NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Introduce yourself here!

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 147 posts (3,963 thanks)
    2. looks_two nakachalet with 57 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xplorer with 45 posts (51 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 35 posts (24 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one roonius with 80 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wh with 56 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 George with 46.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 27 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,185,061 views
    2. thumb_up 11,973 thanks given
    3. group 6,308 followers
    1. forum 10,635 posts
    2. attach_file 94 attachments

Search this Thread

Introduce yourself here!

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

sharky View Post
no automated system is out there that can make money you have to learn to trade your own account...sharky

This is completely untrue. I've sent BigMike 2 equity curves of systems I trade. I've got one more that is mechnical but I don't automate it because it uses end of day data so not much need to automate.

That said, these systems do not make as much as they could if they were traded manually. Assuming someone has the discipline required to trade them manually. When I first started I didn't have the discipline and the automation was a way for me to protect myself from myself. Now I am making a lot of progress on the discipline so I prefer to use the automated strategy ideas with some discretion.

Finally, it takes a long time to develop a working automated strategy but in the process one learns a lot about what works and doesn't work. So it's not a total waste.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to cunparis for this post:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
58 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
55 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
48 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
29 thanks

cunparis 
Paris, France

Moondialman View Post
Hey Eric,

Thanks for that, it makes more sense now, and I'll pass that on to my friend.

Meanwhile, I'll stick to the ES :-)

Cheers,

MDM.

ES has no spread but there are other disadvantages. It is volatile and they are masters at tricking you into exiting just before a big move. It still happens to me but not as often as it used to.

The following 2 users say Thank You to cunparis for this post:
 zeller4 
Orlando Florida

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT8
Trading: CL, NQ, ES, RTY
Thanks Given: 1,416
Thanks Received: 404

Seems I've had a bachelor's and master's in trading over the past 8 years. Now it's time to get a "job" as a trader in the real world!!! (as I continue to learn...)

Last year was able to start my small business out of my home - estimating commercial construction. That allowed me more freedom to watch the markets. However, I've also learned that I can't trade with one eye on the market. Therefore, I'm adjusting my hours of work around market time. I trade just 2 1/2 hours in the am and 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

I've been studying / sim-trading the Russell (TF) and have just started looking at ZN thanks to Sharky's various threads.

I'm trying to learn more about coding in NT (for the past 8 months) and enjoy working with the basics of customizing indicators / strategies.

As I've searched for the best indicators for me, I realize the most important aspect to trading for me (beyond the psychological considerations) is the money management plan. Was able to write a trading plan last year - just need to verify / practice what it says / stay focused.

Here's to your growth and learning...

PS - thanks to Mike for a great forum!

Kirk

The following user says Thank You to zeller4 for this post:

cunparis 
Paris, France

cunparis View Post
Now I am making a lot of progress on the discipline so I prefer to use the automated strategy ideas with some discretion.

Just wanted to clarify what I wrote here.. When I initially developed my automated strategies, I was working at least half of the days in the week so I couldn't do better manually even if I wanted. now I'm working mornings and I'm home for the US open at 3:30. I just started this schedule this week so we'll see how it goes but I'm thinking I can stop the automation and do it manually.

On the 3rd strategy wich is mechanical but not automated, today was the first time I didn't put in my order before the market open as I've been doing for the past year. So today my system showed two shorts. The market gapped up so I decided to wait and see if the two stocks continued up and then try to catch the turn down. I succeeded. One went up 6% and then I had to leave but it lookd to be topping out so I shorted it. It ended up closing the gap, hitting my 5% target and I got out. It closed up 5%. Had I placed an order at open I would have lost around 4% (it opened up 1%). Ok so that was longer than I intended but it is to say that I did better by doing it manually. Although what I did could be automated as well now that I think of it!

One more point: I've developed over 10 systems that I've traded with real money. Only 3 are left. The rest fell apart. So it's definitely not easy to have a system that continues working but it's possible. I've traded my stock system with real money almost every day for 1 year now.

The following user says Thank You to cunparis for this post:

vast 
Australia

Platform: Ninja
Thanks Given: 154
Thanks Received: 62

Hi
Been trading for over a year now. Based in Australia and try to trade the US RTH session.
Sometimes sleep wins though.
Trade the ES and had dabbled with the Russell, but gave it away after it went to ICE. ZN looks very interesting, thanks to the wisdom of Sharky.
Great forum Mike, and thanks for taking the time to invest in it.
Regards

rnr123 
USA

Platform: Ninjatrader
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

Hi,
i am a trader who likes to start trading futures. I trade mainly stocks and ETFs. I have been using NT for sometime and love using ATS, mainly on SDS, SPY, SRS... I found the site of Mike. It looks really good.

I hope to learn some tricks and pass on some aswell.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of this.

The following user says Thank You to rnr123 for this post:

sharky 
MIAMI,FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, tradingview
Broker: Private
Trading: Crypto and natural gas
Thanks Given: 625
Thanks Received: 3,906

well for starters its unregulated. and they can run up to your stop and take you out anytime they want with nothing you can do about it. if you put a mt-4 broker aganst gain,and ib you can see that they really play with the pips 50-50+ so its very dangerous to trade it even if your a decent trader.and aslo you are not trading agains the market your only trading against the other people on the same broker that you are on and they take trades against you...sharky

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to sharky for this post:
 goforbroke01 
Chicago

Platform: NT
Broker: IB
Thanks Given: 8

G'day - I'm a novice NT user who has benefited considerably from the contributions made by the people here and on the NT forum in trying to get my head around using a computer program to help me make money trading. Having the facility to, potentially, try out ideas in a no-risk environment, not having the backing of a math PhD or an IT department, is pretty good! Keep pushing the envelope and I will try and catch up and keep up.

The following user says Thank You to goforbroke01 for this post:
fy260498
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Given: 0

Name - Yusuf
Screen Name - fy260498 (It reminds me of something very important in my life)
Country - Australia
Trading Experience - More than 2 years
Favourite Platform - Ninja Trader, Meta Trader
Favourite Instrument - ES, 6E
Trading Success - Still not established
Qualification - Engineer but now trading for life

Wish you all happy trading and lots of learning here.

The following user says Thank You to fy260498 for this post:
 askinfo 
CA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 5

Hi all,

I am a new comer with less than 2 years experience.
Had trade with Woodiescci Club for a while with little success.
I am glad to find this site and hope to learn from these experienced traders.
Thank you.

Askinfo

The following user says Thank You to askinfo for this post:

Last Updated on March 17, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts