NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

World's richest woman says poor should have less fun, work harder

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Victory Trader with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two Tarkus11 with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 BlackSwan04 with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 peterg with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ThatManFromTexas with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two RM99 with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Victory Trader with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 BlackSwan04 with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 4,262 views
    2. thumb_up 8 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 21 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

World's richest woman says poor should have less fun, work harder

RM99 
Austin, TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 124
Thanks Received: 704

How is this controversial?

It's probably good advice for 99% of the world....work harder, screw off less.

In other shocking news, fat people should eat less and get more exercise (as I type this, fat people around the world are shocked and dismayed at how insensitive I am).

In equally shocking news, people who smoke too much and drink too much should do it less.....

In equally shocking news, if you're gonna have sex with someone unfamiliar, you should probably wear a condom....if you get HIV and you live in America you weren't raped or got it from a blood transfusion (or your mother while in the womb) then I don't really feel sorry for you....condoms are cheap and readily available at virtually ever convenience store, drug store and grocery store in America. (I'm sure thousands with HIV would howl at reading this).

People never want to hear inconvenient truths, they're always more interested in hearing convenient lies....

so in that respect....

"You're poor and destitute through zero fault of your own."

"A dumb man never learns. A smart man learns from his own failure and success. But a wise man learns from the failure and success of others."

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
 Tarkus11 
East Coast

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 55
Thanks Received: 80

I don't think there is anything wrong with the sentiment, but it is like a fat lady (hmmm...) telling other people to eat less and exercise. If she made her money herself rather than having inherited it, it would sound more like somebody who actually knew what it meant to work hard and earn that fortune. (As long as it was made legally, of course - and I don't mean by buying-out the law).

dadof3and3 
New Braunfels, Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Amp Futures
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 46

"If you do what you've always done, you should expect to get what you've always gotten"

peterg 
maui

Experience: Master
Platform: NT, TWS,TW
Broker: IB.AMP.CQG.DTN
Trading: Currency, Futures, Options
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 199

BlackSwan04 View Post
Inheritance and fortunate circumstances aside, she's not wrong...

She's not right either, there is no guarantee success will result from dedication too "hard" work.

How far you do think she could get swinging a pick axe, if pennyless?

How long before she could afford a back hoe?

Meanwhile, she'll build character, feel better about herself and be too tired to complain or envy?

"You're all nothing but a bunch of babbling, smokin', drunks........ now get the fug back to My mine and DIG!

And you best not ask for a penny more or I'll call the Militia to gun you down."

RM99 
Austin, TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 124
Thanks Received: 704

peterg View Post
She's not right either, there is no guarantee success will result from dedication too "hard" work.

Meanwhile, she'll build character, feel better about herself and be too tired to complain or envy?

"You're all nothing but a bunch of babbling, smokin', drunks........ now get the fug back to My mine and DIG!

And you best not ask for a penny more or I'll call the Militia to gun you down."

This is liberal garbage. There's certainly no guarantee that you will end up rich and successful with hard work. But there's a near 100% chance you will end up poor if you're lazy and inept.

The reason that Hollywood subscribes to this notion that all wealth is luck or fortune is because for most of Hollywood, it's true. For every famous actress, there are 1000 waiting tables and performing sex acts with producers and executives to get their "break."

Outside of Hollywood and celebrity occupations, the world works largely on whatever you have to bring to the market that's valuable. Some people add value to the market through their skill, some through hard work, some through brilliance and creativity, etc. You'd better have something EXCLUSIVE to add to the world if you want to get paid.

Teachers are invaluable...and yet, they get paid very low comparatively, why? The common misconception is that we should pay based upon the importance of the job. If that were true, Farmer's would get paid more than anyone else in the world....

The reality is that pay is based upon VALUE. Just because a job is important, doesn't mean it will be high paying or rewarding.

If there's 2 other people out there for that can do the same job as a person doing it, then the job (although important) isn't exclusive at all.....in essence, you're easily replaced.

College kids are filled with this crap about "doing what you love." If that were the case, I'd be a professional college football fan. Or a professional scuba diver or a professional firearms enthusiast. But because those are either in low demand or low paying, I have to do something that pays well, and hopefully, I don't abhor it.

Reality isn't finding a job that you work everyday with a giant smile on your face. Reality is finding a good paying job that some days you smile, some days you don't, but most days you're not intolerably miserable.

Work, creativity, sacrifice, tough choices, stress, sleepless nights, investment in the future, educating yourself, experience....those are the roads to success.

OR you could just take the liberal approach and assume it's a big fixed pie and everything's a giant roll of the dice...which is simply justification to be intellectually lazy and arrive at the conclusion that it's okay to rob from other people...after all, the only reason they have prosperity is because they're just lucky.

"A dumb man never learns. A smart man learns from his own failure and success. But a wise man learns from the failure and success of others."
Thanked by:
 Tarkus11 
East Coast

peterg View Post

There is a distinction between Trust-Fund babies and guys like Steve Jobs/Steve Wozniak.

The former are more like old European royalty. They don't necessarily have any greater distinguishing innate abilities but they have greater privilege and power. Getting away from that system was one of the reasons people flocked to The New World.

Lots of money can make up for a lot of personal shortcomings in ability. You can always hire people to do things for you.

BlackSwan04
Boise Idaho/US

Thanks Given: 63
Thanks Received: 60

ThatManFromTexas View Post
@BlackSwan04

Thank you for posting this... I read it and had an epiphany ... all an old guy like me has to do is quit whineing, ... try harder and I too can be one of these guys...

Richest Rappers 2012 – Forbes Wealthiest Hip-Hop Artists ‹ The Richest People In The World 2012

or these guys....

Highest-Paid Athletes 2012 – World’s Richest Athletes ‹ The Richest People In The World 2012

Dang didn't realize I had so many career choices ...

TMFT,

I suspect this may be more up your alley.

--BlackSwan

peterg 
maui

Experience: Master
Platform: NT, TWS,TW
Broker: IB.AMP.CQG.DTN
Trading: Currency, Futures, Options
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 199

#RM99

RM99 View Post
This is liberal garbage. There's certainly no guarantee that you will end up rich and successful with hard work. But there's a near 100% chance you will end up poor if you're lazy and inept.

The reason that Hollywood subscribes to this notion that all wealth is luck or fortune is because for most of Hollywood, it's true. For every famous actress, there are 1000 waiting tables and performing sex acts with producers and executives to get their "break."

Outside of Hollywood and celebrity occupations, the world works largely on whatever you have to bring to the market that's valuable. Some people add value to the market through their skill, some through hard work, some through brilliance and creativity, etc. You'd better have something EXCLUSIVE to add to the world if you want to get paid.

Teachers are invaluable...and yet, they get paid very low comparatively, why? The common misconception is that we should pay based upon the importance of the job. If that were true, Farmer's would get paid more than anyone else in the world....

The reality is that pay is based upon VALUE. Just because a job is important, doesn't mean it will be high paying or rewarding.

If there's 2 other people out there for that can do the same job as a person doing it, then the job (although important) isn't exclusive at all.....in essence, you're easily replaced.

College kids are filled with this crap about "doing what you love." If that were the case, I'd be a professional college football fan. Or a professional scuba diver or a professional firearms enthusiast. But because those are either in low demand or low paying, I have to do something that pays well, and hopefully, I don't abhor it.

Reality isn't finding a job that you work everyday with a giant smile on your face. Reality is finding a good paying job that some days you smile, some days you don't, but most days you're not intolerably miserable.

Work, creativity, sacrifice, tough choices, stress, sleepless nights, investment in the future, educating yourself, experience....those are the roads to success.

OR you could just take the liberal approach and assume it's a big fixed pie and everything's a giant roll of the dice...which is simply justification to be intellectually lazy and arrive at the conclusion that it's okay to rob from other people...after all, the only reason they have prosperity is because they're just lucky.

Learn to identify cynical sarcasm that is pointed and has a ironic basis in fact; and don't generalize and dismiss comment's of other as "politicized garbage" especially when you argument is a meandering of subjective opinions and concludes with nonsequitur jab.

Get current.... How many Striking South African miners were gunned down two weeks ago. That's reality, not Hollywood....wait ....maybe it was all a staged conspiracy...Liberal Media is definitely in league with Hollywood and the Global Unions.

OK ditch the mining / pick axe...analogy....since BHP success' can only be attributed to the owners and and the very tip top in management.

Lets be civil and prefer to socialize.....

Perhaps one should work harder at climbing the "Right" social strata, attend posh parties, wave the right cigarettes, and sip the proper libations.

Keep those fingernails clean and still cleaner by having all your doors opened for you.

Tarkus11 
East Coast

Ferrari Crashes Spark Rage at Asia's Rich - Yahoo! Finance

It could be argued that inheriting vast wealth also creates more self-important brats and is a detriment to advancing the species....

MrYou 
NC, USA

Experience: None
Platform: None Yet
Trading: Guitar
Thanks Given: 618
Thanks Received: 196

IMO, working "hard" to get ahead in life is old fashion thinking...

In this day and age you have to work "smart" to get ahead.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in the past.

Last Updated on September 7, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts