NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Lord Sidious's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Lord Sidious with 34 posts (8 thanks)
    2. looks_two Cloudy with 6 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Cashish with 5 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 monpere with 4 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 24 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Cashish with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Cloudy with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Lord Sidious with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,640 views
    2. thumb_up 105 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 67 posts
    2. attach_file 27 attachments

Search this Thread

Lord Sidious's Trading Journal

ddnut 
San Marcos, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: 6E, ES
Thanks Given: 125
Thanks Received: 33

Lord Sidious View Post

Guys, Iīm beggining to feel quite unconfortable trading my trading plan. I find too rigid and honestly, it should be more flexible. I feel as I have a strait jacket. In fact, entries oportunities are very few, if I follow all of the rules. Thatīs why today I did only 2 trades again. Both of them turned out as losses, but once again I was right regarding market direction.

I know that I commited myself to trade with this plan for 10 trading days (two weeks), but honestly, I was thinking about making some adjustments. What do you guys think?

Sticking to a plan is difficult but it is the only way to identify patterns in your trading that are not working. If you keep changing rules you will not know which ones are helpful and which ones are hurtful. But if you find that one of them is obviously not working then there is little reason to continue following that rule. The whole point of the exercise is to ensure that you have a proven edge before you commit serious capital.

Quoting 
I will enter trades after identify if the day is trending or ranging. Trade range days will be prefered.

I have not seen you mention this rule in your analysis. Are you sticking to this rule? Also note whether the trade is trend or countertrend.

Before you consider changing your rules, just make sure that you are following all your rules.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,371

Lord Sidious View Post
Yes, Cloudy, Iīm starting to agree that 8 points is too tight. I wonīt change my chart/rules until the end. 8 more trading days!

8 trading days at 2 or 3 trades per day is certainly not enough of a sample size to determine if any trading method has a good chance of being successful long term. As others have said before, backtesting is where you determine if a trading concept is worth even trying out in any forward fashion live or sim.

Also, changing your rules and or chart after 8 days, does not mean that you can continue forward with the assumptions that you derived from the previous 8 days. Whenever you change one thing, any thing about your method, all the conclusions you derived prior to that change should be considered void, and you should start the proofing process again from scratch (day 0), re-backtesting the new method with the new change, and moving forward again from there.

Thanked by:
Lord Sidious
Portugal

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 15

ddnut View Post
Sticking to a plan is difficult but it is the only way to identify patterns in your trading that are not working. If you keep changing rules you will not know which ones are helpful and which ones are hurtful. But if you find that one of them is obviously not working then there is little reason to continue following that rule. The whole point of the exercise is to ensure that you have a proven edge before you commit serious capital.

I see! Thatīs the idea, I agree! However Iīve seen already that Iīll have to change my stop loss. My 3 losing trades failed because the stops were easily hit.

ddnut View Post
I have not seen you mention this rule in your analysis. Are you sticking to this rule? Also note whether the trade is trend or countertrend.

Yes, Iīm sticking, although I forgot to mention. Thatīs one thing I could metion also, if the trade is trend or countertrend! Nice sugestion.

ddnut View Post
Before you consider changing your rules, just make sure that you are following all your rules.

Thatīs the reason for me to feel chained, Iīm following all my new rules.

Thanks for your input.

mrphr 
London

Experience: None
Platform: .
Trading: .
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 182

@Lord Sidious

Do you really need to use three oscillators [RSI, Stochastic, MACD]?
You do not need to answer me, instead ask that question to yourself.

Lord Sidious
Portugal

mrphr View Post
@Lord Sidious

Do you really need to use three oscillators [RSI, Stochastic, MACD]?
You do not need to answer me, instead ask that question to yourself.

Hi, mrphr!

Like I wrote before, these indicators give many false entries signals during a trading day. However, and altought we know that there are no certainties in the markets, if they are close to each, giving a signal, it could be better than not having them.

The purpose of this exercice is to test (even just for two weeks, as I know I need a lot more time), if my trading plan, tactis, rules and strategies show a proven edge. I trade for 18 months, thus Iīm at the beggining. This is a path I need to stay, in order to improve.

But, do you want to make a sugestion for other indicators?

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,371

Cloudy View Post
In regard to indicators, even though they always lag, they can be used in other ways to help gauge a probable entry or reasons to stay out of a trade, or exit a trade. For example, while a MACD alone will be lagging, looking for divergences with MACD in comparison to price is another way of using MACD , looking at a pattern on the MACD instead of just the current close of bar result of the MACD. Then there's also an average of the MACD which can help generalize the overall trend in the past 20 bars or so depending on its settings. Divergences can also be looked at on the stochastic. Stochastics can be helpful to a more experienced trader when price is in a range and the trader wants to scalp tops and bottoms. When there's more momentum and bigger movements in price, stochastics fail to show discernible fluctuations when they overstay it's oversold or undersold boundaries. And then a momentum indicator such as RSI would be more reflective of price movement in this scenario. Also, like TIYF said, it's important to have an awareness of price structure. Like knowing for example when price is in a consolidation phase vs. a trending phase, when a continuation breakout is likely to occur or a trend is showing weakness and a reversal may be coming soon. Price action material like Brook's can help in that area.

Except for the Al Brooks part, I would think you were reading directly from my trading plan!

Cloudy 
desert CA

Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

Thanks Monpere, I'm honored if I came somewhat close

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Lord Sidious
Portugal

No chance to trade yesterday. Thatīs the problem of trading part-time.

Everything is set for today! Looking forward to it!

Good trading!

Lord Sidious
Portugal

Hey, guys!

Iīve had my trading day 3. This time I tried on paper trading (one broker that uses the same platform of the one I use to investment. By the way, the platform is not very good, bugs, indicators disappear, etc. Two of the charts arenīt very good regarding image quality...).

Well, in about 45 minutes I did 3 trades. 3 winning trades!

I had to add the symbol of buying manually after copying the chart, as the platform didnīt added it (Chart 2)...

Here they are:

Trade 1 chart

Trade 2 chart

Trade 3 chart

Analysis:

All trades followed the rules/tacticts. You have days wainting hours to enter. I had entries in about 45 minutes...! About simulating trading, this time, I donīt know what to think, if the fact of not having pressure/emotions can have anything to do with the 3 sucessful trades. I think not, as I simply followed my plan, plain and simple. However, I think it could be better to think about paying close atention to the "M" (Mind) part.

Overall:

7 trades: (4 wins - 3 losses).

Good trading!

Cloudy 
desert CA

Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

Congrats Sidious, nice job!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on June 8, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts