NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Sierra vs. Ninja : why I chose .....

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 33 posts (73 thanks)
    2. looks_two Futures Operator with 24 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 LaissezFaire with 16 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SierraChart with 16 posts (29 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Rrrracer with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SierraChart with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 104,945 views
    2. thumb_up 314 thanks given
    3. group 60 followers
    1. forum 213 posts
    2. attach_file 18 attachments

Search this Thread

Sierra vs. Ninja : why I chose .....

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,511
Thanks Received: 26,292

jagui View Post
I have to say that NT is much more professionally managed, while SC is run by a group of fundamentalistic developers, which can program very very well, but often they take decisions based more on what they like or dislike than on customer interest. The one thing that really upset me, is how easy they drop support for platform brokerages/datafeed/technologies they don't like. And, even if they are not dropping support, if they don't like something, they implementation will often be somewhat problematic.

The best example of this is IB support. They criticize every aspect of IB, and probably they're right, and so they don't care much when a problem arise, for example when IB do some API updates. This is very unprofessional from the trader's point of view. If you support IB, and getting IB traders money to use your platform, you have to always provide a stable solution, even if you don't like IB.

Definitely a reality if you use SC. I like both platforms, and I think that, in the main, SC is better from a technical standpoint. But it's almost as if the people at SC don't think they need to satisfy their customers. Really an odd point for view for a company that is selling something to (what else?) customers.

But this is the difference between the two companies. For example, SC will respond very quickly to a report of a technical issue, but generally doesn't much care about pure customer issues. NT will act, in my experience, quickly on customer issues but is slower with purely technical ones (unless, of course, there's a customer issue, which they will respond to quickly.)

So people somewhat sort themselves out between the two firms, based on what they are looking for.

I'm sorted more toward SC.... But I can certainly see and understand @jagui's point, which is a good one.

A person will have to decide what is important to them. I think you will find something like this distinction running through a lot of the discussions of the two platforms.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

kremat0r 
Prague, Czechia

Experience: Intermediate
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 58

SierraChart

For customization options, stability, low CPU usage, low cost.
I don't like them how they act when it comes to Interactive Brokers which I use.

I can understand IB API is specific, but they keep complaining and complaining, despite Interactive being a huge group of customers.

Ninja for me act, as they know more then me what I need
It looks nice from the box so its advantage for new users.

Thanked by:

jagui 
Italy - Roma

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja + proprietary
Broker: IB
Trading: Index futures, Forex, Stocks
Thanks Given: 298
Thanks Received: 314

bobwest View Post
I'm sorted more toward SC.... But I can certainly see and understand @jagui's point, which is a good one.

I'm more sorted toward SC too... mainly because it's much easier to program it in C++ than all the C# crap and artificial limitations you have to digest with NT.

After further thinking... I changed my mind, I won't drop SC, because speed and easy of developement is very important to me. I hope they will support IB at an acceptable level.

Thanked by:
cmelody
Zaanstad, Netherlands

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 8

For me, Sierra Chart is hands down faster, but I have many vendor indicators for NinjaTrader that I can not let go of, so I still use NinjaTrader. But if you are just starting out and looking for best performance, that would be Sierra Chart without a doubt.

Last Updated on May 23, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts