NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

the easy edge for beginner traders

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one creekboy with 1,035 posts (301 thanks)
    2. looks_two Allistah with 36 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rad4633 with 35 posts (18 thanks)
    4. looks_4 lolu with 25 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one cory with 0.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rad4633 with 0.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 creekboy with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Allistah with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 157,061 views
    2. thumb_up 378 thanks given
    3. group 47 followers
    1. forum 1,240 posts
    2. attach_file 927 attachments

Search this Thread

the easy edge for beginner traders

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

Experience: Advanced
Platform: tos
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 347

pivot 1309.90

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 creekboy 
phl pa. usa

pivot moved to 1308.93-

nice 3 to 4 tick entry zone per chart -on the scalper trade

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-11-TOS_CHARTS.png-5.png
Views:	157
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	77056  
Thanked by:
 creekboy 
phl pa. usa

the chart above is what you are waiting for to happen - there are millions of these setups -so if it does not pan out -have patience and wait for the next 1- and if you want to keep a tight stop -when you get a run up like off the 1305.50 area -calculate your pull back so your loss limit works -thus if the low is
1306.75 entry on the p/b -with a stop at 1305.25

leaves 6 tick loss -if ma's are showing weakness than you can jump with and even tighter loss -

but remember -when trading multiples -do them in even lots and create free trade agreements with yourself

so the 1306.75 entry = 1/2 off at 7 ticks 1308.50 -

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

pivot is now inline with high s/r off the 1310 top on the lesser chart

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

my closing pivot is at 1306

john2000 
Chicago, IL

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, TOS
Broker: Amp Futures/CQG/IB
Trading: ES, ZB, ZN, Forex
Thanks Given: 244
Thanks Received: 59

Creekboy,

Thanks for all the posts. I can barely keep up just reading them . . . keep it up. I need to go back a few pages and see the content . . .

John

john2000 
Chicago, IL

So here's something I've noticed in terms of the changes to the MA values . . . you may be doing it intuitively, or may be there's a formula, etc. etc. (not important how) but in terms of back testing, how do you keep track of the systems' performance?

What do you offer the 15 year old helper as a clue, that, hey, it's now time to look at a different MA value?

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

john2000 View Post
So here's something I've noticed in terms of the changes to the MA values . . . you may be doing it intuitively, or may be there's a formula, etc. etc. (not important how) but in terms of back testing, how do you keep track of the systems' performance?

What do you offer the 15 year old helper as a clue, that, hey, it's now time to look at a different MA value?

John2000 - if you check at the beginning of the sept es -how i find the pattern that i feel works -i test it - was happy with the results -so will run it -i only have 5 days of data to refer to -and have come to accept that -so being that is has worked for years -on all markets -i find it helpful to dial it in as i did -just as the volume started to build -

i have back tested this pattern on all stocks and it works just fine for flipping options -but i dont understand all the greeks that go with options -but still killed it when using this pattern -

oil - beans -- currency -- its all ups and downs and floating end trendlines - top and bottom math is a different ball game that i wont be trapped into discussing -

this entire thread is to show new traders it can be done -

thats the bottom line -

we all are greedy when we start -but its the little bites and lots of them at the right time that build the pile -

today was tough -bringing in fresh fingers -and trying to make a go of it - but 4 trades and he was up 80 dollars -he was happy - being the first trade he was up 112 --

remember 195.50 is the goal for 5 days and we are not even 1/2 way there with 4 days to go -

any overage is just a buffer for the future -

time will tell

have you ever hit the wrong side of the ladder chart when you were new john2000 -

or give yourself a target and watch it hit it to the tick and the understudy not get out -frustrating to say the least

thats why all goals are minor amounts over time will pay off -

hope this helps

Thanked by:

john2000 
Chicago, IL

Creekboy,

Thanks for expanding. I find it interesting that you go based on 5 days of data for backtesting. I think I over-analyze and tend to look at more days, which I know it's been one of my issues with consistent results. But I mostly do it to get longer term support and resistence levels. I guess, in someways, there's something to the short trade history, in that one is able to deal with the most recent history, which is most relevant.

This may explain why I sometimes when I'm away from my computer and look at 5 day charts from CNBC site and based on their stripped down charts, can make better decisions.

Thanks for the insight.

creekboy View Post
John2000 - if you check at the beginning of the sept es -how i find the pattern that i feel works -i test it - was happy with the results -so will run it -i only have 5 days of data to refer to -and have come to accept that -so being that is has worked for years -on all markets -i find it helpful to dial it in as i did -just as the volume started to build -

i have back tested this pattern on all stocks and it works just fine for flipping options -but i dont understand all the greeks that go with options -but still killed it when using this pattern -

oil - beans -- currency -- its all ups and downs and floating end trendlines - top and bottom math is a different ball game that i wont be trapped into discussing -

this entire thread is to show new traders it can be done -

thats the bottom line -

we all are greedy when we start -but its the little bites and lots of them at the right time that build the pile -

today was tough -bringing in fresh fingers -and trying to make a go of it - but 4 trades and he was up 80 dollars -he was happy - being the first trade he was up 112 --

remember 195.50 is the goal for 5 days and we are not even 1/2 way there with 4 days to go -

any overage is just a buffer for the future -

time will tell

have you ever hit the wrong side of the ladder chart when you were new john2000 -

or give yourself a target and watch it hit it to the tick and the understudy not get out -frustrating to say the least

hope this helps

john2000 
Chicago, IL

Oh, . . . and as far as hitting the wrong thing when new . . . It's funny, I still sometimes do it. Did a rookie mistake just today. Hit the Sell ASK, got filled almost immediately, but somehow I hit the Close button, and got myself out of the ES position as the market tanked at the end. I've learned to not get as frustrated anymore about it, although sometimes I still do. But today I was too distracted by it to just hit Sell again. I had an OK day earlier and decided not do anymore trades, after that mistake, and give back profits.

creekboy View Post

hope this helps

Last Updated on June 27, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts