NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

the easy edge for beginner traders

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one creekboy with 1,035 posts (301 thanks)
    2. looks_two Allistah with 36 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rad4633 with 35 posts (18 thanks)
    4. looks_4 lolu with 25 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one cory with 0.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rad4633 with 0.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 creekboy with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Allistah with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 157,845 views
    2. thumb_up 378 thanks given
    3. group 47 followers
    1. forum 1,240 posts
    2. attach_file 927 attachments

Search this Thread

the easy edge for beginner traders

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

Experience: Advanced
Platform: tos
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 347

For Alli-

Here's another example of how the low drew itself up to the magnet.

NYSOM

:when you cheat -you only cheat yourself
refer to post # 470 & 527 & 930
option traders refer to post 996 thru 1005
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 creekboy 
phl pa. usa

Here's another example on how a magnet works. Notice the blue oval on the bottom of the page, which is the low. We drew a price level from the top left blue oval to the right blue oval to show how the magnet was completed. The blue dotted line is just to show you the length of the trend. Keep in mind that this set up started Monday and completed today, Thursday.
NYSOM

Allistah
Bay Area, CA

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 64

Thanks for the explanation. That helps a lot.

Now that I'm watching this on the chart live, what should I be looking for as far as an entry goes?

Lets say that things are moving up and price is above the trend line like it is right now on the 1h /ES chart.

At what point is a short triggered?

The reason I ask this is because I've seen price move below the trend line and then pop up above it again and make a new high which would have been a loss. So breaking a trend line by itself is not enough to go short.

Allistah
Bay Area, CA

Ok, I've done some testing on the 30m charts. I have a few questions now that I've marked the chart all up.

1) It is often where signals are triggered in after market hours. What do you do when a trigger came in during the night?

2) Lets say you are now long and the first bar is the highest after the MA cross. The MA drops below the trend line and after 2 bars you get out for a loss. The two MA lines however never cross and it moves on to make a new high. D you get back in long at any point or do you sit out until you get a short signal?

Thanks,

-Alli

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

thanks for your questions

pic of overview

pic 1-note high bar - i use a horizontal bar to give me a time balance to see when possible break would be --also we took the short at 1st signal but market tracked higher -we use a 15 point stop on our pivot short term swing trades so we were still in this trade - you could exit and wait for next setup

pic -2
same situation from last night red bar gives best guess for time and distance

Allistah View Post
Ok, I've done some testing on the 30m charts. I have a few questions now that I've marked the chart all up.

1) It is often where signals are triggered in after market hours. What do you do when a trigger came in during the night?

2) Lets say you are now long and the first bar is the highest after the MA cross. The MA drops below the trend line and after 2 bars you get out for a loss. The two MA lines however never cross and it moves on to make a new high. D you get back in long at any point or do you sit out until you get a short signal?

Thanks,

-Alli

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

very quiet week - 30 min pivot chart update - banked 16 points per contract traded - i believe that is 4 weeks in a row with 16 points or better for this system - we are currently short form 1412 area with a 15 point stop - we did have a long signal but the 1 trendline was flat and weak -so we stayed in the trade to - we are currently as of this posting 3 points in the red on this trade

Allistah
Bay Area, CA

Ok, I've got my charts all set up with what I want to do for now. I've decided that I'm going to start with a 1 day and a 1h chart. If the 1 day chart is long, then I will only take long trades on the 1h chart. I'm sure this will generate a few more questions but this is going to be my starting point. I spent all day yesterday until around 11pm working on playing around with the charts on my watch list. We will see what this coming week brings me. :-)

Allistah
Bay Area, CA

creekboy View Post
very quiet week - 30 min pivot chart update - banked 16 points per contract traded - i believe that is 4 weeks in a row with 16 points or better for this system - we are currently short form 1412 area with a 15 point stop - we did have a long signal but the 1 trendline was flat and weak -so we stayed in the trade to - we are currently as of this posting 3 points in the red on this trade

I set up this exact chart trying to understand exactly what was happening so I can get a better handle on this strategy and it looks like the high at Thursday at 1:30 am (EST) would have been the high. Splitting at that point, it gave an exit signal around 5:30 to 6:00 am (EST).

At 8:30am (EST), it had an equal high which caused the trend line to move which then made it so that the trade was still long, but you would have gotten out before this if it was live data.

I see this happen numerous times in the charts that I'm studying myself. What is the best way to deal with a long trade that gives an exit but then moves on to new highs which makes the exit signal you previously took invalid?

Thanks,

-Alli

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

there is no greater time in a traders life -then when a real plan comes together -

Allistah View Post
Ok, I've got my charts all set up with what I want to do for now. I've decided that I'm going to start with a 1 day and a 1h chart. If the 1 day chart is long, then I will only take long trades on the 1h chart. I'm sure this will generate a few more questions but this is going to be my starting point. I spent all day yesterday until around 11pm working on playing around with the charts on my watch list. We will see what this coming week brings me. :-)

creekboy 
phl pa. usa

I see this happen numerous times in the charts that I'm studying myself. What is the best way to deal with a long trade that gives an exit but then moves on to new highs which makes the exit signal you previously took invalid?

this is why we run a 15 point stop - i know some will have a hard time justifing it - but we are up better than 68 points in 4 weeks on this swing pattern -3400 per contract traded (10,000) or 34% for the last month-

also the thursday area your question is concerning - we were holding the 1400 level and based on our pivot method it was best we held the position

Last Updated on June 27, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts