NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why do you use TradeStation?

Discussion in TradeStation

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two SunTrader with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 vmodus with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xbfut with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one StratOpt with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 maggtrading with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 FastBull32 with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 33,878 views
    2. thumb_up 70 thanks given
    3. group 30 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Why do you use TradeStation?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,212
Thanks Received: 101,599

Hi guys,

As part of my research for the upcoming " Where to start as a trader (Part II: Trading Platforms)" webinar, I want to solicit input from members about the platforms they use.

If you could give me some information I would appreciate it.

1) How long have you been using TradeStation?
2) What are your favorite features of TradeStation?
3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in TradeStation that you could not do without?
4) Do you use TradeStation in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?
5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does TradeStation help you with this?
6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use TradeStation?
7) How do you rate TradeStation's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?
8) Do you believe TradeStation is competitively priced?
9) How do you rate the community support that exists for TradeStation?

Even if someone before you has said something similar to how you feel, please reply anyway. I am gauging response by popularity so need to hear from multiple people even with similar feelings.

If you have any other thoughts to add please do so. Let's try to keep the thread on-topic, focusing on why you use the platform and leave all other discussion to other more appropriate threads.

Thank you,
Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
15 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks

kbit 
Aurora, Il USA

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 3,295
Thanks Received: 3,364

About 5 years

No favorite in particular

3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in TradeStation that you could not do without?

Kase bars

4) Do you use TradeStation in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?

Live only

5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does TradeStation help you with this?

Discretionary.

Not real hard but like anything else it took some time to get a full understanding, though I should mention there are a number of features I don't use

7) How do you rate TradeStation's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?

Support is good when they are there....they basically have bankers hours.

Pricing sucks, $99. platform fee unless you do 10 round trips a month PLUS data fees....a lot of the competition waives data fees.

That part is good for sure.

Just a last note: Tradestation has a lot of features and indicators that come with it and from what I see it's considerably more than a lot of others....the only spot it's really lacking is a decent MP tool and the CDV is pretty sketchy, it has something to do with the way they stream their data (my understanding) that makes those type indicators not all that accurate. Everything else is fine.

Thanked by:

cbritton 
Atlanta, Georgia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: DDT
Trading: ZN, ZB
Thanks Given: 152
Thanks Received: 256

4 years

Very customizable - I can take everything non-essential off and just focus on the charts.
EL - Makes for very fast coding of custom indicators/strategies/etc. so I can focus on what to do with it rather than how to code it

The matrix.

both.

discretionary

Somewhat easy. I make use of macros for custom toolbars to keep the essential items close at hand. I had to watch some tutorials on how to use macros.

I rate it as good. I once had a problem with the accounting department where they were in error. TradeStation apologized and gave me $200 in free trades to make up for it.

Yes

Excellent

One feature that I'm finding I want more and more is to do a market replay with the ability to enter and exit trades (sim of course). Add to that a fast way to export these trades so I can analyze them using a third party tool.

“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu
Thanked by:

ericbrown 
Tulsa, OK

Platform: Tradestation, TOS, Python
Broker: IQFeed, Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, SPY, Options
Thanks Given: 339
Thanks Received: 258

2 years

Charting, Easy of development.

Automation of strategies and ability to write custom indicators.

Both.

Both. I use TS for both discretionary trades and automated trades. Tradestation lets me build/test strategies for use as automated or discretionary entries. In addition, the new Portfolio Maestro platform is great.

It took a few days of poking and prodding with the software to really 'get' it but I eventually picked it up.

Top Notch. I've contacted them a few times and have always been extremely happy with their responses.

I would love to be able to buy a 'license' to move away from the monthly fees, but their current structure isn't terribly bad.

While the TS Community site isn't as active as it used to be, its still quite good. Its very easy to find Easylanguage help around the web as well as on other forums (like Big Mike's).

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 FastBull32 

4 months

Portfolio Maestro - that's the only reason I signed up with TS (previously with eSignal for a couple of years), to have portfolio-level testing.

Portfolio level testing, and the easylanguage is pretty easy.

just backtesting for now.

aglorithmic, when i start - just testing now. TS helps by having an easy programming language and Portfolio Maestro.

Easy. A few weeks of studying for easylanguage, even though i am not doing anything complicated.

I signed up for a free 3-month period and they charged me wrongly, I am still waiting for a credit.. So not too impressed for now.
Portfolio Maestro is a new product with some bugs, and asking for them to be fixed either goes unanswered, or 'we'll see'. I am not complaining too much, because I expected that.

I feel it's a bit pricier than others, but I am ok.

Pretty good, and busy.

lugopt 
Lisboa, Portugal

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation, NinjatTrader
Trading: ES, EURUSD
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 36

Since 2006.

The easy of use, the charts, the EasyLanguage, have information regarding indexes, stocks, futures and currencies in the same price table and charts, lots and lots of indicators, excellent community, easyness of backtesting a strategy.

The easyness of all platform is amazing and everything it's very fast and quick to do. I have 5 workspaces in each desktop and I change from workspace to workspace in a blink of an eye.
Furthermore the Matrix, the RadarScreen and the Scanner.

Both although I don't full time trade (yet).

I'm an discretionary trader but I based my entries and exits on trading systems I developed/adapted from others. In the future I may develop an algorithmic to do all the trades but there are some market conditions and variables that are hard to code them all. So I prefer to have my own decision based on each buy/sell signal from my trading systems.

It's very, very easy to learn to use TradeStation and also to program some basic indicators or strategies. I think TradeStation is the model platform most of other platforms base their developments and it's the best plaftorm every new trader should have. There are other more specific platforms for niches

I don't use often but whenever I needed it was quick and effective.

It is indeed. I have the platform for free and I just have to pay for data feed which basically is $20/mo for futures and $5/mo for S&P index, NYSE, NASDAQ and AMEX Real-time data. If you want to know how can you have the same price package, just PM me.

TradeStation forum has more than 600.000 posts. +90% of the times I have a question I don't need to post a new message I just have to search and I find the answer. Last time I had a question on EasyLanguage people from TS answered my question. So besides the user base community, we get people from TS on forum.

Thank you,

Thanked by:
toucan94506
danville ca usa

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 41

since 2004

ease of use, easylanguage, backtesting and automation

easylanguage, backtesting and automation

simulation for testing easylanguage coding and automation.... vs the old days of using real trades

live trading using discretionary inputs with automated trade management

discretionary trader for entries and automated trader for trade management

easy if you have used other trading systems, but hard for someone who doesn't have programming experience

they really need to do a better job explaining how their object oriented programming system works. They still use the "try it mikey, you will like it" and OOEL is much more complicated than easylanguage.

its ok but they have had their problems.... but probably not much different from other vendors

yes for trading software, trading fees and just recently changed to competitive for data feeds

the community has matured over the past 10 years so not as good as it was, but most questions can be answered thru the community forums.

cheers

toucan

FastBull32 

I noted my points above on why I was using Tradestation, but also see my brief comparison of TS and Multicharts, which now prompted me to move to Multicharts.

silver99 
Mineola, TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Dorman
Trading: CL & ES
Thanks Given: 3,649
Thanks Received: 4,206

1) How long have you been using TradeStation? 9 years

2) What are your favorite features of TradeStation? Backtesting / EasyLanguage

3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in TradeStation that you could not do without? automation

4) Do you use TradeStation in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?live trades

5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does TradeStation help you with this?100% systematic

6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use TradeStation?easy, engineering background

7) How do you rate TradeStation's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?I rate them very high, responsive and thorough

8) Do you believe TradeStation is competitively priced?yes, I have no complaints about pricing

9) How do you rate the community support that exists for TradeStation?very good, especially the TS strategy staff

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
karoshiman
Munich, Germany

Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 117

1) How long have you been using TradeStation? approx. 1.5 years
2) What are your favorite features of TradeStation? ease of use (wanted to try the NT free trial once, but found the software not very intuitive)
3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in TradeStation that you could not do without? the parts of the software I use are not that special to TS, I guess
4) Do you use TradeStation in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it? live
5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does TradeStation help you with this? discretionary
6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use TradeStation? easy
7) How do you rate TradeStation's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it? good
8) Do you believe TradeStation is competitively priced? probably a bit expensive
9) How do you rate the community support that exists for TradeStation? good

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 3, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts