NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Should vendors be allowed to become Elite Members?

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ThatManFromTexas with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 wldman with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Xav1029 with 3 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one rk142 with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ThatManFromTexas with 1.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Xav1029 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,032 views
    2. thumb_up 28 thanks given
    3. group 16 followers
    1. forum 45 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Should vendors be allowed to become Elite Members?

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

As a certified 'evil vendor', I shall give my 2c...

I'm not sure if any existing vendor has stolen code from here OR if the issue is non-vendors coming along, seeing what is here & deciding to make a business out of it.

That should guide the decision somewhat.

If anyone wants to register as a non-vendor then they can, and so vendors could create a sign-in and get in anyway.

So - it's very tricky to keep them (us) out.

It's also tricky to vet every vendor and have an 'approved' list. Also that approval might be taken the wrong way by regular members.

I think that anyone found re-distributing the code should get the boot but in short, I'm not sure how you'd protect the code other than locking the code & licensing it.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 rk142 
Atlanta, GA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: N/A
Thanks Given: 117
Thanks Received: 328

I don't think anybody thinks vendors are evil - it's just that many of us know, either through common sense or bitter experience, that grifters and suckers are the yin and yang tattooed on trading's underbelly.

You're right about the basic facts: you can't keep seedy vendors out anymore than you can keep open code in.

We just have to remember that the internet is a public space, and $50 is not a significant enough hurdle to change that. So before any of us posts code, we should weigh how much we want to help others in this interesting but anonymous community against how much it would bother us to see our work become free R&D for somebody else's business.

best,
RK

(your posts have been helpful to me, by the way, Dionysus, so I'm glad you're here - and great handle)

Thanked by:
 Eanderson1956 
Paradise California

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 56
Thanks Received: 12

futures.io (formerly BMT) is a phenomenal resource for both learning and advanced traders. The exchange of ideas and help provided by all should not be changed at all. I am amazed by the process of an idea for an indicator or a change to an indicator working its way through the process. ( if you could make it do this--- here try that--- that's almost it--- how about now) this is fantastic and then having the results of those efforts available for all to try out to see if they could be of use or not at no expense other than the initial elite fee is great.
Everyone involved with the evolution and operation of this forum should be extremely proud of their efforts and results. Extreme care should be taken before changes are made. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Thanks for all your efforts, insight and time

Erik

Thanked by:

jet9jockey 
Grand Forks ND

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS, Ninja Trader
Trading: Options, Futures
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 24

Do you know why locks were invented? To keep honest people honest. As long as the code for the indicators is open source (free) there is going to be people who take advantage of it, they will take it, change it around a little and call it there own. We all know that there is no holy grail, but for those who make their living sailing indicators and education BM is the holy grail. I am not saying all vendors are evil. The question I would like to see is "What vendors that are elite members have a product or service that is legit?" I know that this can be a hard thing to evaluate, but from my point of view when I joined futures.io (formerly BMT) I was not looking for the greatest indicator or system, I was and still am looking for the best education. (For those of you who will chime in and tell me to read lots of books or troll my way through the forms "DON'T" that is not my learning style) I would think that with all the great people that are here at futures.io (formerly BMT) there would be some way to evaluate these vendors and assign ratings. That's my 2cents.

Thanked by:

NJAMC 
Atkinson, NH USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8/TensorFlow
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures, CL, ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 3,037
Thanks Received: 2,394

DionysusToast View Post

I think that anyone found re-distributing the code should get the boot but in short, I'm not sure how you'd protect the code other than locking the code & licensing it.

I agree with the concept of protecting the code. Keeping vendors or "future vendors" off of the elite section I don't think solves anything.

Unfortunately, protecting the code (which defeats the purpose of the open source concept) will help. I am not a strong advocate of DLLs on futures.io (formerly BMT) although I have seen many "contributors" resort to only distributing the DLL, which I thought was against the rules on futures.io (formerly BMT).

I think the only way to slow down (can't prevent) theft is by the "licensing agreement". If futures.io (formerly BMT) had a "futures.io (formerly BMT) License" and the desire to defend violations of that license (file suit) then we would have something to fall back on. In reality, I don't picture @Big Mike hiring a legal firm to protect the code posted for Elite membership use only.

Nil per os
-NJAMC [Generic Programmer]

LOM WIKI: NT-Local-Order-Manager-LOM-Guide
Artificial Bee Colony Optimization
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,348

I see no good coming from a list of good/bad vendors ....

A member has a bad experience with a vendor and then blames futures.io (formerly BMT) since the vendor was on the "approved" list.

A member with a personal grievance against a vendor , vents his spleen on futures.io (formerly BMT) and gets the vendor on the bad list. The vendor supplies documentation to show the accusations are untrue and decides to " lawyer up".

The current system works. Vendors that contribute to the board are welcome and those that break the rules are booted to the curb.

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"

Last Updated on September 17, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts