NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

David_R's Trading Journey Journal (Pls comment)

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one David_R with 83 posts (124 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 29 posts (49 thanks)
    3. looks_3 rassi with 14 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 benharrell with 5 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two David_R with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 jagui with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 rassi with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 38,958 views
    2. thumb_up 227 thanks given
    3. group 23 followers
    1. forum 165 posts
    2. attach_file 74 attachments

Search this Thread

David_R's Trading Journey Journal (Pls comment)

benharrell 
Pittsburgh, Pa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: CL,ES,6E
Thanks Given: 350
Thanks Received: 96

Hi David,

Good point as it is your journal. I'll be sure to keep my comments and posts specific to your system and workspace.

As for the news, I use this website to keep a watchful eye on what's ahead for the day. Barron's Econoday - Barrons.com

I know there is an indicator/indicators floating around that also can assist w/ onscreen notifications and such--I'll dig around for you on this one. Someone might get to it before me as well...

One last question, are there any other set-ups that you look for at the moment, or do you have a catalog of set-ups that you look for? If so, I would love to hear/see them so that I can continue to keep an eye on a chart with your settings, etc. (i.e. do you look for 100 ZLB's for entry/exit on your higher time frames?)

Best,
Ben

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Something moving
Thanks Given: 2,335
Thanks Received: 2,524

Ben,

Even though it's my Journal you can post. I don't mind.

I do look for 100 line bounces for an entry. I try and use only a few setups so that I don't over trade, which is a problem for me. So I I can limit the setups to the 5034 (price crossing the 34 ema and 50 cci crossing 0) 5034Z (same as the 5034, but the 50 cci does a ZLR after crossing 0. Somes its just better to wait for this then entering on the 5034, but it depends on the amount of risk), the 5014 (50cci on the right side of 0 and the 14 crossing 0) and the 100 line bounces. In conjunction I may use and trend line break on the CCI.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

rassi 
the congo

Experience: Advanced
Platform: North sea oil rig
Trading: Cl
Thanks Given: 1,563
Thanks Received: 1,199

This looks good David, I have looked at this on min charts and it gives rather slow entries however on volume its much better. Are you incorporating fibs at all as I consider those to be the strongest aspect of Marks setup?

Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Here is a chart from today on the ES. I'm not a fan of the ES at all, but i saw this set up and I had a couple losers in CL. Today in CL I get an F because it was sideways and i traded it anyways. I got stopped out on the first trade and of course entered another that was up about 8-10 tics, but reversed and stopped me out again. This ES helped me to make the day not as large of a loser, but putting P and L aside I'm not happy with how I traded this. I traded 12 contracts and took 6 off at 3 tics which is okay. I'm only looking for a small amount on the first half. From that point on my management was aweful. I didn't have a good plan as to where i wanted to exit. Price went in my favor about 5 tics and came back and I took off 3 more for 3 tics. I tell myself to hold for 6 tics for the next 1/4 which is ultimately hit. Once up 6 tics i moved stop to B/E which is when I start to relax. I took off 2 at 1038 which was shy of the prior swing high of 1038.5 for 9 tics. I like to keep one contract just in the event there is a move and I trail fairly tightly. Last one closed at 1037.5 which was in conjunction with the 100 line cross. Overall I give myself a C for poor management of the trade.

I give myself a B+ for looking for a long because i was contemplating a short around the 1038 area where all the blue bars are. There is a high volume bar at around 11:33 AM and then high volume bars with narrow spreads. The trade would have worked in hindsight, but it is counter trend and none of the indicators are in alignment. The only thing there is some divergence on the CCI. It should still be and was a no trade. But....I did short after I was out of the long two contracts at 1037.50 because of the high volume bar at around 12:50. The last push higher was on low volume and with the high volume bar closing on the low i thought we may get a moved down for a quick point or so. It didn't bo anywhere and was about a 2 or 3 tic loss. It is counter trend and even though the 50 cci crossed the +100 it is not below 0 and the higher time frames are not in alignment. This last trade I give myself an F.

I did not post the CL charts because I am embarrassed to do so.

David

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	es 010710.png
Views:	332
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	6406  
Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

rassi View Post
This looks good David, I have looked at this on min charts and it gives rather slow entries however on volume its much better. Are you incorporating fibs at all as I consider those to be the strongest aspect of Marks setup?

Yes, I do look at Fibs. I like symmetry for staying in the trend and I also like to look at fib S/R on the higher time frame such as a 60 minute to enter on the lower time frame.

I've noticed that the volume charts look smoother, but there seems to be a lot more crosses of the 0 lines like today which is tough to deal with. I'm trying to decide if I stick with volume charts or not.

David

emini_Holy_Grail 
Dallas,TX

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, OpenQuant
Broker: Zaner/Zen Fire
Trading: ES,6E,6B,GC,CL
Thanks Given: 176
Thanks Received: 126

David_R
You mentioned 3min in line with higher TF, 9 or 15min. do you see both in same chart, 3min and 15min?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

David,

Throw embarrassment out the window. You need to do "something" with that chart so that you can learn from it and/or improve upon your actions. Posting in a public journal is one way to help minimize making the same mistake twice.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

emini_Holy_Grail View Post
David_R
You mentioned 3min in line with higher TF, 9 or 15min. do you see both in same chart, 3min and 15min?

No, they were off to the side. If I recall correctly they were in alignment. The program Fibonacci trader allows 3 time frames on one chart. You can put the indicators from a 15 minute directly on a 3 or 5 minute chart. Petty cool. Just and FYI.

D

Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Big Mike View Post
David,

Throw embarrassment out the window. You need to do "something" with that chart so that you can learn from it and/or improve upon your actions. Posting in a public journal is one way to help minimize making the same mistake twice.

Mike

Mike, thanks! I know you are right.

Today was worse then yesterday. If there were a grade below F I would give it to myself. I've been trying to create new habits such as following rules and my plan and today was just the opposite. Today is the kind of day that makes me think I'm not cut out for this business.

Thanked by:

benbrooke 
Dallas,tx

Platform: Market Delta
Broker: Velocity /TT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 216
Thanks Received: 490

David ,

i like you journal!

i can relate to you in what happen today , i graded my self today also as F i didnt have any trade setup today and i took without any plan

Dont give up!!

ban.

Last Updated on July 17, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts