NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Beginners Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one 223552 with 63 posts (57 thanks)
    2. looks_two Silver Dragon with 4 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fourwedge with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 DropD with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two 223552 with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fourwedge with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 DropD with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,236 views
    2. thumb_up 67 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 77 posts
    2. attach_file 142 attachments

Search this Thread

Beginners Trading Journal

Inol
Paris / France

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 3

what have I to know to make my own journal?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

melbourne Victoria/australia

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 59

Inol View Post
what have I to know to make my own journal?

Your journal is the diary of your trades. You make it into whatever you want it to be. You can write up your trades, the thinking behind it, track you performance. In my opinion, the diary forces you to be more accountable for your trades. You also get helpful feedback from other traders.

Good Luck!

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,049
Thanks Received: 9,522

already has three posts.

That was easy wasn't it?

grab screen shots of your charts and you are on your way...best of luck

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

4/12/12 Long GPT 120 shares at $3.57, stop $3.48. There has been a long term s/r line that was broken in September 2012. The stock been retracing past few months, while still respecting the s/r line. There was a breakout on larger volume on 3/12/12. I went long. Nearly got stopped out 2 days later...

6/12/12
IMD reached its target of $1.20 last friday. The move was strong and it closed around $1.10, I was expecting a few more days of panic selling, as I have seen it before. I also decided to keep my target of $1.20 as a stop loss. To my surprise, the stock started going up on monday, staid at $1.20 for a few days, and closed above it on Wednesday 5/12/12. I closed the position first thing thursday morning. Profit $50+, 3 rd stock to reach its target, and all have been short positions...

If I come across this situation again, when a stock reaches its target, but I think it will move further, I will be closing half of the position, and locking in profits, and then waiting for the next move.

So far December has been good, I am up $250 in my positions, however, this is presenting me with 2 problems,

1. Overconfidence - I am a beginner, so my current success is part my stock picking, part luck, and part right-time... So need to keep my feet on the ground

2. Paper profit - most of my stocks have had sharp moves, leaving my stops far behind, leaving me exposed... I have looked over all my charts, and currently can not move my stops...... Need to think about this one, open to suggestions from other too..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpt.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	96629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMD.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	96630  

10/12/12 Stopped out of FMG short position at $3.95, I was able to move my stop lower , which limited my loss to $4.50. Happy with this trade, I followed my rules, stock has been going up strongly since.

10/12/12 Went long SGP 130 shares at $3.41, put my stop at around $3.31-3.32. Looking back at the charts now, I have no idea why I took the trade.... The stock has broke through the s/r at around $3.50, retracing back, but there has not been a significat break out yet... The stock kind of drifted out of the range on 2 negative candles some increase in volume. This is certainly a set up I want to watch, and should trade a breakout with target of $4.20 next major s/r. I must make my trading rules more clear. Have a firm idea on the set up, trades, and exits...

AUD/USD I have been watching aus dollar agains us for a few weeks now. My opinion is, if it breaks out of major consolidation/retracement over the past 2 years, next target is $1.20. The break out occurred 2 days ago. I would like to take the trade, however with 1 mini contract, my stop would still be about $75-95, I am not comfortable with this amount yet, even though the upside is around $1500. If there is a pullback to around $1.050, I may take the trade, otherwise will watch..........
If I am correct and the dollar goes higher, this may lead to further interest rate cuts in Australia, with Bonds going higher (they have been going down), but I dont know how to trade bonds
Also if i am correct , and dollar goes higher, it will hurt Australian miners, so I will be watching to short big miners such as BHP, Rio, Fortescue.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fmg.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	97044   Click image for larger version

Name:	sgp.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	97045   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-d forex.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	97046  

14/12/12 Went long RMD 175 shares at $3.96, stop $3.89, it has reached a new high, and has had a retracement over the last 2 months. Broke out on Wed, I did not see it till this morning. The stock opened lower, and gave me a much better entry point with a very small stop loss. Targets around $4.30 first, aand a long term target of possibly $5-5.50.
I am finding lately that I do not rush into the trade, I may see a buy signal, but still wait for an entry point that I am comfortable with.
I have also been getting a bit of anxiety before putting a trade on... Currently all 9 of my positions are positive (RMD is the 10th), and I seem to be scared of putting on a trade, and if turns into a loss. I might stick to very small positions for now to keep my potential loss to minimum, to get my comfort zone back. Ultimately I will have to increase my positions 20-30 times its current levels, to make any money out of the stocks.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rmd.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	97145  
 Fourwedge 
Kansas City MO

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Thinkorswim
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 262
Thanks Received: 18

223552 View Post
At the moment I am using the lowest point on a candle of the break out as a stop loss. I guess there are many ways to set a stop loss, could be dollar amount, %, specific price etc. I honestly don't know enough about trading right now to make a choice between different stop options. Hopefully, something I will learn in the future. Now that I am avoiding trading break outs, I am seeing retracement back to s/r line in nearly 100% of cases!!! I wonder if anyone else has noticed that ... The big questions is when do you establish a position?

I was having the same problem you are and I was setting my stops directly below the candle like you too. I now know that was the reason for my terrible win loss ratio. I think you just have it too tight for a swing trade position. To me it sounds like you have a shorter (daytrader) stop in place.

I have been using an ATRx2 stop. I let the volatility of the stock determine how many shares I can buy. That way your risk is accounted for also.

Example: risk per trade / 2 x ATR = number of shares purchased

Or $200/(2x .54) = 192.3

So I would round up to 200 shares and set my initial stop 2 daily atr's below my entry price. That's what I would say about stops. I also don't understand your usage of targets in swing trading.

Everyone has heard let your winners run right? I think you should try it! I really believe risk/reward ratio is a fallacy, particularly in longer term trading. I believe it has its place for day trading.

Just my 2 cents
Good luck and keep up the great journal

Fourwedge

Thanked by:

Fourwedge View Post
I was having the same problem you are and I was setting my stops directly below the candle like you too. I now know that was the reason for my terrible win loss ratio. I think you just have it too tight for a swing trade position. To me it sounds like you have a shorter (daytrader) stop in place.

I have been using an ATRx2 stop. I let the volatility of the stock determine how many shares I can buy. That way your risk is accounted for also.

Example: risk per trade / 2 x ATR = number of shares purchased

Or $200/(2x .54) = 192.3

So I would round up to 200 shares and set my initial stop 2 daily atr's below my entry price. That's what I would say about stops. I also don't understand your usage of targets in swing trading.

Everyone has heard let your winners run right? I think you should try it! I really believe risk/reward ratio is a fallacy, particularly in longer term trading. I believe it has its place for day trading.

Just my 2 cents
Good luck and keep up the great journal

Fourwedge

Thanks for your advice! I am not familiar with ATR, i have looked it up since, and will need some time to study it, and learn the formulation for it. My charting software has it, so will play around with it once I understand it a bit more.

Lately I have been thinking about the stop losses, and my current thinking about stop loss has changed. It is part of a much bigger picture. The way I am starting to see my trading now, is find a stock that has made a move (buy/sell signal) and enter into the trade. If I enter at the right time, then even the tightest stop should be safe. My stop loss now is a point at which I must realize that the stock is not ready to go where I want it to go. The actual loss amount is what I am prepared to pay for this realization.

In regards to targets, Unless the stock is at all time high, then there are usually areas of previous highs/lows that stocks tend to react to. It gives me an indication where it a stock may go... It is a guess, but it seems to be widely used in charting books, and by some pro traders as well. with time I may change my thinking, but for now i will stick to basic rules

Fourwedge 
Kansas City MO

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Thinkorswim
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 262
Thanks Received: 18

223552 View Post
Thanks for your advice! I am not familiar with ATR, i have looked it up since, and will need some time to study it, and learn the formulation for it. My charting software has it, so will play around with it once I understand it a bit more.

Lately I have been thinking about the stop losses, and my current thinking about stop loss has changed. It is part of a much bigger picture. The way I am starting to see my trading now, is find a stock that has made a move (buy/sell signal) and enter into the trade. If I enter at the right time, then even the tightest stop should be safe. My stop loss now is a point at which I must realize that the stock is not ready to go where I want it to go. The actual loss amount is what I am prepared to pay for this realization.

In regards to targets, Unless the stock is at all time high, then there are usually areas of previous highs/lows that stocks tend to react to. It gives me an indication where it a stock may go... It is a guess, but it seems to be widely used in charting books, and by some pro traders as well. with time I may change my thinking, but for now i will stick to basic rules

ATR is average true range. It's the average range of movement a stock displays. The last couple months I have been setting the initial stop at the beginning of the trade ,2 daily atr's below entry price.

Good luck
Fw

Fourwedge View Post
ATR is average true range. It's the average range of movement a stock displays. The last couple months I have been setting the initial stop at the beginning of the trade ,2 daily atr's below entry price.

Good luck
Fw

Do you use 14 days? Also is the stop loss triggered when daily close bellow ATR or even intraday fall bellow?

Thanks
Felix

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 10, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts