NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A CL Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Upupandaway with 107 posts (95 thanks)
    2. looks_two PandaWarrior with 18 posts (33 thanks)
    3. looks_3 iTrade2golf with 18 posts (38 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 15 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Private Banker with 4.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 iTrade2golf with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Upupandaway with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 40,493 views
    2. thumb_up 360 thanks given
    3. group 24 followers
    1. forum 215 posts
    2. attach_file 157 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

A CL Trading Journal

SteveH
Orlando, Florida, USA

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 104

David_R View Post
Can you share how you learned to enter to enable a 10 t stop?

A regression-based moving average has worked well for me when the volatility is good.

Pull up a 25 regression slope MA (aka 25 least-squares moving average) on that 150T CL chart. It helps me to get in on quick pullbacks AND find places to take reversals. Study it and you'll see what I mean. You can see from that that a 10 tick stop is plenty of room to give you more than 10 ticks on the winners. Stick around 50% winners and you'll be golden. On a 150T CL chart, if you get price closing to the other side by 5+ ticks, you should be looking to get out (whether it's on initial entry or picking up a pullback).

The 34 ema works well with the 25 lsma for 1 type of reversal setup. For example, in an uptrend, price rolls over and pulls back to the 34. You get a bounce and and a quick tap up to the 25 lsma and the down move continues (vice versa for a reversal to an uptrend. It's a great 1-2-3 type setup where you're looking to get in on the "2" at the 25 lsma. Really, 7 ticks is enough in this setup and you DON'T want price to close up through that 25 lsma for anything more than 2-3 ticks and then a quick about-face in your direction.

The 25 lsma provides a good visual at picking double tops and bottoms because, by the very nature of how it moves (regression-based), consolidation of price moves through the MA sideways where the 25 is covering the leading top of price (in an uptrend, vice verse on a downtrend) and that is the ideal place with low risk and high reward to take the reversal. A 5-6 tick stop is good in these setups.

One important thing (for me). If you're going to try this, you need to make your price bars BIG. First off, you can clearly see the setups and, secondly, it has a larger positive impact on your emotions to remind yourself to do the right things. Each of these posted pics actually take up a 24" screen.

The 150T CL chart is an excellent chart for this kind of trading. Step through historical charts, bar-by-bar, not seeing the future and train yourself to act at the appropriate times because none of this stuff "feels" right in real-time. That's why it's easy to see/understand and not so easy to execute.

[As a trending visual I'll color that line green if the last 3 closes have been successively higher, color it red if the last 3 closes have been successively lower and, otherwise, color it yellow.]

This is no special day today on the CL. You can go back over 2 years of 150 tick charts and you'll still see the same low tick risk, limit order entry setups for this style of trading. The majority of moves with no significant pullback are in the 12-20 tick area. That's why I said before that a 5-7 tick stop is not only doable but extremely important so that you can survive in this game even if your winning pct dips closer to 40% than 50%+.

IMO, don't waste your time looking for setups over 60% winners. The risk/reward ratio goes more towards 1:1 (and lower) as the winning pct goes higher. This puts a lot of pressure on your trading to maintain a high success rate and that's harder to do consistently for us emotional humans. If you start with a trading system which doesn't demand high winning pcts to begin with yet has small losses built-in to it (this post, for example), then that's where you get to experience a few good trades making your day and all those little losers just don't matter so much.

David, you asked for it and here they are. I rarely post here so this is about it for me. I've been doing this for 9 years so this is coming from the vault of GOOD things in my trading.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 Upupandaway 
Dallas/Tx

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL Crude Oil
Thanks Given: 168
Thanks Received: 166

Right ok thank you then. I am using a 8 range chart to have a ten tick stop on the CL. But sometimes it's larger. Also what is working for me is paying attention to the swings. Then I can look for my trades in and around what does and does not happen. Failed to swing, made the swing high, didn't really push through it. That stuff all works. Trend lines work, but get blown out on a lot of occasions. I have a regression channel up but removed it becaues it made me stick with a trade that was turning bad.

I still do all the same trades. But just recently I've given more focus to when prices fails to make a high, or it does make the high. Anyways...I'd of done great yesterday and today.

Good luck

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (150 Tick)  9_18_2012.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	89386   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (150 Tick)  9_18_2012 1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	89387   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (150 Tick)  9_18_2012 3.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	89388   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	89389  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:
 Upupandaway 
Dallas/Tx

This is just a visual of what I'm focusing more on. So far it's helped alot, keep me on the right side of the trade more than not.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	faliures.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	89391  
 Upupandaway 
Dallas/Tx

Tuesday Sept 18 plus 3900

Ok so focusing on the swings and faliure of swings really helped me keep it straight. Helped keep me trading in the correct direction. Because when you think about it, swings are going to be broken, and bounced off of, and not made, and that all creates a opportunity to make money. So I did good today...

I just realized I posted this twice, so if you think your seeing double your not lol

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sd.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	89430   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (150 Tick)  9_18_2012.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	89431   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (150 Tick)  9_18_2012 1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	89432   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (150 Tick)  9_18_2012 3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	89433  
Thanked by:
 samadams 
savannah, ga us

Experience: Master
Platform: Phone
Trading: Anything that is exhibiting Clarity

Upupandaway View Post
In the below picture I dont see a pull back to any degree. I entered because I believed it was going to continue up before having a pull back to a greater degree. I kow the MACD is in conflict with what else is happening alot of the time. I try to remedy this by all the MA, and such.

I know I would like to get rid of the MACD, but it's what I use to signal a trade. If not the MACD then what? Whats your suggestion? Just price action? Change to 5 minute chart? Thanks

Old topic, had to chime on this. That little microbuying channel on the open was a nice scalping opp. Just had to.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
 Upupandaway 
Dallas/Tx

Big mike do I just request that this jounal be closed? Not really sure, but if that is how would you please close it?

Thank you

Closed Thread

Last Updated on February 6, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts