NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Spot FX Day Trading: The Jigsaw

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mokodo with 179 posts (116 thanks)
    2. looks_two Adamus with 40 posts (27 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 blackdogfx with 3 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ratfink with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mokodo with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,976 views
    2. thumb_up 155 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 242 posts
    2. attach_file 141 attachments

Search this Thread

Spot FX Day Trading: The Jigsaw

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

mokodo View Post
Thursday 6th September

Your screen shots did not work.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

mokodo 
Bridgwater, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: MB Trading
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 525
Thanks Received: 348

Uploaded those again - tested on a couple of browsers, hopefully available now

know thyself
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

mokodo View Post
Uploaded those again - tested on a couple of browsers, hopefully available now

Yup all good now.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread

mokodo 
Bridgwater, UK

Friday 7th September

Will usually be engaged on other work on Friday's from now on. Wow there were fireworks today. My short stop entry on the EURUSD (SIM trade testing a new swing set-up) at 1.2625 was not triggered so that is canceled. Price well and truly rejected the two Resistance channels and invalidated my trade idea so glad to be away without a loss there.

I have started keeping a portfolio of interesting set-ups and other price activity where I think I can learn something and (hopefully) help develop me as a trader. It feels like I am scratching away at a picture to see if another has been painted underneath. After a week of doing this it definitely feels like it has value, only downside is that it is another element of journaling which is sort of taking over my life.

I have read and re-read Brett Steenbarger's 'The Daily Trading Coach' in the past and now make a point of referring to the notes I took of the book to do (or re-do) exercises that are relevant to my current trading. The ones about finding patterns in past journals of behaviour, thoughts, emotions or externalities that then led to either to good or bad trading periods have been excellent and I absolutely know that when I journal well I trade well - and vice versa. This even seems to work if I have losses, as the journaling helps be dig out of the hole quicker.

But now I think I have a problem of excessive journaling! I use a trade card for each trade which is really an aid for making sure I follow my rules and execution, holds the order info and gives a commentary of the trade itself. At the end of the session the order info is then transferred to my excel trade log, with links to screen shots etc.

Then I have my hand written journal which is at least 2 sides of A4 for each trading day and sometimes much more.Then I keep this futures.io (formerly BMT) journal going. And my portfolio of trades and price action.

I trade a 5 hr slot in the morning and a 3 hr slot in the afternoons on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (Mondays is a later start and I am not trading Friday at the moment). During trading I just watch, get in the flow and trade. So all the journaling tasks (except the trade cards) are completed outside of these sessions.

Just venting my emotions over this here. I think a bit of rationalisation needs to be done to keep the benefits but cut back on the time demands. And if that's not possible just keep on trucking with things as they are and hope that experience will lighten the loads as time goes on.

Got to love that journaling though!

Until Monday...

know thyself
carbazzy
Washington DC USA

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 2

Hello, I am new to forex and trading in general, looking for tips and advice. I have used Trade Station and love its charting but don't have the $2000 minimum to open a forex account. I opened a Oanda account a few weeks back and have been having some success but feel the charting is lacking. What platform do you guys recommend for day trading forex? I have a written trade plan and have started a journal so I will try and keep a journal here as well. I am trying to keep my trading as simple as possible, currently just trading support and resistance levels. I was up 30% in my first two weeks of trading and gave back 15% in my third week trading. I'm looking for consistency trying to build my account to switch to Trade Station for their charting, and hopefully replace the 9 to 5, which is more like 9:30-11:00pm job. I want to continue to focus on forex while learning more about futures and options. I have had great success with a practice futures account but again lack the capital to open a futures trade account.

Any advice and wisdom is welcome.

Cheers
Todd

mokodo 
Bridgwater, UK

carbazzy View Post
Hello, I am new to forex and trading in general, looking for tips and advice. I have used Trade Station and love its charting but don't have the $2000 minimum to open a forex account. I opened a Oanda account a few weeks back and have been having some success but feel the charting is lacking. What platform do you guys recommend for day trading forex? I have a written trade plan and have started a journal so I will try and keep a journal here as well. I am trying to keep my trading as simple as possible, currently just trading support and resistance levels. I was up 30% in my first two weeks of trading and gave back 15% in my third week trading. I'm looking for consistency trying to build my account to switch to Trade Station for their charting, and hopefully replace the 9 to 5, which is more like 9:30-11:00pm job. I want to continue to focus on forex while learning more about futures and options. I have had great success with a practice futures account but again lack the capital to open a futures trade account.

Any advice and wisdom is welcome.

Cheers
Todd

I use Ninjatrader(NT) and trade spot FX with MB Trading. NT is quite popular because it offer a relatively straight forward way to start coding and is free for SIM trading with a compatible broker. They offer micro lot sizes so that may work for you.

I would say that if you starting with a very small amount of capital the temptation to use high leverage to make money is a usually a sure fire way to lose the lot. Just to make a comparison, you made a 30% increase in your account in two weeks and gave half back in a week. If you look at the other end of the spectrum of hedge funds, etc 30% IN A YEAR. Is high performance. So you get the point about high leverage = high risk.

I do not want to discourage you at all, just bear in mind staying in the game is the No. 1 concern for all successful traders, everything else is secondary to that.

I wish you the best in your endeavor's.

know thyself

mokodo 
Bridgwater, UK

Family crises stemming from my father's business getting into difficulties hit the fan this weekend. He has asked me to help him sort it out. Pension, savings etc. all on the line for mum and dad, so trading will be on hold for at least a few weeks whilst I try to resolve it for them. Very disappointed about the timing as I really feel like I have made breakthroughs in the last few months - but this is far more important. Hopefully I can just get back to trading when the time is right.

Until October?....

know thyself
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

Hope you can work it out for him, good luck.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Thanked by:

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MC, MC.Net, NT, TWS
Broker: IB / IQFeed / Kids
Trading: Forex, stocks
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 460

Life is what happens to us while we're busy trading. Best wishes.

b.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

mokodo 
Bridgwater, UK

Looks like trading may be part of my work schedule from October, albeit only perhaps 2 maybe 3 days a week. Outside commitments are likely to be ongoing for the foreseeable.

Patience, patience, patience. No good running for the bus, sit tight there will be another a long shortly no doubt.

Will take a bit of adjustment as I had developed a good daily / weekly routine that was starting to work. I also found it invaluable to be able to watch price action for hours and hours and that, I felt, was contributing to a growing sense of 'market feel'. Clearly don't want that to evaporate due to stop/go trading sessions.

But very, very glad to know I'll be back in the saddle shortly. Don't think I had appreciated how much fun I have when I'm trading. There were a few moments in the last weeks that it looked like my trading career would be on a permanent hold - and I had a feeling my favorite toy was being locked away in a cupboard.

Until next week (hopefully)...

know thyself

Last Updated on November 18, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts