NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Breakout Journal - a journey to full time trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 511 posts (1,170 thanks)
    2. looks_two xelaar with 21 posts (21 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 21 posts (24 thanks)
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 13 posts (44 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Silver Dragon with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 xelaar with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 105,901 views
    2. thumb_up 1,404 thanks given
    3. group 62 followers
    1. forum 660 posts
    2. attach_file 463 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Breakout Journal - a journey to full time trading

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio
Legendary Master Data Manipulator

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TastyWorks / NT
Broker: TastyWorks /NT
Trading: FX, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 6,422
Thanks Received: 5,238

TopStep Trader Update
I continue to make progress on my trading skills. If I could define levels in trading I would tell you I have leveled up over the past year. My mindset toward the combine has changed. Not really worried about passing the combine vs learning to trade; because once I learn to trade I will pass the combine.

The last combine I finished was the 150K. I deliberately took this one knowing I could not pass it because I wanted to trade within the combine setting without having to worry about hitting the loss limit or max dd. Doing this I was able to focus on just the trading aspect. I made real progress on my setups and taking the trades. The current combine I am in (50K) I will be focusing on breaking down the mental roadblocks.

For the most part I have stopped getting excited about good days or being upset about bad days unless I dont follow my rules in which case I have a mandatory one day off from trading. Looking back at my personal journal and my futures.io (formerly BMT) journal I can say I have grown as a trader over the past year. Below are excerpt's from my personal journal to contrast the difference 9 months can make:

Entry from 1/18/13

Quoting 
Where do i begin.. I dont know what I am doing. I had a horrible week trading. Right now I dont even want to trade. I have to get back to where I was a few weeks ago. I dont even know where that is at. Why am I failing??

Entry from 9/2/13

Quoting 
Started a new combine. The last combine was about being able to trade my setups without stress in a combine setting. I purposely took the largest combine so I could trade without fear of hitting the loss limit of Max DD. This allowed me to define and execute my setups in a real environment. This combine is about trading my defined setups within a combine environment where loss limit and Max DD matter. I have no expectations of the outcome other than to execute the plan and to learn.

Big difference.. In January I was just trading blindly. Now I am trading with confidence and vision. What I have now that I did not have in January: I have a goal; I have a plan; I have a trading method which works for me; I have the right attitude and I now have trading experience. All of this is adding up to progress toward my goal of becoming a professional trader.

Robert

nosce te ipsum

You make your own opportunities in life.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,603

Robert,

How do you like MetaTrader compared with Sierra Chart and NinjaTrader?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio

Big Mike View Post
Robert,

How do you like MetaTrader compared with Sierra Chart and NinjaTrader?

Mike

@Big Mike

It lacks the robustness of order entry when compared to Sierra and NT. There are no custom setups. and order entry is cumbersome unless you are entering a market order. I would never use it for day trading.

The indicators are solid and draw very well on the charts. They are as good if not better than NT and better than Sierra. However, it lacks Market Profile and Volume Profile. The charts themselves are well drawn. Biggest complaint is you cannot scroll back in time in a live market. Every time a new tick comes in takes you back to the beginning of the chart.

The time frames appear to be limited to standard set. All of them in minutes and hours. I have not found a way to add a custom time frame. Note: I have not searched for a way to either.

I love information box at the bottom of the screen which shows positions, acct value, alerts etc. Its very easy to see where you are at a glance.

They have a decent community, not as good as NT but better than Sierra. They have a good set of custom indicators to choose from. Automated trading is simple to implement. I took a look at he coding section which is in C#. It is not as intuitive as NT.

Overall (IMO) MetaTrader is designed for buy and hold traders.

Robert

nosce te ipsum

Thanked by:
 aiti 
Germany

Platform: Multicharts
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 373
Thanks Received: 13

Silver Dragon View Post
Biggest complaint is you cannot scroll back in time in a live market. Every time a new tick comes in takes you back to the beginning of the chart.

Robert

Hi Robert,

in metatrader you have on the top a button named "autoscroll" which is on by default.
If you switch it off you can scroll the chart to every point in livesession.

aiti

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio

Discovered order flow... all I can say is wow.. I have been missing out.

nosce te ipsum

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio

Setup example using volume footprint

nosce te ipsum

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio

Things I been learning:

Today while watching times and sales and the chart I was able to recognize buying and selling absorption. I missed the first move off the absorption but caught a second move later in the day. This was really cool to watch. I have seen it before but never knew what it was and of course took the trade in the wrong direction.

Understanding the previous days value area and range in relation to where the market opens can help predict what type of day it is going to be and what type of moves to expect. The last couple of days I have been able to predict what type of market to expect for the upcoming days and adjust my trading to fit the market.

I am starting to see how order flow, volume profile and market profile overlap and work together to give a complete picture of the market. These tools are also starting to answer long standing questions I have had about why some breakouts , bounces, trends, etc.. fail and why others succeed.

Currently reading: Mind Over Markets.

Robert

nosce te ipsum

Thanked by:

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio

TopStep asked their chat community to share "lessons learned" from the combine's last week. Received good feedback from my submissions so I am re-posting here to share with the futures.io (formerly BMT) community.

Robert

Quoting 
Combine Lesson 1: Over all my combines I have learned how important risk is to trading. You cannot trade successfully without managing risk.You also have to have a plan and a strategy which meets your needs. Then you have to have to have the resolve to follow through with those plans for better or worse. Most important: you must learn from your mistakes.

Combine Lessons: 2nd lesson: Choosing a combine which meets your financial goals may have a detrimental impact on your trading. A better approach is to choose a combine which fits into your psychological requirements. ex: I asked the question How much money am I comfortable losing on a single trade? A: $300 to $400. Then I found a strategy and combine which met that goal. This = no stress trading for me.

nosce te ipsum

Thanked by:

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio

Onward and forward.

Delving deeper into the world of MP, VP & OF and seeing the market in an entirely different light. Below is a chart from Fridays action in CL. See how CL stayed within yesterday's range but stayed out of yesterdays value area. There were two chances to catch the waves from the bottom. I capitalized on the first one in my combine but had doubts about the second one so I took it in SIM.

I was also able to see the the buying absorption on the open and capitalize on the move down. Watching time and sales and the chart can sometimes's give a clear indication who is charge.

What I am learning from all this is waiting for these key area's to be tested and understanding where the upper and lower areas might be gives a trader an edge to catch the really big moves. Had I been able to capitalize on those 3 trades and let them play out I would have been up nearly a 100 ticks for the day on a single contract. I am learning! Now I need to put practice and observation into action.

nosce te ipsum

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio

CL opened lower tonight but is still within a balance area and is contained within last Tuesdays price range. It should be noted, with the exception of a couple of hours, all the price action for the last 3 days has been above the value area on Tuesday. Sunday's open poked into Tuesday's value area and was rejected.

Robert

nosce te ipsum

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on February 2, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts