NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

8% per week

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sailingman with 10 posts (15 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ThatManFromTexas with 3 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 researcher247 with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ThatManFromTexas with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Lornz with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 sailingman with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,451 views
    2. thumb_up 53 thanks given
    3. group 14 followers
    1. forum 29 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

8% per week

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,775
Thanks Received: 18,223

sailingman View Post
This is about exactly what trades I am taking and why to hold me accountable. I am not there yet, but I know I will be because I can. I do not put other people's dreams down, and I would appreciate if that does not happen here.

There, I said it.

More power to you my friend. I certainly want you to reach your goals; I love reading the successes of others here on the forum; they help pick me up when I have down moments, and helps me "celebrate along" with them when I have similar celebratory moments. And belief in what we're doing is probably the most important thing we can have, for without it, we have no chance to push through the rough times. But trading is not about warm fuzzies; it's about cold, hard, boring, risk management. The simple math is that to achieve very large returns (which 8% average per week is), one must assume very large risk. So many people talk about how much they can make, and don't mention how much they risk in so doing. But, it sounds from your post that you have a risk management plan, so good luck and keep us posted!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,603

Congrats on taking the step of starting a journal.

But I have to at least say, you should set yourself up for success instead of failure. Part of that is having a realistic goal.

Based on post #6, it seems more realistic to set your goal to 2% per week and this will also make you happy to hit this goal, while if you still exceed it you will be 'very happy'.

This is just how I think, I understand setting goals but I advocate making them attainable. If you set unrealistic goals then you will possibly make unwise choices trying to get to them.

So bottom line, if you think 8% per week, week over week, is a realistic goal - then it is of course your choice, your money, and your journal. But if you think 8% per week is a pipe dream, it might be best to set a more realistic goal from the beginning.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

I've never understood why people set such profit targets... Are you planning on trading a variety of methods and be able to predict future volatility, or lack thereof?

Returns are asymmetric (at least in my corner of reality); weekly targets are detrimental to trading success. It's important to take advantage of opportunity when it presents itself, but one shouldn't try to force it into existence.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Nicolas11 
near Paris, France

Experience: Beginner
Platform: -
Trading: -
Thanks Given: 2,232
Thanks Received: 1,769

Lornz View Post
I've never understood why people set such profit targets... Are you planning on trading a variety of methods and be able to predict future volatility, or lack thereof?

Returns are asymmetric (at least in my corner of reality); weekly targets are detrimental to trading success. It's important to take advantage of opportunity when it presents itself, but one shouldn't try to force it into existence.

Hi @Lornz,

When trading is performed as a business, it does not seem so strange to have a kind of target, above which the business is viable, and under which it is not.

Of course, markets are what they are. And consistent profitability is difficult. But why not have a target in mind and statistically compare one's performance with it on the long run?

Nicolas

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

Nicolas11 View Post
Hi @Lornz,

When trading is performed as a business, it does not seem so strange to have a kind of target, above which the business is viable, and under which it is not.

Of course, markets are what they are. And consistent profitability is difficult. But why not have a target in mind and statistically compare one's performance with it on the long run?

Nicolas

Disregarding the fact that 8% a week is delusional, it is a fact that the market doesn't present an equal amount of opportunity each week. This means that a fixed goal usually leads to trading too much when one shouldn't, and not enough when one should trade more. There are benchmarks one can compare one's trading to, but that's very different from what the OP is describing. He just bought an automatic system and expects to make 8% a week. Sounds like brilliant plan to me!

Trading is about managing risk, not forcing returns.

Sunil P 
los angeles

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nt
Trading: cl

I wish I could project 8% a week on CL consistantly but delusions of grandeurs is Not what this game is about.

Dog days of summer are coming also,I would like to see anybodys EC that would match that number...IMHO

Fats I see you bashing our national game?

Its ok,I dont like it anymore,lost interest in the late 80's. King Fusball is the national game now,no not Soccer!

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,371

The problem with setting lofty goals is that you will subconsciously set yourself up to to take unnecessary risks to achieve these goals. It will most certainly affect your decision making process as you notice these goals come in and out of jeopardy of being met. You can't force a method to give you more then it is capable of, nor force the market to give you what you expect. You have to work within the limits of your method and the volatility of the market.

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,353

You can be successful trading like a business ... all you need to do is...

... develop a business plan with specific performance objectives ,adequate auditing to ensure adherence to the plan and a rewards/penalty program for meeting or failing to meet set goals ...do the statistical analysis to determine production quotas ... install iron fisted controls to manage the program

1. Assign yourself a quota

2. If you fail to meet your quota ... put yourself on probation

3. If results don't improve ... require yourself to write progress reports everyday

4. If results still do not improve ... have a meeting with yourself to discuss how to help yourself to meet the quotas (note, this is just to cover your ass with human resources .. the decision has already been made to fire yourself)

5. Run ads on Craigslist offering a position as a trader with unlimited earning potential that provides a proven method to enable success

Dang ... now those guys from Wharton or Sloan are gonna steal this and pass it off as their own...

Disclaimer: This post does not represent the view point of the owners, managers, or moderators of this web site and is not intended as a slam against any moderator, board member, any banned former members whose name we dare not say, any other living person, any recently living person or any person or persons whose status we are not sure of and especially not for any platform vendor with a questionable product and a pit bull lawyer. This post is meant purely for entertainment and should not be confused with a real thought. Nor should I be held responsible for feeble attempts at humor at your expense.

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"

Mickey Caine 
Kent, England

Platform: Sierra
Broker: Infinity
Trading: Oil
Thanks Given: 1,605
Thanks Received: 354

Is it delussional or a pipe dream to aim to take on average 16 ticks a day out of oil? Based on a $10k account and trading one contract that equates to 8% per week I believe.

There appears to me to be quite a few traders on this forum who may well be getting in excess of that (tick wise). If you compund your profits it would of course become more difficult, however I believe the OP did say he was looking to withdraw his gains on a regular basis. I would think that was an achivable goal for an experienced trader. But I have been wrong before.

Anyway, good luck Mr Sailingman, I hope you trade in calm waters and with a favourable wind.

Thanked by:

sailingman 
ravensdale wa/USA

Platform: Tadestation
Broker: Trade Station
Trading: Ag Futures, GBP, Crude
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 16

Thanks for all your kind words! I love crude but the risk-reward is better for smaller accounts in the grains.

Wheat looks like it will have a good day today. I will post my trade (s) later.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 10, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts