NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Multicharts with .Net

Discussion in MultiCharts

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jura with 24 posts (21 thanks)
    2. looks_two TonyB with 12 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Bimi with 9 posts (14 thanks)
    4. looks_4 tx413 with 9 posts (29 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tx413 with 3.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Bimi with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Jura with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 andrewtrader with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 65,784 views
    2. thumb_up 102 thanks given
    3. group 41 followers
    1. forum 141 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Multicharts with .Net

Jura   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,352
Thanks Received: 690

For people who are currently contemplating buying MC .NET or not, this might be valuable to know:

Quoting 
Planned price increase for MultiCharts .NET

We get a lot of questions as to why MC .NET is cheaper than MultiCharts regular edition. The current price is 33% lower than regular version of MultiCharts – it was designed to help introduce the product and give our customers a extra value.

The product has now been available for 5 months, and there is a planned price increase to match the regular MultiCharts edition. The price change will take effect on January 7th, 2013.

Source: Planned price increase for [AUTOLINK]MultiCharts[/AUTOLINK] .NET [AUTOLINK]MultiCharts[/AUTOLINK] Blog

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS, TS & MC
Broker: TDA & TS
Trading: Stock, Options and now Futures (ES)
Thanks Given: 227
Thanks Received: 140

Jura View Post
For people who are currently contemplating buying MC .NET or not, this might be valuable to know:

Source: Planned price increase for [AUTOLINK]MultiCharts[/AUTOLINK] .NET [AUTOLINK]MultiCharts[/AUTOLINK] Blog

Thanks Jura. I just received the email also and was going to post the same...

If you have the .NET version, are you finding yourself using it more than the original, EL / PL one?

Jura   is a Vendor

TonyB View Post
If you have the .NET version, are you finding yourself using it more than the original, EL / PL one?

More or less the same I suppose. I use the regular MultiCharts now on a different pc just to plot some intraday charts, and the .NET version on the main pc for creating stuff.

But in regards to programming is PowerLanguage still something that I find easier and quicker than C#, but admittedly, lately I didn't had much time to study C#, so that didn't help either. Have you made the switch to the .NET version?

Thanked by:

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS, TS & MC
Broker: TDA & TS
Trading: Stock, Options and now Futures (ES)
Thanks Given: 227
Thanks Received: 140

Jura View Post
More or less the same I suppose. I use the regular MultiCharts now on a different pc just to plot some intraday charts, and the .NET version on the main pc for creating stuff.

But in regards to programming is PowerLanguage still something that I find easier and quicker than C#, but admittedly, lately I didn't had much time to study C#, so that didn't help either. Have you made the switch to the .NET version?

Thank you Jura. No, I have not (made the switch to .NET). I've been curious how .NET might be different, but it truly seems that for my purposes, MC is ideal.

I still do all of my trading (stock, ETF, options and some futures) on the ThinkorSwim (TOS) platform by TD Ameritrade (TDA). I have several accounts there, all linked, so it just makes sense.

I don't have much in the way of a data source for MC, so I rarely even open it. I currently have equity data only for MC, but since that data (via Open E-Cry) is not as abundant as what TDA / TOS provides, I don't gravitate to MC, and use TOS only, which is pretty dang good.

I got MC at a discounted price and don't regret it though. The back-testing capabilities was a driving force, and I hope to make time to test current equity / option strategies and refine them with MC. Looks like MC got Volume Profile finally, which is great. I like how the platform is evolving and hope to use it someday soon. I have a 1 and 3 year old, so this hasn't been a priority...

Thanks Jura for your input.

Thanked by:

andby 
Norwich, UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple:research&executi
Broker: Started with Stage5/OEC ... multiple
Trading: Anything found profitable goes ...
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 88

Jura View Post

Hi Jura,

I remember some time ago Multicharts had an offer $1994.00 for Multicharts & Multicharts .NET bundle lifetime, which is $500 lower than the current website offer.
It's worthwhile asking them if they still have that offer. In the light of planned price increase, that offer seems more attactive now.

Regards

avfx
Helsinki Finland

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 2

Since I've got this price increase stuff in my email from both MC and now through this forum due to subbing to the thread, I think I want to have my 2 cents on it.

And they are: Multicharts don't know much about marketing. Would have been better to just advertise the regular price and then advertise that there's an offer for limited time, rather than advertise the price x and then spam about raising the price by large %. That may be a fine approach in the US but I'm not in US and expect more clever marketing than that or it's just going to annoy me like the tone my posts will anyone who reads them (I write in annoyed tone when I'm annoyed, and I'm annoyed most of the time). The best marketing advise I can give is to set a regular price and have promotions that are irresistable - 75% off is a good one, but it needs to be very subtly and irregularly marketed like that so that it won't become an expectation and people won't go shouting out that "wait for X and it'll be 75% off", and ideally only price it like this for those who are otherwise lost cause - this might be harder to figure out but I pretty much told them what my offer is during a trial.

Now I don't even work in marketing but I'm a very reluctant customer and if it's free then it likely worthless, a very limited 75% off would on the other hand make it more of a "steal" and that's much more appealing assuming I think it might be worth something. Same could work for this forum as well. I'm tempted to see the "elite" section but it's hard to gauge what's in there. I know there's some Ninja indicators, but I don't use Ninja after hearing how buggy it is. I could use closer relations with traders and live chat and services (risk management) to avoid entering or being in trades at obviously (to more experience traders) bad times (I tend to see opportunity where there is none or where there is too high risk but don't have anyone to discuss it with).

In the end I decided to just code my own solution since all the solutions on the market are either too buggy or target a market in which they are too expensive, or use obscure language with poor debugger and so on.

The big issue with MC.NET from a C# dev (not professional) perspective was that it was not as simple as just making a change in code pressing a single key and getting the results, rather I had to attach VS to MC.NET and that's multi-step process, too much hassle for me. I'd rather have my strategy in it's own executable and use MC.NET as a library and visualization service.

Thanked by:

masterchanger 
Chicago, IL

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation,Multicharts
Broker: TradeStation, CQG,Binance.us
Trading: ES,NQ,6E,6J,6B,GC,S,HG,W,CL,NG
Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Received: 22

I bot the bundle deal this weekend and as such I am glad they didn't charge more from the start and allowed the 5 month for me to realize what I wanted to do vs. buying NT lifetime license. The exposure to the software products I received here on futures.io (formerly BMT) was very important in helping me make my choice. Thanks Big Mike for your software presentations and various webinars from the various vendors.

Now is the Time!

Jura   is a Vendor

avfx View Post
And they are: Multicharts don't know much about marketing.

(..)

Same could work for this forum as well. I'm tempted to see the "elite" section but it's hard to gauge what's in there.

If I understand you correctly, you buy products (whether it being a trading platform or an Elite membership) not based on the intrinsic value but based on the marketing quality? That seems a little odd to me, especially since marketing is most often just talk.

As you probably know, Mike's position with Elite memberships is that these are aimed at people who want to support the community regardless of the quality or quantity of the Elite Downloads. So it makes sense not to actively market or advertise this membership. And I'm glad for that, since that would probably turn must people off.

avfx View Post
In the end I decided to just code my own solution since all the solutions on the market are either too buggy or target a market in which they are too expensive, or use obscure language with poor debugger and so on.

The big issue with MC.NET from a C# dev (not professional) perspective was that it was not as simple as just making a change in code pressing a single key and getting the results, rather I had to attach VS to MC.NET and that's multi-step process, too much hassle for me.

True, MC .NET is not as simple as processing a single key. But you don't need to use VS if you don't want too, unless you want to debug. But then again, every debugger for every software requires you to attach to the running process. So it's not extra hassle compared with other platforms (NT for example).

I also fail to see how coding your own platform/software would be more simple and less hassle than buying existing software (regardless it being MC, NT, SC or any other platform).

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MC, MC.Net, NT, TWS
Broker: IB / IQFeed / Kids
Trading: Forex, stocks
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 460

For the record previously a diehard NT user I bought the MC bundle last year some time after .Net was released and started using MC immediately, which meant converting my custom indicators from NT C# to PowerLanguage (which meant learning PowerLanguage). Recently I started using MC .Net almost exclusively, mainly for the programming flexibility (specifically want to read files and interface to C# DLLs) and am in the process of converting custom indicators to PowerLanguage .Net (MC .Net's version of C#/VB).

I found MC's documentation sparse compared to NT's documentation (mainly a dearth of examples) although there are enough EasyLanguage examples on the internet (including futures.io (formerly BMT)) that I was never at a total loss. Not having a TradeStation subscription makes some things harder than they need to be, like maintaining reasonably up-to-date versions of ELCollections and ADE. I'm finding MC .Net's documentation even more sparse.

I upgraded to the latest version of MC .Net when it became available (MultiCharts .NET64 Version 8.5 Beta 2/Build 6526) and was initially chagrined to discover not all built-in functions & indicators were compiled, moreover would not compile, and ended up deleting the offenders rather than messing with them. Trust things like that will be fixed in the next release.

On that note, while both MC .Net and NT insist on compiling all uncompiled sources in the functions/indicators/signals folders when you try to compile new source code, unlike NT MC .Net will compile new source code and allow you to use it even though other source code still has issues.

No other issues so far aside from a couple of minor quirks (e.g., occasionally a recompiled indicator will not update on the charts automatically, needs to be removed and installed).

Overall I prefer MC to NT as a trader because in my experience MC is significantly more stable and PowerLanguage does pretty much what a trader needs it to do, not that I haven't managed to crash MC from time to time. As a programmer developing bots and doing research into market behaviour however I also need .Net functionality and expect MC .Net to provide that while maintaining the stability.

Edited to add: BTW, on the topic of MC .Net documentation I arrived on this thread just now via a Google search while trying to find out what the MC .Net C# equivalents of the PowerLanguage (current bar) "Date" and "Time" functions are Turns out to be Bars.Time[].

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Jura   is a Vendor

bnichols View Post
No other issues so far aside from a couple of minor quirks (e.g., occasionally a recompiled indicator will not update on the charts automatically, needs to be removed and installed).

That is indeed an annoyance. Might be related to this Project Management issue: MC-1081 - Provide a workaround for detecting changes in functions, but sadly, I don't know a workaround for this.

Last Updated on June 27, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts