NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why do you use Sierra Chart?

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Japhro with 6 posts (10 thanks)
    2. looks_two puma with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mattz with 5 posts (17 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Oysteryx with 5 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kroz with 13 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ninjus with 11 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 8.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mattz with 3.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 90,388 views
    2. thumb_up 230 thanks given
    3. group 79 followers
    1. forum 111 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Why do you use Sierra Chart?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,207
Thanks Received: 101,599

Hi guys,

As part of my research for the upcoming " Where to start as a trader (Part II: Trading Platforms)" webinar, I want to solicit input from members about the platforms they use.

If you could give me some information I would appreciate it.

1) How long have you been using Sierra Chart?
2) What are your favorite features of Sierra Chart?
3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in Sierra Chart that you could not do without?
4) Do you use Sierra Chart in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?
5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does Sierra Chart help you with this?
6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use Sierra Chart?
7) How do you rate Sierra Chart's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?
8) Do you believe Sierra Chart is competitively priced?
9) How do you rate the community support that exists for Sierra Chart?

Even if someone before you has said something similar to how you feel, please reply anyway. I am gauging response by popularity so need to hear from multiple people even with similar feelings.

If you have any other thoughts to add please do so. Let's try to keep the thread on-topic, focusing on why you use the platform and leave all other discussion to other more appropriate threads.

Thank you,
Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks
 IMSTrading 
guildford, UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: E Mini S&P
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 49

1 year

Its flexibility, its low cpu and memory usage - means I can run multiple copies on one PC.

3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in Sierra Chart that you could not do without?
I just dont know any other trading program that allows you to configure so many components. I particularly like the chart based trading tool.

4) Do you use Sierra Chart in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?
Sim and live

5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does Sierra Chart help you with this?
Discretionary. Sierra hasnt helped me in trading in a way that I can easily articulate, but I would say that I would never trade without it.

Its not particularly intuiitive and the software design standards are very poor but once you spend some time looking at the menus and help videos you realise just how powerful it is.

7) How do you rate Sierra Chart's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?
I have never needed to use it! Which reminds me that I have never had a problem with Sierra freezing or crashing in the whole time I have used it.

Extremely and with some brokers you can get it for free.

I havent really had a need to use it so cant really comment.

Hope that helps

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Jolew 
San Jose, CA

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: IB
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 54
Thanks Received: 97

3-1/2 yrs

Overall flexibility. It is very easy to quickly prototype most kinds of indicators and alerts without any programming and then be able to follow up with the programming if desired.

Reliability. I don't need much to trade, but I cannot tolerate downtime.

Live trades

Discretionary. See #2 and 3. There are a lot of nice features, but it all boils down to reliability and flexibility for me.

Easy, but there is a lot of depth, so learning new features and tips/tricks is an ongoing process.

Excellent. Very knowledgeable as they are the programmers and can often make decisions on features immediately. Some of the turnaround on new features has been amazing and the platform has evolved a great deal in the time I have been using it.

Yes.

Good, but this isn't really an important factor for me.

If you have any other thoughts to add please do so.
Great platform if you like to dig in, explore and learn. Probably not as much for those that want a lot of help and individual attention. As frustrating as trading can be, it is nice to at least have a trading platform that is a pleasure to work with everyday.

Thanked by:
 manualtrader 
California

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 266
Thanks Received: 96

10 months
ChartDOM - one click can enter limit order or stop order. Some may argue that other platform DOM can do the same, NO. For example, if you want to enter a stop order 1 tick above previous bar high, in SC, your put cross hair 1 tick above the bar and click, done; if you use other platform, you have to find the high price of last bar in chart, and then look for the price in DOM, if market moves fast, you will miss the entry.
ChartDOM
Live
Discretionary trader, enter order quickly.
It is hard at the beginning, but once you get used to, you will never go back to other platform.
Service is great! Some may argue that SC needs to learn to please customers. SC service people are programmers, they know what they are talking about, if you request a feature, they think this would improve the platform, they do it very quickly, some can be done in couple of days with new release. In other platforms, they will forward your request to develop team, and you may not have that done in 2 years or forever. SC never responses like other platforms "Thank you very much for contacting ......," but they provide solutions quickly.
Price is very good.
Great community support too.

Thanked by:
 Sawtooth 
Prescott AZ USA

Platform: SierraChart
Broker: Stage5, FCM:Dorman, Data:Denali, Routing:Teton
Trading: YM ES NQ
Thanks Given: 219
Thanks Received: 603

-I started using Sierra in Nov 2008, so that's 4 years. (But I used Ninja for about a year in between)

-I'm a chart trader and I love the ChartDOM, a Sierra exclusive.
-You can run multiple instances on up to two computers, with one license.

-Spreadsheet studies. You can use them for simple things like coloring and alerts, or for complex autotrading systems.

-Both. I use the ChartDOM.

-I'm a discretionary trader. Sierra is very configurable and flexible. You can make it do what you want and look how you like almost all of the time without programming.

-It's no more difficult to learn than other charting feature-rich programs. IMO the menu tree is not intuitive but after a while you remember where everything is.

-Sierra Support is very responsive. They will fix a bug quickly, sometimes within hours. They will implement suggestions quickly, if they deem them valuable. Support is handled only by engineers and primarily on their forum, and it is well moderated. They don't tolerate abuse, bad attitudes, repetitive posts, or any nonsense. They can be curt sometimes, but engineers are not known for being good at public relations.

-It's the best bargain out there! Feature-rich for much less. They have 3 packages: $19, $26, $45/mo, with discounts for purchasing multiple months. It's lease only; you cannot buy a lifetime license.

-It's not extensive, but growing. Approved user-contributed studies are integrated so you don't have to go find them on forums.

More comments:
I really like that Sierra is stable, and lean. It never crashes for me. It does not use the Windows Registry, so it is contained in one folder. Next year the main version will no longer require .NET so it will be even more stable.

slickiam 
Tomsk, Russia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: custom
Trading: gold
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 435

Hello.

1 year. I've migrated from Investor/RT.

- Open format for an intra-day db;
- ACSIL;
- The ability to run multiple instances;
- The volume studies;
- Look and Feel flexibility;
- Chart DOM;
- The ability to get rid of MS in the future.

Both. As well as for a semi-automatically analysis National Exchange w self-made adapter.

Both. SC is reliable and predictable.

Very easy.

Professional. Adequate. Pragmatic.

Yes.

Proportional to the client base.

gd lck

Scientia Libertas Prosperitas
Thanked by:

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, X_Trader Pro, OptionsCity
Broker: Advantage, Trading Technologies, OptionsCity, IQ Feed
Trading: CL, NG
Thanks Given: 1,713
Thanks Received: 3,863

Less than 1 year.

The Market Profile/Volume Profile tools are excellent. I really like the ability to overlay a study from one chart to another chart as well.

This again would be the Market Profile/Volume Profile/Numbers Bars (Footprint) tools.

I typically don't execute trades through Sierra. I use X_Trader for OE. I have made a few trades (live) with the Sierra DoM to see how it goes and it appeared to be fine.

Discretionary. Sierra helps by providing excellent charting and tools.

I had no problem adjusting to Sierra. Very user friendly but like all platforms, you just need to learn the ins and outs of everything.

They seem to be very responsive. The support forum is good. They can be a bit dry with some of their responses on the forum but considering the amount of requests they get, its understandable.

Absolutely. Priced way lower than their competitors. They appear to cater to the Market Profile/Volume Profile traders and the competing platforms are priced way higher. So yes, the most cost effective platform out there in this regard.

It appears to be great. There are some great user contributed work and Sierra has a custom studies section for user contributed studies.

shzhning 
Madison, NJ

Platform: CQG/TOS
Broker: Optimus/CQG
Trading: ZN/TN/ES/NQ
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 112

- On and Off. The most recent usage started 3 months ago.

- Run different copies even on same PC
- SIM trade as long as you wish
- Recently added step trail stop
- Extremely flexible

- The only independent platform for CTS T4 feed. If you trade with CTS but disappointed by CTS' lack of support for multiple targets, then SC is a must

- Live and SIM

- Discretionary

- Hard. So many features are buried inside deep

- Not the most friendly but get things done
- Responsive and fast to user suggestions and feedbacks

- A bargain

- Not sure on this one

Thanked by:
 FGBL07 
Oberhausen, Germany

Platform: Sierracharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers/DTN IQFeed
Trading: Bund Future
Thanks Given: 100
Thanks Received: 311

Three years by now.

I like the built-in Cumulative Delta Studies and the flexibility the Spreadsheet Studies offer.

The Spreadsheet features or an comparable easy-to-use language.

I use Sierra for charting only. Order management is done via ButtonTrader.

I'm a discretionary trader. The charts are nice and very flexible.

I have been using other platforms before, so getting started was no problem. But I think that learning how to fully exploit the features of any platform takes several months.

Responses are usually fast. Though indeed they are lacking in basic politeness and one of them is down right offensive.

I think it is too cheap ;-) Maybe one day they will understand this.

It's ok. There are some user supplied studies which are integrated into Sierra.

I think there are several areas where Sierra will have to improve:
  • Organization of charts and spreadsheets. Currently you have charts organized into chartbooks with spreadsheets dangling around somewhere. There is lacking a layer of layouts/pages whatever you call it.
  • They will have to merge trading capabilities into the pure charting instances of Sierra. Having to run a second copy causes some headaches in configuring it and is lacking in functionality.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

ktrader 
glostrup, denmark

Platform: Custom platform
Broker: CQG
Trading: Futures, Options, Stocks
Thanks Given: 152
Thanks Received: 275

almost 6 months
The speed is fast and memory usage low
DOM
Live trades
Discretionary. Sierra chart is good at charting and the dom and position management is great too.
Rather easy, the program seems to be well thought out and most things are logical and works as one would expect.
I used them once, and they were excellent.
Yes, at the current price its a good deal.
Did only look for community support here at futures.io (formerly BMT), and there seems to be not very many users here. that said it seems most questions about sierra are answered here - so here at futures.io (formerly BMT) the community support is good

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 1, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts