NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

tastytrade.com

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one suko with 8 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two Cloudy with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 gfmatt with 4 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Leon of Pizza with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Cloudy with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 suko with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 43,121 views
    2. thumb_up 70 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 61 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

tastytrade.com

mscholder 
Incline Village + NV or elsewhere in the world

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: E*Trade, TOS, IB & T'wrks
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 28

Hi Nate and Casey44,

I don't want to start an argument, but other traders, particularly those new to options, may want to see this dialogue and get a perspective about Tastytrade's educational material. The Tastytrade presentations are attractive and interesting, but as indicated below, there may be some significant inconsistencies, so consider a little caution when taking their advice.

It is unusual that in their 2016 videos and currently on the relevant webpage Tastytrade recommends managing regular iron condors (ICs) and now at the end of 2017 they say don't do it. They should update their website to remove the apparently erroneous material about trying to manage ICs.

BACKGROUND

There is a link below to a Tastytrade primer on Iron Condors, which includes the statement on rolling:
https://tastytrade.com/tt/learn/iron-condor

"When do we manage Iron Condors?
We manage iron condors by adjusting the untested side, or profitable side of the spread. We look to roll the untested spread closer to the stock price to collect more premium. We can go as far as rolling our untested spread to the same short strike as our tested spread, which creates an iron fly."

There are some videos on the topic, see

https://tastytrade.com/tt/shows/mike-and-his-whiteboard/episodes/3-iron-condor-adjustments-03-22-2016

Today (12-5-17) in the Best Practices segment entitled "Mechanics to Defend", Tom Sosnoff said that statistics show that one SHOULD NOT manage an Iron Condor, just accept the initial trade probabilities if the trade goes against you.

PERSPECTIVE

I just happened to see the Mechanics to Defend segment today, noted the BIG DISCREPANCY, and thought that I should point it out.

There were no good details in either the 2016 video or in the Mechanics to Defend segment to clearly establish whether one should or should not manage an IC. Nor did Tom Sosnoff point out in the Mechanics to Defend segment today that their position has changed.

I don't expect perfection from anyone and I do not have the time or interest in vetting their website and all of their current and archived shows to confirm whether this is the only significant inconsistency. Newer option traders, like me, may want to be cautious with Tastytrade advice.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

nathanologist 
Burlington, Vermont

Experience: Beginner
Platform: StockTwits
Broker: Robinhood
Trading: ES, GC, ZB
Thanks Given: 879
Thanks Received: 781

It's not a discrepancy per se.
1) If statistics prove their methods wrong, they change. To me that is not a bad thing it's a good thing.
2) There is a difference between a classic 1/3 width in premium IC vs. Wide IC (synthetic strangle) and the way you manage it is different.

Their content needs some management for a certainty. They don't do a great job of organising and much if the older material is not clearly written.

What they try to do is educate on mechanics of options trading and present ideas and research to keep traders engaged. Definitely their opinions and perspective is biased toward the lead characters of the shows. If somebody's looking for a Holy Grail strategy (i.e. one that works in all market conditions 100% of the time) Tastytrade is not that. But, if you want to trade options and don't know where to start, you can get a really good practical knowledge of the structure, theory and mechanics of various options strategies for free there.

Nate
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 9, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts