they did things. >They were TradeStation!'

Can someone in the EU confirm or am I being set up?

Adolpho911
"Faith does not always let you fix the tuition fee; she delivers the educational wallop and sets her own bill" Jesse Livermore
"I am not curious when I know everything" Adolpho911
SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Adolpho911 View Post
I have been looking for an American broker or someone in Europe that can sell me ETF. I failed to peace that I couldn't trade those. However, via IB, I can do options on ETF.

Yesterday a guy from Tradestation called and said I could trade ETF, and with very low commissions. Like 5 dollar max for a lot (or a basis fee 5 dollar, then 0.65 options contract, and futures (emini I think was discussed as this is the future I trade..1,50+ exchange fees. Also said platform and data were free.

I was kinda wondering if there was a scam. Now I can't find anything (except GO and Select accounts is for US resident only. But there are other account types for a non-professional retail trader?

(I asked lif he was sure and he said he was busy and didn't lie! When referring to IB and that they could not trade ETFs (and other brokers) He was saying he had no clue regarding other platforms and how they did things. >They were TradeStation!'

I am here in the U.S. so I cannot confirm one way or the other but I would ask for linked webpage to confirm what they offer to EU accounts.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,357

Adolpho911 View Post

Sending you a PM with my account reps name at Tradestation. He will give you the true story.

Thanked by:
lettuce
San Francisco, California

Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 8

kevinkdog View Post

My two cents here...
I have used Tradestation since 2013 and have not experienced data issues as far as I can remember. Just recently, I started using Tradestation concurrently with Sierra Chart w/ CQG data and both are equally reliable.
My only gripe is that during fast moves Tradestation lags a bit. I mostly trade NQ and have noticed data lag and slippages during fast moves.

Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

lettuce View Post
My two cents here...
I have used Tradestation since 2013 and have not experienced data issues as far as I can remember. Just recently, I started using Tradestation concurrently with Sierra Chart w/ CQG data and both are equally reliable.
My only gripe is that during fast moves Tradestation lags a bit. I mostly trade NQ and have noticed data lag and slippages during fast moves.

Thanks for the feedback. I use both (Sierra for analysis, TS for trading/automation), but one TS strategy I have is tuned to fast turns in the market. Not quite HFT millisecond speed, but sensitive enough to possibly cause some excess slippage. By coincidence, I happened across a SC document just a few minutes ago on my PC and has good information about automation. I have a funny feeling I had my assistant put it together from their documentation. I am hoping to migrate over at some point in the future.

~vmodus

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 3, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts