NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Introduce yourself here!

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 147 posts (3,963 thanks)
    2. looks_two nakachalet with 57 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xplorer with 45 posts (51 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 35 posts (24 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one roonius with 80 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wh with 56 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 George with 46.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 27 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,184,596 views
    2. thumb_up 11,973 thanks given
    3. group 6,308 followers
    1. forum 10,635 posts
    2. attach_file 94 attachments

Search this Thread

Introduce yourself here!

Laserdan 
North Carolina

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Ninja Trader Broker / Continuum
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 57

hey all,

I was a cubicle boy for years as a software achitect, moving from different contracts. Bought a business that I can run from my home (APA Franchise) and grew it enuf to have several full time employees.

Decided I wanted to learn to trade stocks and futures. I read everything I could get my hands on (Still reading) and Opened a SIM account. Set up my trading plan and stuck to it for 6 months in SIM.

I decided it was time for me to go live. Well then plan went out the window..So I have been live for 6 months now..Only blew up my account once, but flirting with it again.

I think I can contribute to this community with my programming experience, but then again Roonius is here...lol...and he is better than i am with C#

So looking forward to sharing and becoming profitable.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following 8 users say Thank You to Laserdan for this post:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
67 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
48 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
47 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
32 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,143
Thanks Received: 101,476

George View Post
Hello guys,

Here's my story.
I was introduced to trading by an old friend of mine back in 1999. It was during my university studies. And I was doing some business with small stuff. Mostly selling and buying things. I had saved some money, and the studies started to take a whole deal of energy and time, so I decided to stop with my business in order to concentrate on my studies more.

That's when this friend of mine came in the picture. He suggested that I would "invest" my money in stocks. I went like, what are those?
I didn't knew anything at all about the markets and how things worked. Anyway, he told me to read one of those daily financial newspaper and come back to him a week later. And so I did.

Now you see this dude, had a huge ego, and when I asked him to explain how things were working he just said that he will tell me one day. But for now, he instructed me on how to open an account and later ask him for some tip.

I opened an account and started to "hang on his door" in order to get my tip. On the first tip he gave me, I doubled (I was trading warrants) my money! Man, I thought I had found true alchemy. Remember guys this was back in 1999. I don't know if you guys were in this business back then but we had the IT bubble back then. It was crazy. There were stocks that were introduced in the markets today and one week later they increased their value with 700% or more.

So I started to make big money. In the mean time, I was starting to wonder how this guy was doing all this. So I asked him. But because of his big ego, he refused to tell me. I guess he liked that I was depending on him, it helped his ego to feel valuable.

Anyway, time went by, I started to throw myself into the markets and do money on my own. It was crazy. It took me about six month to four double my portfolio, and about four month to loose it all.

It took me about one year to understand that I had made money without having the slightest idea of what I was doing. I managed to blow up one more account shortly after.

But you see, something in me didn't just let me give up. It's been said that out of hundred people, about 75% surrenders after the first hindrance. After the second one there are only left about 10%, eventually you have about 1-5% that refuses to let go. Call it, stupidity, stubbornness, obsession, goal orientation. I believe it's a mixture all of these crazy factors.

And that's where I was, amoung those 1-5% that refused to give up.
You see trading is such a wonderful thing, because it gives you freedom and independence. At least that's what all people believe that doesn't know anything about real trading. It's the worlds freaking hardest job. But yes, we have to recognize that, it really rewards you with all that, when you've done it all the way.

So, back to my story. I managed to blow up one more account again. And that's when I got tired. Tired of loosing money. Unfortunately that's not gone hold you back from loosing them . But it's a big step , in the right direction.

By that time, I had managed to learn about technical analysis, and about indicators.

It's been said, that a trader goes through four phases.

1. Being unconsciously incompetent. That's when you don't know anything about the markets. Unfortunately most people get in the markets, on the last wave of a bull market. Like me, that's why I was able to four double my account, and that's why that old friend of mine, nailed almost every tip he gave me. The only thing required is to be in the markets. Everything is going up.

2.Consciously incompetent. That's when you've realised that making money in the markets has nothing to do with buying low and sell it higher. So you start learning technical analysis. But you still loose money.

3. Consciously competent. If you haven't given up by now. You have started to gain experience. You can read the markets and feel the pulse. You're discovering that there are more advanced things that you can use;Indicators. But unfortunately you still lose money.

4. Unconsciously competent. That's the zone guys. That's where you've managed to put all the pieces together. You've been through it all. You've learned to master yourself, and you've done such a great job, that you're trading without forcing yourself to do it. You're relaxed, and all the pieces, are there. Think of the way you guys drive your cars. You don't think of it, you just do it, and it turns out perfect.

Today I'm flirting with number 4, and my goal is to make it fully and to remain there.

I went here, because I finally understood that trading had to do everything with me. So after blowing up those accounts, and because of my stubbornness, I started to understand that the answers are not in those other parts. I started to study the brain, and how it functions.
This is odd, in a way. We all have one, and it's our controll panel, but we're not spending much time at all learning how it works. We cary it around above our shoulders, and that's it.
After studying the brain, and a lot of psychology, trading psychology, clinical psychology, you name it. The answers were still not there. And where the answers stops and you can't go further, you have to pass over to the spiritual realm.

That's when I finally started to get the answers. Please, understand me right. My approach has absolutely nothing to do with religion, faith or something in that direction. But simply with the mind, and it's implementation particularly in life. Unfortunately the mind is not standing on it's own scientific column yet. But it is there, it is there in your own life, and especially in trading, in the markets. Have you ever thought about it?
Have you ever thought that the markets are moved by a collective mind. And when you feel the pulse of the markets, you're doing that because you tap into that collective mind?

So that's my story more or less, I believe that, the most important approach to trading is mental. And it has everything to do with your mind, and what lies in there.

Trade well, and may the Trend Gods be with you all!
/George

George,

I always look forward to your insight and quoted your entire message in the hope fellow traders take the time to read your post(s) because they have really helped me.

So many traders place too much emphasis on technical analysis and not enough on mental discipline and fundamental understanding.

I think I am somewhere around 3 on your scale right now and I have started to think more and more like what you are describing, and it making more sense as "the bottom line" that never fails, unlike so many indicators which will ultimately let you down. Consider the brain and your psychology to be the best indicator you can have!

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following 13 users say Thank You to Big Mike for this post:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Laserdan View Post
hey all,

I was a cubicle boy for years as a software achitect, moving from different contracts. Bought a business that I can run from my home (APA Franchise) and grew it enuf to have several full time employees.

Decided I wanted to learn to trade stocks and futures. I read everything I could get my hands on (Still reading) and Opened a SIM account. Set up my trading plan and stuck to it for 6 months in SIM.

I decided it was time for me to go live. Well then plan went out the window..So I have been live for 6 months now..Only blew up my account once, but flirting with it again.

I think I can contribute to this community with my programming experience, but then again Roonius is here...lol...and he is better than i am with C#

So looking forward to sharing and becoming profitable.

Laserdan,

Welcome! Since you mentioned sim trading, maybe you can share your thoughts on this thread:

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to Big Mike for this post:
 Eric j 
NY

Platform: Esignal, MBT navigator
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 1,396
Thanks Received: 2,576

I have been trading a few years now and have blown up , regrouped and blown it up again . After losing plenty of real money I started losing sim money and progressed to losing less sim money and now am at the level of > breakeven with sim money .

I tested many many different approaches to develop an edge that works for me and found that indicators dont work for me . I find that they can be deadly for a while and then not help much for a while and produce a rollercoasterlike equity curve . I do like the innovative ways Mike and the others employ indicators , I just dont use them myself .

I look forward to being a part of the forums and good trading to all !

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Eric j View Post
I have been trading a few years now and have blown up , regrouped and blown it up again . After losing plenty of real money I started losing sim money and progressed to losing less sim money and now am at the level of > breakeven with sim money .

I tested many many different approaches to develop an edge that works for me and found that indicators dont work for me . I find that they can be deadly for a while and then not help much for a while and produce a rollercoasterlike equity curve . I do like the innovative ways Mike and the others employ indicators , I just dont use them myself .

I look forward to being a part of the forums and good trading to all !

Eric,

Welcome! Many successful traders don't use indicators, or only the most basic ones. I know Roonius for example trades like that.

Trading is 9/10th's controlled by you, not the market or indicators. I think you have to realize that first. Head over to our Psychology forum for more on that

Mike

systrader
Rocky Mountains

Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 37

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading Mike's blog for about 3 weeks (good stuff!). I'm a software developer by trade (.net) but recently returned to trading. I consider myself a beginner in that I have not traded for over 15 yrs.

After college I worked on the floor of the CME as an arb clerk (Euro Options pit) and the went on to work for small private investment firm. Along the way I discovered programming and some how went in that direction. Fast forward a decade and a half and here I am again

I am not trading full time yet but plan on doing so in the next 3-6 months. I'm taking my time this time and trying to leverage my programming to help build my own systems (not purely automated but enough of a system to help me stay disciplined etc).

Anyways, I look forward to helping grow this community, learning, and offering any help to others as I can along the way.

Cheers!
--Troy

p.s. - thanks mike!

The following 4 users say Thank You to systrader for this post:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

systrader View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading Mike's blog for about 3 weeks (good stuff!). I'm a software developer by trade (.net) but recently returned to trading. I consider myself a beginner in that I have not traded for over 15 yrs.

After college I worked on the floor of the CME as an arb clerk (Euro Options pit) and the went on to work for small private investment firm. Along the way I discovered programming and some how went in that direction. Fast forward a decade and a half and here I am again

I am not trading full time yet but plan on doing so in the next 3-6 months. I'm taking my time this time and trying to leverage my programming to help build my own systems (not purely automated but enough of a system to help me stay disciplined etc).

Anyways, I look forward to helping grow this community, learning, and offering any help to others as I can along the way.

Cheers!
--Troy

p.s. - thanks mike!

Hi Troy! Welcome!

We can never have enough programmers... I really look forward to seeing you around and everyone cooperating to make some serious money!

Mike

Crunchy
Denmark

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

Thank you for the forum, I am a software engeneer, but I rather be a trader, because it's very awarding, and hopefully can live freedom to LIVE and be free.

The following 2 users say Thank You to Crunchy for this post:
 Ferg 
Florida, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Equities
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

Thanks. I am looking forward to learning a lot.

The following 2 users say Thank You to Ferg for this post:

sharky 
MIAMI,FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, tradingview
Broker: Private
Trading: Crypto and natural gas
Thanks Given: 625
Thanks Received: 3,906

Hi everyone im sam turner and i have a small personal security company,i was in the army to long lol but now im a full time trader as well as a company owner and im blessed to have a nice life with wonderful friends.ive been trading 6 years now and i had some really good instructors and mentors,now when i have time i teach basic trading and scalping methods to wounded vets it gives them something to do with their mind instead of thinking about their missing limbs,and when they make money it boost their moral so much i see a real change in them and it blesses me so much to help them in any way i can.if anyone has any questions about scalping i would love to answer in any way that i can but i only trade the zn and i only scalp so please keep it along those lines.thanks for a wonderful blog and website and good luck in your trading venture...sam/sharky

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following 11 users say Thank You to sharky for this post:

Last Updated on March 17, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts