NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

speedytradingservers.com review

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sam028 with 33 posts (89 thanks)
    2. looks_two Happyface with 11 posts (27 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Superdoug3 with 10 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Daytrader999 with 10 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 4.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two sam028 with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Happyface with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Daytrader999 with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 73,521 views
    2. thumb_up 295 thanks given
    3. group 54 followers
    1. forum 150 posts
    2. attach_file 8 attachments

speedytradingservers.com review

Rory

Thanks Given: 5,444
Thanks Received: 8,140

Impressive uptime alright!

Particularly for @Superdoug3 but bump of delete if in the wrong place. I don't want to hijack a review thread with a long, technical and tangential post however..

I noticed Superdoug3 you thanked me but I realised I had not read your post #86.. and I as was referring to a different post (maybe not in this thread..) involving a similar-to-my-issue where up down/speed was not the problem for my router/ISP but point A (home) to B and C etc. performance to sites abroad, on different paths through the internet, varied wildly. This can involve CoPP policy etc. at the ISP/backbone router level and its too complex to explain here. My use of the word asynchronous might easily been confused with asymmetric referring to DSL technology (generic term), more properly A(symmetric)DSL faster down than up or S(ymmetric)DSL same speed up/down.

I'm not sure but it sounds like you are experiencing packet loss? Usually this is severe in on Wifi in densely populated areas, but your cabled. Next the hop from your home router (via telephone copper?) to your local exchange box can be an issue (wind affecting the cable terminals, power line interference etc.) though even of the cable is old, it may be ok. With the aforementioned, packet loss will happen to any site but may be intermittent or not be very noticeable until your doing VoIP or trying to get a quality data stream. Few realise it happens on internet router level also.. so you can have no loss to one site while simultaneously having severe problems to another on a different route. I recall a post written by a guy in Oz who could not figure why his Rythmic & IQ maybe? feeds were always fine but CQG was dying every few minutes.

If you open a command prompt (XP or above has the PathPing command and its far more (reliably) diagnostic than ping or tracert on the internet (but not perfect). Test to say CQG's gateway in Chicago (approx same location as Sam's VPS servers):
pathping 208.48.16.130
(takes a few minutes, you can make it run longer if needed)

It should ideally be all 0/100 packets lost, if you get a 100/100 on one hop, thats not abnormal but ~25 or 70/100 etc. on a few hops is showing too many dropped packets and this can really mess things up. Now sometimes some packet loss happens, its normal but severity is the issue and its not noticable to normal websites. Repeat it your own data supplier's IP particularly when you are getting hangs etc and to a known reliable host at the same time in another command prompt, say to microsoft .com. You should see where the problems are in the results.

Speedtest .net does I recall check for jitter & dropped packets these days but not for long enough to show up intermittent issues and no use to a specific address.

Personally I would:
a. Contact my ISP if your on ADSL and see if they can upgrade to SDSL, it may not be expensive and while you may still be on 6Mbit, its in both directions which makes a huge difference. Get a new DSL filter (cheap, they do 'wear out') or try running without it.
b. Make certain nobody is seeding torrents or such at home, ADSL might only be giving 512Kb uplink on ADSL (with 6 down) and you need up bandwidth to acknowledge packets or your download speed crashes.
Failing that:
c. Get a newer router if SDSL not available, your Speedtouch is elderly and in all likelihood could be improved on. ISPs usually don't care as long as the third party box is configured as they instruct.
d. If you get a new router ask your ISP to do an exchange speed test again. ADSL/SDSL has to be tested for maximum reliable speed on telephone lines and this happens in the first few days when you are connected. Thats why they say not to switch off the box for a few days after install.
e. (Longshot) Finally, You can have ok bandwidth (your 6Mb should be useable for data download) but excessive packet loss ruins everything. However.. while a proxy VPN won't help make a 6Mb line any faster, should the packet loss not be originating in your rural copper telephone wire but down the line at the internet routers level (this happens more often than people realise) the proxy VPN could provide a different route with no loss. Bit of a low chance of success here but maybe. Probably better to ask your ISP about the route issue than muck about with this for long.

Sorry, went on a bit

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Superdoug3 
Vernon, BC, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Charts
Broker: Zaner Group (Transact)
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 113
Thanks Received: 64

Rory View Post
I noticed Superdoug3 you thanked me minutes.

Wow - Karma coming back to me for 1 thank-you issued.
I did the pingtest to chicago as suggested - 7 hops and all 100/0% on a 175 second test.

My ISP will not upgrade me to SDSL unless I have 15 Mbps package, which is not supported in my area (rural B.C.)
My ISP told me my Speetouch is a great router and that the router is not my problem
My ISP told me 6 Mbps is more than adequate for charting. (not what Transact tech told me)

I told my ISP that I have had maybe 100 BSOD and he suggested that I need to reformat and re-load Win7. Again, updating my BIOS seems to have fixed BSOD. He suggested in absence of reformat I could try Advanced System Care 7, then Combo Fix (both free) on my existing OS.

BUT I am reluctant to reformat my OS. Don't fix what ain't broke philosophy. For some reason, my screen freezes have almost disappeared. Perhaps that Karma thing again.
I am a bit of a tech geek and do appreciate your detailed feedback

Rory

I hardly had to click my mouse today as my VPS bot is performing like a charm, I could not have done better manually trading and its so much better for my ego to be able to blame the computer for any bad trades. he he.

No blinding headache making 50+ points on the ES (wow, and the day's not over).. though its the best day I have seen on the instrument. Its still a baby so I'm closely monitoring when the strategy is running but only occasionally saving its ass with manual override. That will change of course on the next non-trending day so more programming!

Still smiling

Just to respond to @Superdoug3

Good news re: PathPing command test, no problem to the VPS then if CQG's gateway is showing no loss. I had a feeling I was doing 'to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail' with packet loss etc.

Indeed, the OS/App/drivers are the first suspect in such freezing behaviour and patches make older kit more stable in time. Ninjatrader 7 is ok but prone to leaks causing increasingly unstable behaviour so hopefully your trading platform is better. It would be nice if it was able to housekeep memory properly but I guess there are indicators I need to get re-written. I reboot my laptop every day to to be safe which is a blast from the past. Sam's VPS using Server 2008 R2 does seem vastly more stable. Win7 is largely the same architecture as 2008 so a lot could be down to the completely clean install on the VPS. I have no doubt that 2008 R2 is slightly better for Ninjatrader's stability though.

You could just buy a new HDD and take your time loading Win7 at weekends, keeping any bloatware and unecessary drivers out. At least you have an emergency backup disk available to swap even if it made no difference? I will take a while to fully patch on 6Mb, I appreciate its not an appealing task and maybe if it ain't broke as you say.

Pity about the SDSL but maybe they have ADSL2+ coming in your area at some stage. Your ISPs comments about the Speedtouch are fair, they are very common and stable. Though.. I have Thompson's 4-5 in a box in the garage which means they got swapped out.. but if it works. I like to reload compatible routers (ADSL2 capable) with DD-WRT firmware and muck about with MTUs etc. I always used to get an extra 10-20% performance (stable of course) but used Draytech kit at work (mostly for the name/VPN feature though). AN unnecessary rabbit hole I expect. I'm a trader now and must leave my old technical ubergeekery drift into memories

Best of luck.

Superdoug3 
Vernon, BC, Canada

Rory View Post
Good news re: PathPing command test.

Congratulations on your bot. 50 pts. in ES is amazing.
I did a pathping to my FCM (Transact) - 12 hops and 100/0% - so happy with that.
I ran ComboFix - this is basically a virus scanner, it didn't find anything out of order.
I am not running on a VPS at the moment - I am running Transact with Sierra Charts from my home computer.
I envy the bot developers, but bots require a lot of work too, so I stick with manual Price Action - I am SIM trading on NQ and it was basically a big trading range today.

Rory

Superdoug3 View Post
I envy the bot developers, but bots require a lot of work too, so I stick with manual Price Action

Yes indeed, price action is my base too. I agree, don't go there with bots if your happy manually trading. Its a dangerous distraction but you could amuse yourself learning with SharkIndicator's Bloodhound and have a use for VPS in time maybe.

Its kind of bot-lego for non-programmers. Not responsible for my bot which was handwritten by a friendly C# developer and still very primitive, got lucky today though. I only just found it last week but so far I'm surprisingly impressed. There is a whole thread on BigMike about it.. that I completely missed for months.

Regarding the karma you mentioned, yes a good day however I give most of the money away to charity so maybe that helps with the odd big day? I don't need much for myself and live simply, maybe a bit of travel.

I decided to go algo as I had a bad head injury in 2011, long before I found trading. I'm 95% ok but sometimes when tired I have a minor cognitive glitch just as I'm about to make a trade so partial or full automation seemed sensible.

Odd how life gives you everything just after you realise you don't need it anymore.

Superdoug3 
Vernon, BC, Canada

Rory View Post
Yes indeed, price action is my base too. I agree, don't go there with bots if your happy manually trading. Its a dangerous distraction but you could amuse yourself learning with SharkIndicator's Bloodhound and have a use for VPS in time maybe.

Its kind of bot-lego for non-programmers. Not responsible for my bot which was handwritten by a friendly C# developer and still very primitive, got lucky today though. I only just found it last week but so far I'm surprisingly impressed. There is a whole thread on BigMike about it.. that I completely missed for months.

Regarding the karma you mentioned, yes a good day however I give most of the money away to charity so maybe that helps with the odd big day? I don't need much for myself and live simply, maybe a bit of travel.

I decided to go algo as I had a bad head injury in 2011, long before I found trading. I'm 95% ok but sometimes when tired I have a minor cognitive glitch just as I'm about to make a trade so partial or full automation seemed sensible.

Odd how life gives you everything just after you realise you don't need it anymore.

Yes - Sharky has a lot of good indicators on NT and some of his indicators have been ported to Sierra Chart. I would like to take advantage of the logo method on NT but will stick with Sierra Chart for now. I was told C# would take me years to learn and I don't have years left although Sierra Chart does have an alternate method that uses Excel I may try if Bloodhound has been ported.

thank-you for sharing about your life - I have just enough to live on and like you I don't really want much more. My goal would be to give most of my profits to Kiva. As for brain injury, a dear friend hit a black cow while motorcycling at night and now he has plenty of money but a lot less enjoyment of life because of his brain injury. Sounds like you had a pretty good recovery.

Rory

Not to labour the point as I'm sure your happy with SierraCharts but I missed this also. Sharkey and Shark Indicators (a company, unless he owns it!) are different things. Bloodhound is an NT indicator true, but not really. It basically plays the code written by their very clever, largely graphical design module. You can set all kinds of logic, detections etc. on most any indicator. Once prototyped in Bloodhound it can be used as a strategy directly via their 'Raven' strategy module. Its seems unique in what it does.

Sympathies about your friend, I nearly had a terminal night-cow encounter on a motorbike in India in my time. Well lots of nearly fatal stuff but thats India for you. My brain is fine thanks, just I get a moment of hesitation when I suddenly don't quite comprehend what I see for a few seconds. I trade fast tick charts (89,233 etc.) and its mentally exhausing very quickly. Goodnight from Ireland, tomorrow should be good.

Superdoug3 
Vernon, BC, Canada

Rory View Post
Not to labour the point as I'm sure your happy with SierraCharts but I missed this also. Sharkey and Shark Indicators (a company, unless he owns it!) are different things. Bloodhound is an NT indicator true, but not really. It basically plays the code written by their very clever, largely graphical design module. You can set all kinds of logic, detections etc. on most any indicator. Once prototyped in Bloodhound it can be used as a strategy directly via their 'Raven' strategy module. Its seems unique in what it does.

Sympathies about your friend, I nearly had a terminal night-cow encounter on a motorbike in India in my time. Well lots of nearly fatal stuff but thats India for you. My brain is fine thanks, just I get a moment of hesitation when I suddenly don't quite comprehend what I see for a few seconds. I trade fast tick charts (89,233 etc.) and its mentally exhausing very quickly. Goodnight from Ireland, tomorrow should be good.

Thank-you, I put Bloodhound in my day trading notes folder, but finding and testing a bot that works requires a lot of discipline.
I borrowed a BMW from someone in Lake District and toured Ireland with my wife about 5 years ago. I spent 3 months going all over India in 1979, it is one of the few places I would consider visiting again if money showed up. I too trade Tick charts 500T in NQ and 60-120 minutes is about all I can do in a go.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Other threads on futures.io (formerly BMT) for bloodhound. Use this thread solely for speedy reviews or questions please.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

I thought I'd share with you my experience with a VPS (Virutal Private Server) for trading...

Normally in my trading, I am at or near my PC all the time, watching many automated strategies. And, I have a VERY stable and reliable internet connection - I think it has gone down only 1, maybe 2, times in the past year - for very short periods of time. Finally, my strategies are "slow" - latency and time delays of even a few seconds are not a big deal to me, so having my strategies co-located or near the exchange servers is not a requirement. Any one of these is a very good reasons to have a VPS, since it can help with all of these issues.

But, as time marches one, I have been travelling more, and trading more automated strategies. The travel part is the big thing. I have found myself being away from my home computer more and more, so having my strategies run on a VPS becomes much easier. I still have to check things once in a while, but it is nice being with my kids on Splash Mountain at Disneyworld, for example, and still have my strategies running on a VPS.

(Here I am in the first row, thinking about how my strategies are running fine on the VPS while I have fun...)

When I realized I needed a VPS, I did some research, and settled on Speedy Trading Servers ( Speedy Trading Servers | trading servers). I already knew the owner, Sam, from nexusfi.com (formerly BMT), and I knew what a reliable, helpful and trustworthy person he is. That made my decision a lot easier. His VPS solution has turned out to be a really good service for me.

Right now, I am using the medium VPS service, https://ninjatrader.com/, and it works really well (although I think I am starting to bump up with the memory limits, and may need to go the next step higher sometime soon). It is affordable and reliable. That is a key combination for me! I only use it when I am travelling, but I would feel comfortable running it all the time. Someday soon I might do just that.

In short, I am very, very happy with Speedy Trading Servers.

If you find yourself needing a VPS for your trading, definitely take a look at speedytradingservers.com.

Thanks Sam!

Follow me on Twitter

Last Updated on December 12, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts