NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Allistah's Weekly Options Seller Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Allistah with 53 posts (42 thanks)
    2. looks_two delanth with 7 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SeeTrader with 6 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cwerdna with 4 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Allistah with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SeeTrader with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cwerdna with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 16,633 views
    2. thumb_up 49 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 81 posts
    2. attach_file 16 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Allistah's Weekly Options Seller Journal

Allistah
Bay Area, CA

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 64

Hello everyone,

I am going to start a journal on selling vertical spreads on the weekly options. I wanted to do this to force myself to write out all of the rules and follow them each week. I'll be posting all of the results as I have them in my spreadsheet. The purchase date and times as well as any sales info at the end if they're closed early. I've had some success with this already but I want to get systematic about it. I've found that I'm a systems trader and do best when I have an exact system to follow. Anyways, today and tomorrow I plan on writing out the entire trading plan and rules along with the two indicators that I use. Just until I get everything laid out in detail - the strategy is to sell bull put spreads or bear call spreads for a credit. This keeps Theta on my side and the goal is to have each spread expire worthless at the end of each week. More later!

I'm going to elaborate on these rules as time goes on but I wanted to at least get a minimum up so when I post trades they can sort of see what I'm up to and why.

-------------------------------------------------
Rules for Trading Weekly Vertical Spreads:

The Goal: Sell vertical credit spreads on weekly options and let them expire worthless at the end of the week

For Selling Bull Put Spreads:
Weekly chart (StochRSI must be up or OverSold) or show major Bullish Divergence on MACD
Daily chart StochRSI must be up and below OverBought

Additional Bullish Divergence on MACD on the StochRSI and MACD on the daily chart is just more reasons to get into this trade but the two items above are the minimum requirements on the chart.

Option Rules:
Only sell 2, 5, and 10 dollar spreads.
Sell the ATM Bull Put Spread
Must get at least $1.00 credit

If the most recent support or is broken, exit the trade.

Stay in the trade and let Theta do it's thing. Let it expire worthless if you're on the right side of your short strike.

Basically reverse these rules for bearish trades. You'll sell Bear Call Spreads instead of Bull Put Spreads.

When posting stocks that I'm looking at, I will use these abbreviations to describe why I'm looking to get into the trades:

Key:
------------------------
W=Weekly StochRSI
D=Daily StochRSI

OB = OverBought
OS = OverSold
Up = Up
Dn = Down
BullT = Bullish trade
BearT = Bearish trade

WkBearDirvMACD = There is major bearish divergence on the weekly MACD chart/indicator
WkBullDirvMACD = There is major bullish divergence on the weekly MACD chart/indicator
DayBearDirvMACD = There is major bearish divergence on the daily MACD chart/indicator
DayBullDirvMACD = There is major bullish divergence on the daily MACD chart/indicator

DayBullDirvStochRSI = There is divergence on the daily stochRSI chart/indicator
DayBearDirvStochRSI = There is divergence on the daily stochRSI chart/indicator
WkBullDirvStochRSI = There is divergence on the weekly stochRSI chart/indicator
WkBearDirvStochRSI = There is divergence on the weekly stochRSI chart/indicator

WkDblBtm = There is a double bottom pattern on the weekly chart
DayDblBtm = There is a double bottom pattern on the daily chart

If anyone has questions, please ask me so I can update the rules to make them clearer. It's easy to leave stuff out when you're writing rules as you assume certain things that other may not.

These rules will evolve over time and this is the place where I will keep my copy of them.
--------------------------------------------------

-Allistah

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,538

Congrats on starting the journal!

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
Allistah
Bay Area, CA

Thanks Mike.... ..and I would be really happy if you and others chime in and help correct me where I'm lacking. I've been trading live for about 7 years now. I've blown up one account where I lost about 14k. I seemed to lose all the time. Now it seems like I'm not losing much anymore but I'm not making much either. They say this is part of the process. You will lose a lot, you will get to the point where you don't lose but don't make anything and then finally you'll start making money once you're seasoned enough. I've tried a number of strategies primarily on futures. Twice I've made a lot of money and lost a lot of money, twice in a row. This strategy for this journal is one that I want to be an income generator. I don't expect to get rich quick off it. I want slow consistent results on a weekly basis. I want it to be robotic and boring. I'm currently working on getting the rules laid out and will be posting them at the top of this thread and I will be updating them if needed as we go along.

Thanks again, I'm pretty excited about getting this thread started.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,538

Slow down, post a couple charts with your trades, and give short reasons for why you entered and why you exited where you did. Do this for a bit, and you will see clear patterns.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
Allistah
Bay Area, CA

The new weekly options open tomorrow morning for next week. Below are the stocks that I'm waiting for an entry on along with the reasons why I'm looking to get into a trade on them. I'll post the key here but I'll also post it in the rules of the first post in this thread.

Will look to enter these trades either tomorrow, Friday, or Monday:
-------------------------
CF (BearT, WkBearDirvMACD W=OB, D=OB)
FFIV (BullT, DayDblBtm, DayBullDirvMACD, DayBullDirvStochRSI, W=Up, D=Up)
GOOG (BullT, DayDblBtm, DayBullDirvMACD, DayBullDirvStochRSI, W=Up, D=Up)
MA (BearT, W=OB/Dn, D=Dn)
NFLX (BullT, WkDblBtm, DayDblBtm, WkBullDirvMACD, DayBullDirvMACD, W=OS/Up, D=Dn)
WYNN (BullT, WkBullDirvMACD, W=OB/Dn, D=OS/Dn)

Key located in the first post of this thread along with the rules for this strategy.

Thanked by:
Allistah
Bay Area, CA

So after all that and laying out the rules that I tried to come up with, I realized that they're too rigid for a one week time frame. The likelyhood of being able to get into trades every week will be pretty slim waiting for a weekly and daily chart to line up for an entry. In the past I've felt that I seem to do better on the average when I have about 7-10 spreads each week. Here is what I got into today. I'll explain a couple of them.. Would take too long to explain each one. They're all pretty similar.

Here is the chart with my reasoning for getting into the SPY trade. I did a 131/130 Bull Put Spread. Expires in 8 days.

Here the chart for GOOG. I did a 560/555 Bull Put Spread. Expires in 8 days.

I need to update the rules so they allow me to do what I need to do. The weekly/daily setup was too large I feel and would have kept me out for weeks at a time. I don't have weeks to wait trading weekly options.

I have a set of trades that are going to be expiring tomorrow. I've taken a loss on a couple of them but I will post the results for all of them and where that left me for the week excluding commissions, etc.

Please feel free to comment. I want this to be a learning experience for myself and others.

-Allistah

Thanked by:
 SeeTrader 
Missouri

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 169
Thanks Received: 34

Allistah,

I'm looking forward to your thread. I'm in the same boat with you as far a blowing out accounts trading futures, so I thought I would start looking at options again. I like the idea of starting with spreads. I wish you much success!

SeeTrader

Thanked by:
Allistah
Bay Area, CA

Hey thanks a lot. Yeah, I found that if I leave everything up to my eyes, I start seeing things that aren't there in futures. Thats why I can only trade a 100% mechanical system with futures. I follow it exactly and thats it. No guesswork, nothing. It says, you do. lol With spreads the goal is to wait it out which is nice. I don't do anything with them unless I see a little ITM icon next to the position.

Another cool thing about doing weekly spreads is that you've got a limited risk and the trade only lasts 8 days max. I am very much looking forward to answering any questions you may have or any other comments. If something I've said here is not that clear, please ask. I'm so looking forward to doing this journal. I may be really embarrassed with some of my trades but that's part of the reason why I'm doing this. I need to make that stuff hurt so I stop doing it. It's too easy to brush things under the rug if nobody knows.

Thanked by:
Allistah
Bay Area, CA

I just went over my spreadsheet where I keep track of every spread that I sell down to the commissions. I've sold 116 spreads so far since March and after commissions I have an 11.5% return on total risk. I don' t know what is realistic over the long term (I'd love someone to chime in here and tell me what is great, good, fair, bad, etc. on overall return rates for this type of strategy).

Thanks,

-Allistah

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 23, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts