NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why Tick Charts instead of Time Based Charts? or other chart types

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Futures Operator with 6 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 6 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fadi with 5 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 5 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one trader000 with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 41,663 views
    2. thumb_up 46 thanks given
    3. group 30 followers
    1. forum 53 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

View Poll Results: What chart type do you usually use for your day trades?
Time based charts 66 29.07%
Time based charts
66 29.07%
Tick charts 93 40.97%
Tick charts
93 40.97%
Volume charts 28 12.33%
Volume charts
28 12.33%
Range charts 21 9.25%
Range charts
21 9.25%
Renko charts 19 8.37%
Renko charts
19 8.37%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Why Tick Charts instead of Time Based Charts? or other chart types

peaceland
Lomita, CA/USA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I'm still deciding. I have been looking at tick and second charts, but I also like PnF charts. PnF seem good for S/R, but not so great for seeing exactly where price is on entry (visually). Yes, you can see price, but the chart itself is not so exact when price is in a range of Xs o Os.

Not sure how to trade Range charts yet, or Volume - are there tutorials here on how to use those two?

Do Volume charts work in Forex? I just tried it in NT and the chart is doing very strange things, extending way off to the right...

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
41 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

kronie 
NYC + NY / USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: "I trade, therefore, I AM!"; Theme Song: "Atomic Dog!"
Trading: EMD, 6J, ZB

Zondor View Post
Tick Charts – 5 Compelling Reasons To Use Tick Charts

No endorsement of products sold on this site is meant to be implied.

I have been told, as most of us, if we're honest with ourselves, that others or "we", just don't want to hear another thing we have to say, and to that I say, simply, why not?

I used to really tag tick bars as almost worthless because they hid volume from being a factor,

rarely in those discussions, do they tell you that they make up for that by using another panel with some volume measurement to compensate for the obvious tick short-comings

perhaps with that being said, I vote Tick

the benefit really shows itself on low volume securities / contracts in the over night session, as not polluting the charts with so much blank space

Bri219
Altamonte Springs,FL

Thanks Given: 481
Thanks Received: 231

I use Tick or Volume based charts,I get a better feel of what price is doing.Occasionally I use the Daily chart to look at the bigger picture.

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,778
Thanks Received: 18,232

kronie View Post
I used to really tag tick bars as almost worthless because they hid volume from being a factor,

rarely in those discussions, do they tell you that they make up for that by using another panel with some volume measurement to compensate for the obvious tick short-comings

In a traditional constant-time-per-bar chart, a histogram at the bottom shows volume per period of time.

Well, in a variable-time-per-bar chart (tick, volume, etc), even though volume per bar is either identical or very similar, there is nothing to prevent a user from displaying the same volume per period of time value as can be shown on a regular chart (except perhaps having a study/indicator that calculates this value). I'm surprised more people who have tick-based chart don't have a volume per time value, as to me volume as a function of time is one of the most useful pieces of information to know.

shots fired
Boise, Idaho

Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 10

My reason for preferring tick charts over time charts is as follows. With tick charts I can easily find a trend during the overnight that will often be in play the whole next day. Whereas price charts (the 1 min for example) is spread out and doesn't show the concentrated form of a tick chart overnight and thus often doesnt show distinct trend lines

Fadi 
Luxembourg

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IB / Kinetick
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 667
Thanks Received: 648

shots fired View Post
My reason for preferring tick charts over time charts is as follows. With tick charts I can easily find a trend during the overnight that will often be in play the whole next day. Whereas price charts (the 1 min for example) is spread out and doesn't show the concentrated form of a tick chart overnight and thus often doesnt show distinct trend lines

But isn't a volume chart better for that?

Successful people will do what unsuccessful people won't or can't do!
Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
shots fired
Boise, Idaho

Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 10

Fadi View Post
But isn't a volume chart better for that?

I don't know I have never considered volume charts I will have to explore that option.

Bookworm 
Long Island, NY

Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, index options and futures/futures options
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 198

My ideal chart for day trding would combine types. Tick or volume to condense the data between 4:15 and 9:30 NY time and a good old 5 minute chart for RTH.

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, X_Trader Pro, OptionsCity
Broker: Advantage, Trading Technologies, OptionsCity, IQ Feed
Trading: CL, NG
Thanks Given: 1,713
Thanks Received: 3,863

When using the equivalent ratios, tick charts and volume charts provide a near mirror image of each other. There's really no difference in perspective. The underlying reason for each bar being formed is obviously different but upon visual reference they can be one in the same. Time based charts however will provide a different perspective.

For the charts below, guess which one is the volume bar chart and which one is the tick bar chart.

Chart #1

Chart #2

Thanked by:

peterg 
maui

Experience: Master
Platform: NT, TWS,TW
Broker: IB.AMP.CQG.DTN
Trading: Currency, Futures, Options
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 199

Zondor View Post
Tick Charts – 5 Compelling Reasons To Use Tick Charts

No endorsement of products sold on this site is meant to be implied.

Tick charts as a "proxy" for volume for forex which is traded on a decentralized networks is a ridiculous statement.

Tick charts..... in an algo world? Really where big orders are broken up into smaller orders to hide size.

Range charts for use with indicators is a good match. There's not a lot of distortion since the bars are as close to tape reading relative to price. It reveals nothing about volume per se unless integrated volume width candle scaling is available. Price is what you trade and range bars give you just that, nothing else pure tape price action.
There is fewer "candle type formations with range bars than with time based bars....but just as signifigant

Volume bars are good for volume/ price spread analysis, CD, VMP and represent the "mass" of the market. Its a major component but not as good as range bars are for indicator divergences etc, but ok.

Time based bars are good for forex where there are a lot of market opens and closes around the globe.
They also show point in time and momentum/acceleration surges; but as a result distort indicators.
Good for time/price target projection. The characteristic candle "formations" are many and directly relate to time.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 12, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts