NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why 7% is the Difference between Failure and Success in Trading

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Anagami with 32 posts (169 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 21 posts (146 thanks)
    3. looks_3 liquidcci with 10 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Luger with 6 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Anagami with 5.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Jigsaw Trading with 3.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 liquidcci with 2.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 37,736 views
    2. thumb_up 423 thanks given
    3. group 58 followers
    1. forum 109 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Why 7% is the Difference between Failure and Success in Trading

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Experience: Advanced
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

liquidcci View Post
60% is a very nice edge I would not call it monstrous. It is doable for long stretches of time.

60% at 1:2 RR is huge as indicated by the trials.

If it's doable, I'd like to see some records over longer periods of time. No takers yet.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors

liquidcci 
Austin, TX

Experience: Master
Platform: ninjatrader, r-trader
Trading: NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 610
Thanks Received: 1,091

Anagami View Post
60% at 1:2 RR is huge as indicated by the trials.

If it's doable, I'd like to see some records over longer periods of time. No takers yet.

Endless debate about putting trading records up. I for one will not do it because they are private and can be fabricated on a message board like this anyway. So it is moot.

This is definite doable and I think mistake to overlay your own experience onto what others have done and can do. I will say key though is to setup system that needs much less than 60% to survive and make money.

"The day I became a winning trader was the day it became boring. Daily losses no longer bother me and daily wins no longer excited me. Took years of pain and busting a few accounts before finally got my mind right. I survived the darkness within and now just chillax and let my black box do the work."
Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

liquidcci View Post
Endless debate about putting trading records up. I for one will not do it because they are private and can be fabricated on a message board like this anyway. So it is moot.

This is definite doable and I think mistake to overlay your own experience onto what others have done and can do. I will say key though is to setup system that needs much less than 60% to survive and make money.

Maybe even 66% is possible at 1:2 RR if one is very, very selective in setups. I have not achieved that and have not seen others do it, so it's in the "maybe, but unlikely" category.

Yes, it misses the point of the thread entirely, so I'm not sure why people keep bringing it up. For some strange reason, people are riled up to defend something.

More trials to come, with 1:1 RR and 1:0.5 RR (scalper targets).

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Thanked by:

liquidcci 
Austin, TX

Anagami View Post
Maybe even 66% is possible at 1:2 RR if one is very, very selective in setups. I have not achieved that and have not seen others do it, so it's in the "maybe, but unlikely" category.

Yes, it misses the point of the thread entirely, so I'm not sure why people keep bringing it up. For some strange reason, people are riled up to defend something.

More trials to come, with 1:1 RR and 1:0.5 RR (scalper targets).

I like your thread and find it interesting. Not trying to miss point of thread but threads tend to take on a life of their own and I think 60% at 1:2 RR is within the scope of discussion. It does take being selective in setups to get that win percentage with that ratio but is doable was my only point. Being selective is part of the game but it is possible to be to selective.

"The day I became a winning trader was the day it became boring. Daily losses no longer bother me and daily wins no longer excited me. Took years of pain and busting a few accounts before finally got my mind right. I survived the darkness within and now just chillax and let my black box do the work."
Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

liquidcci View Post
I like your thread and find it interesting. Not trying to miss point of thread but threads tend to take on a life of their own and I think 60% at 1:2 RR is within the scope of discussion. It does take being selective in setups to get that win percentage with that ratio but is doable was my only point. Being selective is part of the game but it is possible to be to selective.

The point of the thread is to explore the question: what percentage do I need to improve over randomness to be profitable?

With respect to 1:2 RR, that percentage seems to be 7 (or the ballpark is somewhere there).

60% at 1:2 RR is virtually a license to print money. Since that is a huge edge and since over 90% of people in this business are losers and probably the same percentage of people are full of it, I am quite skeptical.

Just because it's doable doesn't mean it's doable for very many people out there. Some people go to Olympics and some receive the Noble prize. I personally have not met either.

Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

I suspect that for the majority of people out there, their entries (and probably trade management) is worse than random. They are below the random 33% category at 1:2 RR (meaning they are trapped more often than a random trader would be).

The public loses more than it's entitled to, as Bacon famously notes.

Thanked by:

liquidcci 
Austin, TX

Anagami View Post
The point of the thread is to explore the question: what percentage do I need to improve over randomness to be profitable?

With respect to 1:2 RR, that percentage seems to be 7 (or the ballpark is somewhere there).

60% at 1:2 RR is virtually a license to print money. Since that is a huge edge and since over 90% of people in this business are losers and probably the same percentage of people are full of it, I am quite skeptical.

Just because it's doable doesn't mean it's doable for very many people out there. Some people go to Olympics and some receive the Noble prize. I personally have not met either.

I understand being skeptical. Reality most people are not even profitable thus the high failure rate. I am speaking from own experience I can get 60% with 1:2 risk to reward ratio. But to not be as selective I tend to get around 55% consistently at a 1:2 ratio. I am still selective and setup my system to limit trades with purpose. Quality trades with good money management to scale trades is a license to print money.

Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

liquidcci View Post
I understand being skeptical. Reality most people are not even profitable thus the high failure rate. I am speaking from own experience I can get 60% with 1:2 risk to reward ratio. But to not be as selective I tend to get around 55% consistently at a 1:2 ratio. I am still selective and setup my system to limit trades with purpose. Quality trades with good money management to scale trades is a license to print money.

If true, those are some excellent stats and you're making a boatload of money. Thanks for sharing!

Later today, we'll be looking at the 1:1 ratio.

Thanked by:

eudamonia 
Sacramento, CA

Experience: None
Platform: None
Broker: ADM and Sierra Charts
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 308
Thanks Received: 449

Anagami View Post
At 1:2 RR, 40% winning rate overcomes vig (that's not to say that vig isn't important. It is.)

Yes, edges are stronger on higher timeframe, but there's much less opportunity.

Suppose one goes from trading 5 min charts to daily charts. You have just reduced your opportunity by a factor of 81!! (There's 81 bars every day on 5 min chart).

Absolutely correct.

liquidcci View Post

As stated above if this edge is executed regularly this is a very strong edge indeed. However, I do want to note again that holding time matters a great deal. It is not that difficult to design a method that has an average of a 1:2 ratio and 55-60% win ratio if that system is taking 5 trades a month. Certainly to design such a system is not within the realm of "liar". Translating that into a system that can take 5 trades a week and keep the same statistics is a whole nother ball of wax.

Personally, I find a system that can get about 5 trades per week with a mere 50% win ratio and 1:1.5 average is more than enough license to print money.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

Anagami View Post
At 1:2 RR, 40% winning rate overcomes vig (that's not to say that vig isn't important. It is.)

Yes, edges are stronger on higher timeframe, but there's much less opportunity.

Suppose one goes from trading 5 min charts to daily charts. You have just reduced your opportunity by a factor of 81!! (There's 81 bars every day on 5 min chart).

Edges are stronger on a higher timeframe?

Can I ask where you get that from? The edge that 99% of prop firms teach is trading off the order book, which is arguably the lowest timeframe of them all.

As for reducing your opportunity by 81 - how did you calculate this? Surely opportunity is measured by what comes along and not by a mathematical formula...

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 29, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts